Welcome to Gaia! ::

aTinyBunny's Prince

Handsome Girl

Because I'm definitely getting an art tablet for Christmas, that was one of two of my biggest wishes.
That and Sims 4. <3 Guiltyyyyy ~
I'm so excited and yet scared. xD I don't consider myself good at drawing, but it's my personal goal to move up into graphic art.
I know it'll be tough on a tablet. ;________; Like learning to draw all over again.

User Image

Thieving Rogue

Honestly, try playing games or surfing the web with your tablet instead of your mouse for a while. Since you're not trying to create you won't get as frustrated. Just make sure it's a point and click game, and one where you don't care if you lose! lol
at first working on a tablet is a little wierd because there's less friction. its like your skating on ice but eventually you get used to it.

it's not for everyone though, ive known some artists that prefer working traditionally as opposed to digitally. like they can work digitally if they wanted to, they have, its just that they prefer traditional

Questionable Gaian

9,050 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Supreme Supporter 500
  • Lavish Tipper 200
gaia_nitemareleft

I used to draw traditionally a lot when I was younger but it didn't take long for me to get myself a tablet and start drawing digitally. I honestly don't remember what it was like transitioning to my tablet because I was really bad at art at the time. I really knew nothing about art until I got my tablet. I'm 23 and I've been drawing for about 10 years now. I'm thinking I got my very first tablet when I was like 15-17. So basically I've been drawing digitally way more years than I ever did traditionally.

If you don't plan on getting into different media with traditional artwork, I would definitely go for the digital art world. It might take some getting used to but once you get used to it you'll love it :3

gaia_nitemareright

Shy Otaku

19,615 Points
  • Expert Skill 150
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Party Member 100
Reigeckt
Honestly, try playing games or surfing the web with your tablet instead of your mouse for a while. Since you're not trying to create you won't get as frustrated. Just make sure it's a point and click game, and one where you don't care if you lose! lol

I have never really considered doing this before, I've always pushed away from digital art because of the hand-eye coordination being difficult with a tablet, even with tons of practice (being all trying to create something). I'm going to have to try this...

Diamond Lunatic

11,300 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Zombie Jessica

Getting used to a tablet is weird, and there are some exercises you can do to learn your tablet's calibration/resolution. I don't really remember if it was weird for me to look at the screen while I drew when I first started using a tablet, but I do remember that because my tablet was very small - 4x5 inches live space - I had to zoom in to work on my art, so it really restricted my movements, as well as how large I could work with smooth lines.

If you mean what it's like to move into graphic art as in graphic design, that's something entirely different. (I think there's this misnomer where people call digital art "graphic art" when it really is not just "graphic" art or "graphic design." wink However, if you mean the transition between traditional materials and digital materials, it'll just take some getting used to.

The suggestion to try using your tablet for games and browsing/regular use is a very good one. Just make sure you are aware of your tablet's click, double click, and click-hold time. You can change some of these settings as well as pen pressure, usually.

I also have some artistic exercises for you to try out if you wish. Practicing line work, and drawing simple shapes over and over is an illustrator's exercise that helps loosen the hand and arm while drawing.

First, draw a bunch of parallel lines, try and make them as long and straight as you can. You'll find that moving quickly, and drawing the lines in one go will help you create smoother, steadier lines. You can make even longer, steadier ones if you draw from the elbow or the shoulder instead of with your wrist and fingers. This is especially true on tablets, or when you're using a program that doesn't have a stabilizer (SAI does, and there are plugins for Photoshop, but this is a good bodily drawing tool to learn for even cleaner lineart).

Next, draw a bunch of circles in a few rows or columns. Try and get them in one or two circuits, but as you begin, it will probably take more than one loop around the circumference to get a 'perfect' circle.

After that, try and draw a bunch of elipses at the same angle, and of various angles. Try to do at least ten of each angle.

This exercise will not only help you learn your tablet's calibration and live area to screen resolution, but will also help you when it comes to drafting and line art. If you can make straight lines without using the shift key shortcut or a line tool, it will help your art seem more organic, as well as expedite your process!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff