Legend of Korra 0.2962962962963 29.6% [ 16 ]
Total Votes:[ 54 ]
1 2 >

Witty Hunter

9,200 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
The original story that started it all. A slow beginning but became something great.

Legend of Korra.
The sequal. A big start with clear intentions to be the opposite of ATLA.

So which do you guys prefer?

Aged Zealot

Character wise: Definitely TLA
Story wise: LoK

Korra had a better foundation to go off of. And after a rocky start of season one, they did great in the following seasons. Generally the characters are not as easy to connect with and attach one's self to, but I like them and their personalities just fine.

DropDeadSweetHeart06's Significant Otter

Questionable Sex Symbol

10,400 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
  • Clambake 200
Neither. They're both very strong stories that expand upon the same world in their own ways. To me, they are on par with one another.

8,900 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Invisibility 100
They are both excellent series brilliantly put together but I personally find ATLA more enjoyable to watch. LoK is amazing in it's own way but I find myself more so disturbed with most of the situations shown on it.
meh to all those people who couldn't pick a side

legend of korra is the real deal, better writing, no katara
tomboyish girls>monks tru.
only thing i might miss from ATLA is sokka. sorry bolin. lol

Demonic Human

I loved ATLA and I think that season 3 of Korra returned the series to it's former glory.
Did not like season 1 or 2...

Fashionable Gaian

15,350 Points
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Consumer 100
LoK definitely - ATLA is for children and clearly constructed that way episode wise.

Everything that happens in one LoK episode is the equivalent amount in like..ten ATLA episodes for me. This is in my opinion of course, rewatching ATLA is not at all as interesting or exciting as a single LoK episode, even though that serie is great too.
ATLA would win easily. To be fair to LoK though, your pretty much going up against one of the best series ever made. Its hard to top the original and as far as LoK stands, it is still extremely good (ignoring a majority of book 2)

Fashionable Warlord

ATLA -shrug- I didn't really ever watch
it until i sat down and watched the whole thing on
amazon last week... but definitely ATLA

I've heard it wasn't intended to make it past a 1st season
the fact it did was almost a shock to the creators
but idk I just heard that

They... sugar coated too much, glided over a lot
of things that could have been interesting and
left a lot of... gaps in routes which
could have been explored more thoroughly

but... it was interesting and the characters were
exciting and developed nicely as the series
progressed

I found Korra boring. She was... irritating to me
a character I couldn't sympathize with
and I found little better in Mako and Bolin -shrug-
the whole thing was just... boring so I haven't
really watched any of Korra just what little of
season 1 I made it through
LOK is too short and fast paced to allow for the depth of genuine character development that makes a story stronger.

It also suffers from over-extending itself to try and up the stakes. I've played a lot of RPGs and watched a lot of fantasy shows. Saving the world is kind of a repeating factor, sure, but when the same character begins to save the world multiple times it becomes too redundant and broken. There is a way to make a story interesting and climactic without having to save the entire world, and with multiple seasons that each have their own main plot they should have started with something smaller. The second season's ending went completely overboard with the "Epic" level as well. Not to mention it's so colorful I can't watch it without getting a headache.

In ATLA all the "comic relief" actually grows on you and becomes less cringe inducing and child-like as you become a fan of the characters. There's still a few rough moments in the first couple episodes but it picks up and finds its stride. LOK however has moments that are just bad and they dot pretty much the entire series so far. One that sticks out is the random scene where my least favorite character ever, milo, trains all the lemurs. it's just weird and out of place.

Also I'm pretty sure the majority of ATLA fans raged when Bolin says "I like the new team avatar style".

I don't hate LOK, but I knew it would never be as good as ATLA. Without high hopes it came across to me as a pretty good show.

In ATLA bending is not only still in a bit of a discovery kind of age compared to LOK, but it has different styles of martial arts forms that seem to be required to perform the techniques. There was definitely nothing as OP as Psychic blood bending in ATLA. There were rules and guidelines. Only in extreme circumstances of prodigy or power were these rules expanded upon, but never broken. In LOK that's all thrown out the window, and unique powerful forms of bending become very common place.

Amon being able to take away peoples bending with blood bending as opposed to the avatar bending somebodies spirit is to me, akin to the addition of "mediclorians" in the star wars universe. It takes something that's supposed to be more than the physical and brings it down to a simpler physical element.

I've heard a lot of people say Book 3 brings LOK back to the good old avatar spirit but I disagree, there are some stronger elements to it, and the ending may have touched our desire as fans for it to go back by having Jinora look like Aang and Korra go through such a messed up scenario, but it's still far behind IMO. For one, I would require a much better explanation as to how harmonic convergence gave random non-benders air bending. Did it also give a bunch of other non-benders the other elements too? It was just tossed in out of convenience to bring a villain with void bending (I totally called void bending before Korra was even announced).

The best thing to come out of LOK is the Avatar's origin story.

First, let me say that I love both shows because they never talk down to their audience, they have good ideas.

AtLA: This series is just a classic. Every small detail about it was so, so right. It seems like every character had development, points of interest, motives, drives. Almost every character had their own quirks, and full, well-developed personalities. The series really was great start to finish, and even the odd filler episode was worth watching.

And season three was just a flat-out masterpiece. The character development was just a joy to watch, and the finales were a joy to watch. The fights were well choreographed and the first between Zuko and Azula struck juuuust the right note of tragic. The way they handled Azula's clear mental illness still gives me chills, in a good way.

LoK: This series was rushed, but I understand why. Each season had to be a complete story because no one knew if it would be the last. First they thought season 1 would be the only season, then when season 1 was a hit, they were contracted for season 2 and so on.

So it was rushed, but I am willing to overlook it for the sake of fairness.

LoK has a much, much more refined art style than Avatar, and I do really love it. It's not quite what avatar was stylistically, but it is definitely great. The backgrounds are breathtaking, the characters look great, and the fight choreography, MY GOD THE FIGHT CHOREOGRAPHY IS JUST GORGEOUS. I WANT TO MARRY ALL OF THE ANIMATORS INVOLVED. ALL OF THEM.

Season 1 was really great. I enjoyed the bender v nonbender conflict, and I wish they would've had time to do more with it. My BIGGEST gripe is the deus ex at the end of the season where all of Amon's damage was magically undone and there were no lasting consequences.

Season 2 was a trainwreck. They started off being interesting, I liked the political themes of unrest between the northern and southern water tribes, and I wished they'd done more with it. I almost gave up on the series because of this season, though...

And then Season 3 renewed my faith. Every episode was interesting, the villians were insanely awesome. The fights were awesome to watch and it was a ******** SOLID season from start to finish.

In short: between the two, I think AtLA is better as a compete series. The emotional highs and lows were much better than anything LoK has brought to the table. There are so many things in AtLA that still make me blubber like a big baby.

LoK is cinematically superior. There's really just no arguing that in my mind.

And I think the best season in the series is a tie between both LoK season 3 and AtLA season 3.

LoK- better story plot, and more emotion to the events. Korra seems like a more human Avatar, instead of the monkish/mostly enlightened Avatar that Aang was. More different kinds of bending, we get to see more of the back-story to everything. Not to mention Lin Bei Fong smile who is a badass
It's not even a contest. ATLA.

Dapper Nerd

Verne the Vaudevillian
Neither. They're both very strong stories that expand upon the same world in their own ways. To me, they are on par with one another.

Yep. You've summed up how I feel as well.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff