Welcome to Gaia! ::

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx❝ I saw an angels w i n g s on your back ❞x

I can't help but feel like there is some truth to his words.

I mean think about it. It's true that most of the war and hostility in the Avatar world is caused by bending. So wouldn't you, if you were a non-bender, come to resent that?

And I can't help but feel like a lot of the benders do think of themselves as better than non-benders. I even hear this coming from a lot of the main characters. Like someone who isn't a bender is somehow incomplete.

IMO if I were the Avatar I'd enforce mandatory Chi-Blocking training for all non-benders. Why? Because when non-benders are established as a fifth power in the world, and have the capability to defend themselves / are equally as strong as benders - I think a lot of the resentment would die down.

Demonic Raider

8,250 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Befriended 100
In a way, you have a point. A friend of mine said that non-benders turn to benders for protection during the 100 year war, now, they become something that they feel envy, fear, and resentment.

Assimilated Gekko

That's a mark of a good series that deals with complex issues well. heart
Warrior_Nun801
In a way, you have a point. A friend of mine said that non-benders turn to benders for protection during the 100 year war, now, they become something that they feel envy, fear, and resentment.

Benders were the cause of that century long war. Any 'protection' they offered to non-benders was strictly in order to protect the power of the bending leaders. It was a war of benders against benders: and while we weren't showed it, I'd be willing to bet massive amounts of non-benders were effected by such a massive conflict.
And you don't see how that's going to be a problem? Not everyone can learn Chi-blocking. Just like how not everyone can bend. You've seen the agility it takes to jump around let alone actually hit the benders in the certain points to block off chi... What makes you think every nonbender can do that? Course they can't. Korra will have to figure out a way that brings peace to nonbenders and benders alike.
RoleplayPirateNinjaZombie
And you don't see how that's going to be a problem? Not everyone can learn Chi-blocking. Just like how not everyone can bend. You've seen the agility it takes to jump around let alone actually hit the benders in the certain points to block off chi... What makes you think every nonbender can do that? Course they can't. Korra will have to figure out a way that brings peace to nonbenders and benders alike.

Well the show certainly seems to believe that every bender is born with that kind of ability - despite the fact that bending in and of itself clearly doesn't give physical benefits.

But yes. The vast majority of non-benders should be able to fight like a bender if the proper programs were put into place from a young age.

Obviously we're not going to take an old non-bender Grandma and take her knitting needles and force her to learn how to fight. But for the next generation? Why not.

I'll admit I didn't watch the entire first series so if Chi-Blocking is something more genetic than I'm proposing here, someone please correct me. But if not - it's a skill that can be taught just like bending.
D ii S S O N A N C E

Well the show certainly seems to believe that every bender is born with that kind of ability - despite the fact that bending in and of itself clearly doesn't give physical benefits.

But yes. The vast majority of non-benders should be able to fight like a bender if the proper programs were put into place from a young age.

Obviously we're not going to take an old non-bender Grandma and take her knitting needles and force her to learn how to fight. But for the next generation? Why not.

I'll admit I didn't watch the entire first series so if Chi-Blocking is something more genetic than I'm proposing here, someone please correct me. But if not - it's a skill that can be taught just like bending.

Genetic? No. But it's sort of like a ninja's martial art in some respect. Ty Lee was the only one from the first season who could block chi. But all the Chi blockers were all extremely athletic and very agile.

Heckler

Yup, I agree as well. There's a real issue that Amon's hit on that makes me all giddy when I think about how they could explore it. Like do benders and non-benders socialize with each other a lot? Do they have separate establishments like schools or hospitals? What kind of preferential treatment do benders get in society? Because they must, I can't imagine that people who can lift boulders and blast fireballs are treated just the same as Joe Blow.

And if you think strictly about Republic City there must be bigger gangs than the Triple Threat Triad out there, so will they play a role in any of this? Do they collaborate with some legitimate authorities? And if they have non-bender members what do they do?

God it makes me so excited I could shake with anticipation. The relationship between benders and non-benders is something I've been wondering about since I watched the last series and finally we get a cool story and story arc to explain it all.

Though I dunno if chi-blocking is a totally viable option, since I don't think everyone has the stamina or agility to face down a bender with those techniques. (I know I couldn't.) Besides, I can only see it breeding more intolerance since benders are always going to be afraid of chi-blockers and kids will be trained from their earliest days to always be wary of benders. It's a good way of empowering people but I don't see it mending their relationships and promoting harmonic co-existence.

I don't really know how this could work at all except by taking bending away or giving the ability of bending to everybody. Then again I'm not especially creative with solutions since I was born with the type of negative mindset that just poke flaws into everything. :T
D ii S S O N A N C E

Genetic? No. But it's sort of like a ninja's martial art in some respect. Ty Lee was the only one from the first season who could block chi. But all the Chi blockers were all extremely athletic and very agile.

From what I understand Ty Lee was the only Chi-Blocker shown on the show; but I'd think there would have to be a hand full more of course. She had to learn it from someone, after all. And so on and so on. Unless the fact that she was the only one on the show is what you meant, in which case just ignore this. XD;

I understand where you're coming from but still don't think it would be impossible. Benders are required to train from a young age, too - and so could non-benders. And from what we've seen of Ty Lee - Chi blocking is not only used to render bending useless, but also muscles. (It's sort of like the Gentle Fist in Naruto, if anyone gets the comparison.)

Certainly athleticism and agility has some basis in genetics but a larger part of it is training and dedication.

And let's remember that they don't have to fight as well as Amon's goons. Or Ty Lee for that matter. Most benders don't fight as well as Korra, Katara, Mako, Zuko etc. I'd say most benders are significantly less trained in the offensive arts than our lead characters.

Hopefully I make sense. razz Sometimes I talk too much and start getting off track.
W4NT0N 50UP
Yup, I agree as well. There's a real issue that Amon's hit on that makes me all giddy when I think about how they could explore it. Like do benders and non-benders socialize with each other a lot? Do they have separate establishments like schools or hospitals? What kind of preferential treatment do benders get in society? Because they must, I can't imagine that people who can lift boulders and blast fireballs are treated just the same as Joe Blow.

And if you think strictly about Republic City there must be bigger gangs than the Triple Threat Triad out there, so will they play a role in any of this? Do they collaborate with some legitimate authorities? And if they have non-bender members what do they do?

God it makes me so excited I could shake with anticipation. The relationship between benders and non-benders is something I've been wondering about since I watched the last series and finally we get a cool story and story arc to explain it all.

Though I dunno if chi-blocking is a totally viable option, since I don't think everyone has the stamina or agility to face down a bender with those techniques. (I know I couldn't.) Besides, I can only see it breeding more intolerance since benders are always going to be afraid of chi-blockers and kids will be trained from their earliest days to always be wary of benders. It's a good way of empowering people but I don't see it mending their relationships and promoting harmonic co-existence.

I don't really know how this could work at all except by taking bending away or giving the ability of bending to everybody. Then again I'm not especially creative with solutions since I was born with the type of negative mindset that just poke flaws into everything. :T

Oh I know. This should be a really good series as long as they don't move towards making everything black and white in terms of good and evil.

Hmm. I think my post to PirateNinjaZombie responded to a lot of the same things ~ But just to reiterate, Chi-Blocking isn't solely an anti-bending technique but can incapacitate any kind of threat. No need for it to be framed as some sort of anti-bending education.

Demonic Raider

8,250 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Befriended 100
D ii S S O N A N C E
Warrior_Nun801

Benders were the cause of that century long war. Any 'protection' they offered to non-benders was strictly in order to protect the power of the bending leaders. It was a war of benders against benders: and while we weren't showed it, I'd be willing to bet massive amounts of non-benders were effected by such a massive conflict.

This would be an interesting theme to look over in this series biggrin Can't wait to find out more about this Amon...and watch the shipping wars. -places on captain's hat- I always love the sea salt and gunpowder in the morning.

Assimilated Gekko

W4NT0N 5OUP has some good points. (Sorry, long post)

Keeping in mind that benders all seem to have a base fitness level, even the fat ones (Iroh),
I'd say give everyone the option of learning chi-blocking growing up, if they can't energy/element bend, and have (enforcable) regulations on the public use of bending (or establish customs) that would be ethical, as a starting point to regulate power. Tools like the lightning rod packs some of Amon's people use would be useful equalisers for non-benders as well, if they choose to use them.

Not everyone would or should have the need to defend themselves against benders, just as not everyone needs to learn everything (just the essentials?) of defending themselves from an assailant.

Sure, those who can bend are more empowered in some respects than the non-benders, but I see the division as something along the lines of those who have military/martial training and those who don't (although benders are born, it seems, it's still the same principle) - LoK shows us a time when more benders ie the Triple Threat Triad are abusing their power unchecked (instead of the corrupt fire nation soldiers in Aang). There'll always be those who are corrupt, and on the other end of the scale there'll also be those who would prefer not to have such power (but may be happy to hire it as needed).

I bet we'll see someone who was never formally taught bending because he hates it (unlike Jong Jong, who was taught how to firebend properly and only dislikes it in priciple).

Assimilated Gekko

Lets not forget the Kyoshi Warriors, who weren't benders but still held their own against them. Chi-bending isn't the only defensible option against benders.

(But seriously, I want to know what happened to that organisation.)

Heckler

D ii S S O N A N C E

Oh I know. This should be a really good series as long as they don't move towards making everything black and white in terms of good and evil.

Hmm. I think my post to PirateNinjaZombie responded to a lot of the same things ~ But just to reiterate, Chi-Blocking isn't solely an anti-bending technique but can incapacitate any kind of threat. No need for it to be framed as some sort of anti-bending education.
Exactly! I can see it having some amazing social commentary as well. Marginalized groups fighting the oppressive classes and all that. (Although I suppose since they're sort of the bad guys it could be a bit of a mixed message ahaha. ;;) It's nice to be reminded that even if daytime cartoons are ostensibly "kids' shows" they're still written by adults.

I see what you mean, but as it's at least superficially an anti-bender technique, which I don't think you can keep hidden from them, and it would be too easy for the idea to get into their heads that it's mostly for protecting themselves against benders. It's like when America was in the Cold War and kids were taught to "duck and cover". I mean, that was mostly about fear of nuclear war but it also drilled into their heads pretty well that the Red Army was out to get them. That kind of fear isn't going to help in the long-run. Also as people age they become significantly less able to pull those moves unless they train until they're past their prime and when people are in a constant state of battle readiness for most of their life it doesn't make for a very peaceful society, I think.

You are right though, I doubt most benders train in offensive techniques as well as our main three, and if they did those techniques are re-purposed for another trade or go rusty once they leave school and get a job, so to take down most benders it probably wouldn't take much for a someone trained in chi-blocking. Although I imagine that if benders realized that they were more susceptible to this style the ones who really want to abuse their bending would definitely try their hardest to train in counter-techniques (or just invest in some sturdy armor) and it'd be a cycle of one-upmanship.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff