Welcome to Gaia! ::

II Vanilla-Chan II
Vrazhe

`•.•●•۰• ••.•´

♩♪♫♬♭ No matter how hard you try...

۞ ♯I noticed that anime doesn't improve abilities but yeah, its still fun to do.
Nah. Its not bad. Its good in its ways, but bad in its ways too, its the same for every personality. Maybe i'm thinking shes in the wrong category for personality?Meh i can't say, i don't know her. ۞

...You will never stop bleeding love ♩♪♫♬♭

`•.•●•۰• ••.•´

Yes it is fun to do, as long as you are aware about the fundamentals and can't go as far without learning them when it comes drawing in any style, than I say draw what you wish. 3nodding

Do I do have to ask that people know that anime just means animation right? Each one has their own style, ranging from realistic to extremely exaggerated as distorted. Not all are big eye girls with ridiculous proportions (often those ones are aimed more at the younger audience or series that are less serious while the ones aimed at the older audience or the more dramatic/serious ones tend to become less exaggerated depending on the artist. Not always the case and each artist has their own strengths, weaknesses and preferences (some are better writers while others have better knowledge of anatomy and perspective and able to use it to their advantage and tell their stories more through their art and some collaborate to make up for their weaknesses) but it's what I noticed over the years.

Personally I don't care what people draw as it doesn't really affect me any as it is their art, not mine. You can give them advice that can help them in the long run, but in the end it's up to them as to whether or not they take that advice and follow it.

Magical Senshi

Playboy Karasu Uchiha

`•.•●•۰• ••.•´

♩♪♫♬♭ No matter how hard you try...

۞ ♯I'm well aware of all of those facts.
And they all are true too.I've been drawing both realistic art and anime art.
My art is usually 'puzzle art' where there is a puzzle involved, i always like doing mysterious art that makes it hard for people to understand. I've seen a few artists like that.
Oh oh, now i'm rambling again, considering only minutes ago i was speechless. Hahaha... sweatdrop ۞

...You will never stop bleeding love ♩♪♫♬♭

`•.•●•۰• ••.•´
I'll admit that this is correct. I've always been developing my own unique style since middle school (I've been drawing since I was very very young, but I just drew horses and other animals, so I don't count that). My style is a merge of realism and anime/comics...And to get it right, I had to back track and start studying the human form. I'm still doing it, as I get sidetracked a lot...

But ever since my sister gave me two books on the foundation of drawing, and I looked up proportion (facial and body), I started practicing, and I noticed my characters started coming out a lot better! The more I practice, the better I get... But I still have a lot to learn. Particularly with lighting and things other than humans (cars, props, etc.). Also, feet give me some problems depending on the stance and the type of shoes the character is wearing. And I still have trouble with some poses. But it really does help a lot! And it helped me to put to paper what my vision really is, and to develop my style.

Blessed Sex Symbol

6,800 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Popular Thread 100
I don't see the article.... confused
I agree with this article almost completely. The person is a little too straight forward, but honestly, I used to do a lot of anime style and it sucked for when I had to learn how to draw what I see. And it would never come out right because I didn't know real human proportions that are also used in anime. And yes, I did come back to the style for hobby, but I would never use it professionally.

Hilarious Guildswoman

8,100 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Bunny Spotter 50
uh i need more advice... i`ve improved alot since i posted here last but it`s still not enough...
this is the problem, i want to learn to draw, i know i need stuff more to realism to be good at anime, but most things people say is to take these classes, ya i`m creeped out by naked bodies o_o i would not be able to go to a class like that... i`d faint, also drawing realistic human faces would creep me out
would studying just the muscles and proportions and stuff like that work just as well as taking a class that i would have to draw realistic people? i know real helps but would knowlege of real and practice of stylized work too? cuz you still know everything, and practice is still involved, but that can probably focus it more to the anime half while still getting it right(maybe even drawing realism with a hint of anime so it doesn`t creep me out)

and another problem, if my theory is right and i could start finding out how to study this stuff, what would i do with it? i`d love to be able to draw anime and manga, but i dont think i`d go into being a mangaka for a career, i dont want to have to spend years studying all of this, and then not being able to do anything with it, the only job i can think of that this would help for is a mangaka or animator, as of now i have no idea what i want to be, i`m taking an extra math class as i`m very good at it and enjoy it, plus art,
and even with the knowlege what other things would i be able to do if i didn`t focus on just the anime, if i were to learn everything(minus the creapy drawing practices) what are the possiblilities for me to do job wise? i also met someone who digitialy colors a graphic novel here in canada, i`m pretty good with Gimp and i can take what i know and apply it to learning photoshop, a photoshop corse is something i`m willing to take(unfortunatly my comm-tech didn`t realy teach me anything...)

i`m also still messed up on the 'is it too late' thing, tons of people say they wished they got this long ago, is it people who are 30 who wish they knew when they were 20? or are they people my age who wish they never started with anime in the first place.... that`s where i`m messed up, am i getting this too late in life? or am i starting to relize this at the right time?

i know my shyness is hindering but i`m improving, normaly i couldn`t even try to draw a non-chibi person, i have two and a half non-chibi anime people, then my self confidence droped again...., i think they`re fair for my first ever attempt that didn`t look so terrible i couldn`t look at it, but i see how proper lessons can help, the first one the main problems were in the face =/ the second i never finished.... the third is where i see where the muscle knowlege would help, as well as understanding the differences in ages(it looks like 5 years older then it`s supose to...), also as a kid in highschool who doesn`t act like they`re 20 i think my opinion in the first paragraph about what i`m willing to draw is perfectly normal >_<
ShiniSnowDemon

I'm going to approach this from the rear end, hope you don't mind.

1. Mindset: It's not too late! In fact, it's never too late to learn something (ANYTHING) new, contrary to what people might think/say. While starting early certainly helps, luckily it's not a requirement. Whatever you do, never think something like "omg person X started drawing 5 years earlier, I should give up because I'm never going to catch up to them".
            Improvement is not limited to the first 20 years of your life.

2. Job opportunities: First you gotta ask yourself, do you really want a job in the art industry? There's a difference between art as a hobby and art as a job, and while I don't want to sound discouraging... well, let's just say that not every person who draws would be really happy as a professional artist.

3. Life drawing: You don't really need to draw naked people, especially if you're too young or you just don't feel particularly comfortable with it. Of course drawing n***s is a really great method, but there can always be time for that later. If you want you can always ask your friend/sibling/whoever to wear a tank top and a pair of leggings and it's still going to serve the purpose.
            PS. You can also use a gesture drawing tool (LINK). While it's not as useful as a session with a real model, it's good if you can't really afford anything else. If you don't want to get any naked photos just don't forget to check the "Only "Decent" Models" option--it will give you photos of people wearing clothes/underwear.

4. Creepyfacephobia lol: There's nothing creepy about drawing faces (or realistic images in general). In order to study muscles and proportions you need a base--in this case a face. Don't think of it as a part of a person and imagine it as an object with interesting shape.
            PS. If you still feel uncomfortable drawing human figures, try to draw some other things instead. Plants, objects, small and big items, different materials etc. If you get used to drawing other things, perhaps later you will find drawing humans somewhat easier.

Ye-ah.

Hilarious Guildswoman

8,100 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Bunny Spotter 50
Vrazhe
ShiniSnowDemon

I'm going to approach this from the rear end, hope you don't mind.

1. Mindset: It's not too late! In fact, it's never too late to learn something (ANYTHING) new, contrary to what people might think/say. While starting early certainly helps, luckily it's not a requirement. Whatever you do, never think something like "omg person X started drawing 5 years earlier, I should give up because I'm never going to catch up to them".
            Improvement is not limited to the first 20 years of your life.

2. Job opportunities: First you gotta ask yourself, do you really want a job in the art industry? There's a difference between art as a hobby and art as a job, and while I don't want to sound discouraging... well, let's just say that not every person who draws would be really happy as a professional artist.

3. Life drawing: You don't really need to draw naked people, especially if you're too young or you just don't feel particularly comfortable with it. Of course drawing n***s is a really great method, but there can always be time for that later. If you want you can always ask your friend/sibling/whoever to wear a tank top and a pair of leggings and it's still going to serve the purpose.
            PS. You can also use a gesture drawing tool (LINK). While it's not as useful as a session with a real model, it's good if you can't really afford anything else. If you don't want to get any naked photos just don't forget to check the "Only "Decent" Models" option--it will give you photos of people wearing clothes/underwear.

4. Creepyfacephobia lol: There's nothing creepy about drawing faces (or realistic images in general). In order to study muscles and proportions you need a base--in this case a face. Don't think of it as a part of a person and imagine it as an object with interesting shape.
            PS. If you still feel uncomfortable drawing human figures, try to draw some other things instead. Plants, objects, small and big items, different materials etc. If you get used to drawing other things, perhaps later you will find drawing humans somewhat easier.

Ye-ah.

creepyfacephobia xD ha that`s funny, i dont get it myself but if i wasn`t human, i`d probably be desgusted by them...

and the job thing, ya i`ve though of that, but what`s the point of learning all this if i`m not gonna use it, why go through all this schooling twice if i`m only gonna use one time for a hobby? and i have no idea what i want to do.... all i`ve ever thought about was a simple job localy, or a stay at home person(although i plan on staying single my whole life so that wont work), when i was younger i wanted to work with animals(not a vet) but it changed as i got older, changed alot of times... yet i gotta chose soon, before i finish highschool

and i do use bases, i used to draw(or try to anyway) from just drawing, but now i use bases, although they`re anime bases.... but they still help, and what`s the gesture tool? so what it just gives me pictures to try to draw?
ShiniSnowDemon
creepyfacephobia xD ha that`s funny, i dont get it myself but if i wasn`t human, i`d probably be desgusted by them...

and the job thing, ya i`ve though of that, but what`s the point of learning all this if i`m not gonna use it, why go through all this schooling twice if i`m only gonna use one time for a hobby? and i have no idea what i want to do.... all i`ve ever thought about was a simple job localy, or a stay at home person(although i plan on staying single my whole life so that wont work), when i was younger i wanted to work with animals(not a vet) but it changed as i got older, changed alot of times... yet i gotta chose soon, before i finish highschool

and i do use bases, i used to draw(or try to anyway) from just drawing, but now i use bases, although they`re anime bases.... but they still help, and what`s the gesture tool? so what it just gives me pictures to try to draw?

DON'T USE BASES!
            Never. They're bad. They're very, very bad. Reasons why bases are bad:
            1. They are traced (copied) from manga panels, anime screencaps, official art, fanart, and doing something like this is actually illegal.
            2. They don't actually teach you anything. You just modify them by adding clothes, hair, eyes etc, but they don't tell you how human body should be drawn.
            3. Last but not least, more often than not bases are horrible quality-wise because they are created by people who have literally 0 art skill. They just blindly trace anime screencaps and don't care that their "bases" have anatomy errors etc.
            It's important. Learn how to draw, not how to decorate ugly, flat pixel bases. Read Nina's thread, it's all about life drawing (things you should do) and it's incredibly helpful. There's a lot of reading, but every single part of this guide is golden.

So yeah, that outta the way, back to the job opportunity part.
            When you learn something--anything--it's an investment. Learning is important because it's what pushes the world forward. Unfortunatelly some people decide to learn the bare minimum which allows them to survive, but it's more of a vegetation than actual life, because if you don't learn then your life doesn't change, so why even bother living?
            Learning many different things makes you more versatile. You can work on improving your skills (art skills, language skills, sports, anything really) in order to become a better, more developed person.
            It doesn't mean that what you do must become a job, especially since, uh, the art industry is a pretty crazy field. It's highly competitive, it's incredibly demanding and sometimes it's just makes people go apeshit bananas. If you just want to draw for fun once in a while then it's perfectly fine to just be a hobbyist and do what you want.

Hilarious Guildswoman

8,100 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Bunny Spotter 50
Vrazhe
ShiniSnowDemon

DON'T USE BASES!
            Never. They're bad. They're very, very bad. Reasons why bases are bad:
            1. They are traced (copied) from manga panels, anime screencaps, official art, fanart, and doing something like this is actually illegal.
            2. They don't actually teach you anything. You just modify them by adding clothes, hair, eyes etc, but they don't tell you how human body should be drawn.
            3. Last but not least, more often than not bases are horrible quality-wise because they are created by people who have literally 0 art skill. They just blindly trace anime screencaps and don't care that their "bases" have anatomy errors etc.
            It's important. Learn how to draw, not how to decorate ugly, flat pixel bases. Read Nina's thread, it's all about life drawing (things you should do) and it's incredibly helpful. There's a lot of reading, but every single part of this guide is golden.

So yeah, that outta the way, back to the job opportunity part.
            When you learn something--anything--it's an investment. Learning is important because it's what pushes the world forward. Unfortunatelly some people decide to learn the bare minimum which allows them to survive, but it's more of a vegetation than actual life, because if you don't learn then your life doesn't change, so why even bother living?
            Learning many different things makes you more versatile. You can work on improving your skills (art skills, language skills, sports, anything really) in order to become a better, more developed person.
            It doesn't mean that what you do must become a job, especially since, uh, the art industry is a pretty crazy field. It's highly competitive, it's incredibly demanding and sometimes it's just makes people go apeshit bananas. If you just want to draw for fun once in a while then it's perfectly fine to just be a hobbyist and do what you want.

right i forgot there are two kinds of bases... i dont use premade ones, i draw my own bases then make them look like a character, looking at bases people make creep me out o-o my own bases i draw form my mind is all i use, try drawing a head from just the lineart, in my case that`s hard, i gotta draw a round head then edit it... sorry for the confusion...

and the rest of that just spun my mind @_@ i want to be able to draw, but taking 10+ years of schooling takes time and money, when that could be used for something i would use for a job(yet i still dont know what i wanna do)

EDIT: i just tried drawing my cat, you know that was alot more fun then it was before~ i dont know why.... i just opened a new DA account that i`ll put these drawings of my cat i plan on doing, should i post it here?
Very much agree.

The anime industry is so small and centralized in Asia that anyone that wants to be an artist for a living needs to branch out and expand their horizon. Anime is not going to get you a job.
I appreciate the advice here. It helped me make some opinions of my own and correct my own thinking. 0;

I had been thinking I can just go straight into the style that I want to end up with (which is more western than anime style, doesn't matter though), but I see the truth in the advice that I should master the human form before I start distorting it into my own style.

What I really want, in the long run, is good proportion. That's all that really matters to me when I see the art of other people. It doesn't matter how well an artist can color or shade or detail; if they don't have a concrete sense of body proportion, their art is not eye-pleasing.
            long time no bump

Beloved Kitten

7,800 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Big Tipper 100
I really enjoy drawing in the anime/manga style
I don't see what would be offensive about that. I found it simply put and rather like a dose of common sense; thanks for sharing smile . I've noticed that in the art arena here those who enter anime styled art often get higher ranks than those who have at least attempted realism or semi realism...it just make me wonder if some see that and think "oh the anime style is popular. I want good reviews. I'm just going to keep drawing anime" and never bother to start with the basics. Just something to ponder...

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff