Welcome to Gaia! ::

7,250 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
Taking away everyone’s bending? Really?

Bending does not appear to be completely genetic.

Non-bending parents can have bending children. (Like Katara and Sokka’s parents) Bending parents can have non-bending children (Like Bumi)

Even if all the benders in THIS generation, who are currently alive, had their bending taken away, there would just be MORE benders um…as soon as people started to have babies again.

Unless Amon is planning on energy bending/chakra blocking every new born baby for the rest of FOREVER, or has a way of determining which non-benders carry the bending gene and then KILLING all of them, AND KILLING all of the benders, the plan simply won’t work.

Now, I think that the equalist movement as a whole has some valid concerns, and something clearly needs to be done to bring the world back into balance. But Clearly, Amon’s way to addressing the very VALID concerns of non-benders is portrayed as very, very bad. Kidnapping innocent people? Teenagers like Bolin? That’s a no-go. And his final plan is riddled with logic holes.

Hardened Warrior

Well Katara and Sokka's parents may not have been water benders, but that doesn't mean that they wouldn't carry the gene for it. One of their grandparents or great-grandparents could have been a water bender. Just a thought, is all.

However, the rest of what you said I do agree with you on that... it's going to be impossible to wipe them all out, for good.

Dapper Capitalist

At first it seems rather stupid. But I can see how this can get bad for benders really fast. He doesn't need to take the bending away of every bender in the world. If he can rally enough support and gain enough control, eventually it would get to the point where benders would be forced into hiding and would be too terrified to even attempt bending, and then if none of the benders even want to bend anymore, who would be expected to teach the next generation? Eventually the art of bending could die out.

7,250 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
Jester25
Well Katara and Sokka's parents may not have been water benders, but that doesn't mean that they wouldn't carry the gene for it. One of their grandparents or great-grandparents could have been a water bender. Just a thought, is all.

However, the rest of what you said I do agree with you on that... it's going to be impossible to wipe them all out, for good.

Right. But clearly it's not as simple as it being a dominant or recessive trait. Aang and Katara had a waterbender, an airbender, and a nonbender. IF it's genetic, it's hella complicated.

7,250 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
CreativeButLazy
At first it seems rather stupid. But I can see how this can get bad for benders really fast. He doesn't need to take the bending away of every bender in the world. If he can rally enough support and gain enough control, eventually it would get to the point where benders would be forced into hiding and would be too terrified to even attempt bending, and then if none of the benders even want to bend anymore, who would be expected to teach the next generation? Eventually the art of bending could die out.

I suppose that is a fear. Bending was almost lost in the Southern Water Tribe during the war.

Heckler

I think if he can turn public opinion against benders, rather than destroy every single one, and bury the knowledge of how to bend (by destroying scrolls and killing the masters) then it's a completely feasible idea. Even if new benders are born they'll either a) never manifest their ability or b) suppress their bending to avoid the social stigma. That, or as some people theorize he'll cut off the spiritual connection of humanity forever, probably using Korra somehow.

But yeah, I can't agree with his plan at all even if I do find it incredibly intriguing.

7,250 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
W4NT0N 50UP
I think if he can turn public opinion against benders, rather than destroy every single one, and bury the knowledge of how to bend (by destroying scrolls and killing the masters) then it's a completely feasible idea. Even if new benders are born they'll either a) never manifest their ability or b) suppress their bending to avoid the social stigma. That, or as some people theorize he'll cut off the spiritual connection of humanity forever, probably using Korra somehow.

But yeah, I can't agree with his plan at all even if I do find it incredibly intriguing.

IF that is Amon's plan, then is makes some sense. So far all we've confirmed is that his plan is "take away all bending" which...yeah, makes no sense.

Lonely Traveler

12,000 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Treasure Hunter 100
[Ren The Ryoko]
Jester25

Right. But clearly it's not as simple as it being a dominant or recessive trait. Aang and Katara had a waterbender, an airbender, and a nonbender. IF it's genetic, it's hella complicated.

It isn't really that complicated if you know anything about genes then you know that if there is a trait in the gene pool like say blond hair. Well say two people with brown hair and brown eyes have a child. The child is born with blonde hair and blue eyes. Well genetically this would be impossible unless one parent had that trait in their gene pool.

Benders are no different. The possibility for Aang and Katara having bender children was the same probability as Korra's parents (non benders) having a bender child. The trait for bending is in their gene pool and there for it will be passed on whether the child two parents have is a bender or not. They still have that gene in their DNA and will pass it on to their children.

Youkai Moe's Waifu

Cat

His plan is gonna be energybending on a mass scale to prevent benders from ever being born again.
Been saying this for ages.

Heckler

[Ren The Ryoko]
W4NT0N 50UP

IF that is Amon's plan, then is makes some sense. So far all we've confirmed is that his plan is "take away all bending" which...yeah, makes no sense.
Yeah, sorry when I said plan I meant his general "take away all bending" plan because... it's definitely on the evil side of the sliding scale but I can't say I wouldn't enjoy seeing him try anyway.

Anyway I always assumed the first plot because with all that civil unrest I see some radical social and political upheaval being set up and my mind can't help going, "Oh god oh god French Revolution do it do it".

7,250 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
Guild Carver1
[Ren The Ryoko]
Jester25

It isn't really that complicated if you know anything about genes then you know that if there is a trait in the gene pool like say blond hair. Well say two people with brown hair and brown eyes have a child. The child is born with blonde hair and blue eyes. Well genetically this would be impossible unless one parent had that trait in their gene pool.

Benders are no different. The possibility for Aang and Katara having bender children was the same probability as Korra's parents (non benders) having a bender child. The trait for bending is in their gene pool and there for it will be passed on whether the child two parents have is a bender or not. They still have that gene in their DNA and will pass it on to their children.

There doesn't really seem to be any way of easily determining if a non-bender would carry the gene though.

My point is that Amon couldn't just target non-bender who carry bending genes.

7,250 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
xx Cookie-Boots xx
His plan is gonna be energybending on a mass scale to prevent benders from ever being born again.

Do we know if that's even possible?

Oh lord. Think of the economy. Republic City relies on Lightening Benders for electricity.

Youkai Moe's Waifu

Cat

[Ren The Ryoko]
xx Cookie-Boots xx

Oh lord. Think of the economy. Republic City relies on Lightening Benders for electricity.

If Mike and Bryan say it is, it's possible.

Meh, they'll switch to steam power. emotion_dowant

7,250 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
xx Cookie-Boots xx
[Ren The Ryoko]
xx Cookie-Boots xx

If Mike and Bryan say it is, it's possible.

Meh, they'll switch to steam power. emotion_dowant

Changing your main method of electricity harvesting would take years and billions of dollars in infrastructure changes.
How long is Amon planing on taking with this plan so that change can be made without plummeting the city into darkness?

Heckler

[Ren The Ryoko]
Changing your main method of electricity harvesting would take years and billions of dollars in infrastructure changes.
How long is Amon planing on taking with this plan so that change can be made without plummeting the city into darkness?
Maybe he'll enslave a couple firebenders while he changes things......?

But yeah that's been bothering me too. Their whole society, whether they like it or not, is run by bender power. I don't think he's an idiot so he must have some kind of plan for the aftermath like possibly to enslave firebenders under the pretense of making them pay extra reparations for the Hundred Years' War through forced labour or something? That's kind of why I think Hiroshi Sato might be involved with Amon. His Satomobiles run entirely independent of bender power, that technology would be useful to Amon after the fall, so to speak.

But there's just so much other stuff to consider, like their technological advancement would grind to a halt, not just because of the civil war that could erupt but because their manufacturing industry would be ruined without benders to help along with the process. And that affects every other kingdom in the world. And then every other kingdom in the world will besiege Republic City and what then?

...Man I hope someone on the show brings it up cause that would be some major fridge logic if it never gets mentioned.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff