Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fanatical Zealot

Omorose Panya
Suicidesoldier#1
Bending comes from within, something you can learn, anyone can learn.

Like with everyone though some people persue other pursuits.

It is unclear why some can bend and others cannot.

It's possible that they just don't feel in tune with the element or don't respond well to training.

If you noticed, throughout the series they learned new techniques- bend the plants, suck out the water for use, expand the water to turn into ice, and things like that.

Then they learned stranger things, like shooting out lightning and bending metal.

Toph could see through the ground but hardly any other earthbender, even ang, ever used that technique- he didn't even learn to use metal bending.

Then, they learned to bend from the sun, some from the moon, some from all kinds of sources. You saw different styles throughout the series and it wasn't the technological limit but the mental one that stopped them. It is the being possessed by hundreds of people who've gained wisdom from the hundreds before them that gave the people their power., the knowledge, not necessarily any type of inherent ability.

In that way it was knowledge. You rarely see cross people becuase the nations were always separate, isolated, on purpose- in these days and age, it's not anymore. As well, if you notice there are more airbenders- why? All the air nomads were wiped out. Ang would have had to be pretty prolific to produce that many children. It is likely he gave them powers, being able to bend the bending of others.

In that way the bending of others may be warped, or it may be some kind of inner spiritual thing- Ang was very spiritual. More or less, it is spirit that gives hem power- throughout the series sokka was very down to earth, while Ang was more about magic and personal feeling and stuff.

It is belief and spirit that gives rise to the power, and more importantly training and grasp of what is possible, along with flawless execution.

While Sokka was good with his boomerang, he may just have been bad at getting the right moves, as evident by a lot of his fighting. He also lacked the spiritual side of things.

"Genetics" really has nothing to do with it.

You just got to believe.
hheeeyyyy you

blaugh

Chimera_69's Husbando

14,175 Points
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Gender Swap 100
I think Genetics just make it easier to learn bending.

As people first learned from animals how to bend, and if parents were benders it makes it easier for the kid to be able to bend.

I think Aang and Katara had a child who could waterbend and they have Tazen who bends air, not to mention all of his children can bend air as well despite there no bender mother.

It stands to reason it is also a spiritual thing as Korra seems more physical with no spirituality un like Aaang who was very spiritual.

I just taught of this but it seems the avatar has problems with the perivous element the last avatar mastered first.

Aang had trouble with Fire, and Korra's having trouble with air bending.

Fanatical Zealot

The Rogue Fedora
I remember reading at one point that the writers had said that each of the elements corresponds to a season and the season that someone is born has a strong correlation to their bending element.

Fall, Winter, Spring, and Summer correspond to Air, Water, Earth, and Fire respectively. You also might recall that these the order of the seasons is the same as the order of the avatar cycle and the order in which the avatar is supposed to learn the elements. It also reflects the Last Airbender as the actual seasons Aang learned each element during. It began with him already knowing air bending, but the first season of the show was Winter, when he learned Water bending, then Spring when he learned Earthbending, and then Summer when he learned Firebending.

Admittedly this still doesn't fully explain why you didn't get Firebenders in the Earth kingdom, (etc.), but after that it's all about training and mentality.

It's possible they just never got the training or the influence they needed to develop their skills.

They could even have been repressed in fear due to the fear of the other nations, particularly the fire nation and be labeled as one.

Fanatical Zealot

The Scarlet Woman
Behold, for I bring link to an interview with the creators in which this very subject is brought up! Read and be enlightened!

"I mean we've definitely talked about it. I think, again, sometimes we might not know...it's more of what we don't want it to be. We didn't want it to be like there is a lineage...a royal family or something...and these people can bend and then there's everyone else as non-bending, people who never will. Some sort of caste system. Mike and I are more attracted to more of the flux type universe. The only constant is change, variation, that sorta thing. I'm sure it's a bunch of factors."

Pretty much. xp

Shadowy Rogue

11,200 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Forum Regular 100
Suicidesoldier#1
The Rogue Fedora
I remember reading at one point that the writers had said that each of the elements corresponds to a season and the season that someone is born has a strong correlation to their bending element.

Fall, Winter, Spring, and Summer correspond to Air, Water, Earth, and Fire respectively. You also might recall that these the order of the seasons is the same as the order of the avatar cycle and the order in which the avatar is supposed to learn the elements. It also reflects the Last Airbender as the actual seasons Aang learned each element during. It began with him already knowing air bending, but the first season of the show was Winter, when he learned Water bending, then Spring when he learned Earthbending, and then Summer when he learned Firebending.

Admittedly this still doesn't fully explain why you didn't get Firebenders in the Earth kingdom, (etc.), but after that it's all about training and mentality.

It's possible they just never got the training or the influence they needed to develop their skills.

They could even have been repressed in fear due to the fear of the other nations, particularly the fire nation and be labeled as one.
Yeah, attitude seems to be a really big deal about it.

Even Aang, who we already knew could learn all four elements, was trying to learn Earth and Fire bending, he could do absolutely nothing until he got well into his training. It's implied that if you have the wrong mindset or attitude for an element, it's impossible for you to learn that element. So you could have potential water benders (or whatever) in the Fire nation (or whatever) who don't ever realize they could be water benders because they don't think like water benders.

Fanatical Zealot

The Rogue Fedora
Suicidesoldier#1
The Rogue Fedora

Yeah, attitude seems to be a really big deal about it.

Even Aang, who we already knew could learn all four elements, was trying to learn Earth and Fire bending, he could do absolutely nothing until he got well into his training. It's implied that if you have the wrong mindset or attitude for an element, it's impossible for you to learn that element. So you could have potential water benders (or whatever) in the Fire nation (or whatever) who don't ever realize they could be water benders because they don't think like water benders.

3nodding

4,700 Points
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Like people have said, I believe it is in heredity, like hair or eyes.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff