Welcome to Gaia! ::

It really sucks compared to the traditional kungfu style fighting displayed in the TLAB series.

They combined MMA and Kungfu together in the Korraverse which I find it very creative but the fact that Mako and Bolin who are heavy users of MMA/Kungfu fighting always seem to get their a** kick shows me that those styles are not intermixable.

It seems that probenders suck at fighting.

Lonely Prophet

9,000 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Signature Look 250
I agree. I liked the fighting styles from AtLA. Very traditional. whee

But probending is just a sport. Sports take conscious thought in terms of timing, technique, etc. I'm sure if all they had to think was KILL, KILL, KILL then they'd be a lot better fighters...

Greedy Capitalist

I like Mako's style of fighting-it's very similar to boxing. And Bolin's style of staying light on his feet while Earthbending.

However, being pro-benders, they're more used to the low key attacks that pro-bending is.

Benevolent Prophet

8,800 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Accounting Whiz 500
  • Millionaire 200
          CIELLON SAYS,

All of the previous being said, the only real style of fighting that we've witnessed is that in which is centered around the Por-Bending League. Rather, the only styles of fighting that we were really ever shown were Pro-Bending styles which, explained in the first episodes, are different from traditional bending. If you watch some of the fight scenes with Tenzin in the them, you'll notice that he uses the very traditional styles.

I'm sure in Book Two there will be much more variation as they travel the world.
Ciellon
          CIELLON SAYS,

All of the previous being said, the only real style of fighting that we've witnessed is that in which is centered around the Por-Bending League. Rather, the only styles of fighting that we were really ever shown were Pro-Bending styles which, explained in the first episodes, are different from traditional bending. If you watch some of the fight scenes with Tenzin in the them, you'll notice that he uses the very traditional styles.

I'm sure in Book Two there will be much more variation as they travel the world.

They are going to travel around the world?

Benevolent Prophet

8,800 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Accounting Whiz 500
  • Millionaire 200
Social Analyzer
Ciellon
          CIELLON SAYS,

They are going to travel around the world?
          CIELLON SAYS,

That's what I heard. Or at least, that's what I interpreted from Bryke saying, "They are moving beyond Republic City."
I agree completely. I think it was a mistake to almost entirely replace the traditional style of bending with MMA-inspired fighting. The martial arts in ATLA were always a huge part of what made it beautiful and unique in the first place.

Noob

4,550 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
Toph: Keep your stance firm.
Bolin: Keep light on your toes.

Wait, I dont know how to earthbend anymore.

2,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Statustician 100
Bolin's style is like that because in probending, the earthbender players can't use any other type of earth (including the arena itself) except the stone disk/coins that usually are controlled by hand. Because of that, legs were less used by Bolin and his stance are looser when compared to other earthbenders.

Unbeatable Tycoon

MMA = Mixed Martial Arts
It's not a specific style, it just means you fight with a variety of different martial arts (Jujitsu, wrestling, boxing, taekwondo, etc.).
LoK still stayed true to its predecessor, ATLA in terms of fighting.
it was abit disappointing, but, this is fast forwarded to almost 100 years from AtLA Times

Barton Lover

10,150 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Timid 100
  • Champion 300
~~User Image~~
~♥☽╔════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗☾♥~
You know that's what happened to real fighting, right? Fighting, especially competitive fighting, evolved into boxing, especially in urban environments. How many martial arts masters were running around New York in the 20s? Now, how many boxers were running around in New York during the 20s? Exactly. Remember that this is a new, industrialized world. Korra even specifically says that martial arts is dying, and she should be learning the NEW styles of fighting emerging from the urban environment with a focus on athletic and competitive sports.

And by the way, doesn't MMA stand for MIXED MARTIAL ARTS?

~♥☽╚════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝☾♥~
not really XD
Chai Wolf
~~User Image~~
You know that's what happened to real fighting, right? Fighting, especially competitive fighting, evolved into boxing, especially in urban environments. How many martial arts masters were running around New York in the 20s? Now, how many boxers were running around in New York during the 20s? Exactly. Remember that this is a new, industrialized world. Korra even specifically says that martial arts is dying, and she should be learning the NEW styles of fighting emerging from the urban environment with a focus on athletic and competitive sports.

Remember how people had guns in the 1920's? and I certainly don't remember having platinum mechs in the 1920's...

hmmmm.....
Point is, is that in the real world we didn't have the ability to bend while in Korraverse people can bend. It doesn't make sense it will follow our urbanized timeline of events because of a completely new skillset that defy physics.
The new styles of fighting were primarily geared towards probending. The third episode was clear proof that MMA was clearly inferior to the traditional kung fu method.

Bolin and Mako getting their a** kicked by one guy were a clear example of how MMA sucks compared to the fighting style used in TLA.

Lin didn't fare any better as she shot metal whips onto a guy who use lightning... It is like they became dumber with MMA.

Quote:

Point?

I would argue that staying focus with one style is better than mixing.

Barton Lover

10,150 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Timid 100
  • Champion 300
~~User Image~~
Social Analyzer

Remember how people had guns in the 1920's? and I certainly don't remember having platinum mechs in the 1920's...

Well, Steampunk Universe. They had steam technology, and the mechs certainly follow Steampunk physics. I'll give you points for the gn argument, but they might have been kept out for Nickelodian standards.

Social Analyzer
hmmmm.....
Point is, is that in the real world we didn't have the ability to bend while in Korraverse people can bend. It doesn't make sense it will follow our urbanized timeline of events because of a completely new skillset that defy physics.
The new styles of fighting were primarily geared towards probending. The third episode was clear proof that MMA was clearly inferior to the traditional kung fu method.

Bolin and Mako getting their a** kicked by one guy were a clear example of how MMA sucks compared to the fighting style used in TLA.

I'm not sure how the defying of physics affects the social effects of urbanization on a previously pastoral area and culture. I would agree that boxing is inferior to martial arts- my blackbelt boyfriend can kick the a** of a boxer any day- but that doesn't mean that the masses wouldn't convert to the simpler, more sport-friendly form of fighting.

Social Analyzer
Lin didn't fare any better as she shot metal whips onto a guy who use lightning... It is like they became dumber with MMA.

I would agree they became dumber, but that's what happens as technology becomes more advanced- someone today would be stupid to the old ways of farming. It doesn't mean the change isn't credible or interesting.

Social Analyzer
I would argue that staying focus with one style is better than mixing.

I would agree with you that it is more effective, but I would argue that it makes sense for the Korraverse to have shifted in the direction of MMA.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces