Welcome to Gaia! ::

Because, sweetie.. no matter what you love, no matter what you have a passion for people will try to squash it because negativity thrives on the internet, especially forums. Anime art is fine, if it's what you enjoy.. you'll probably never make it to the level of one the greats with it, not that any of us have much of a chance.

Someone said something ridiculous that I have to disagree with, though.

"It's the artist's skill that matters, not the thought that went into the piece." Or something along those lines.

Actually, the thought is everything.. Art is how we see the world, and millions of people walk into art galleries all over the world, not just to look at a pretty picture, but to realize the message behind it. I've seen art that looks like a lump of nothing, until I understand the thought that was put into making it. To me, that makes it art.

I think plenty of people have forgotten that art is in the eye of the beholder. And, you're going to have groups of people who don't like what you do. Hell, most artists are recognized until their dead. So, s**t on everyone else. Art is a form of expression.. if you're a true artist you create to release emotion, and it benefits you alone.

Fame isn't the reason for art. In it's purest form it's an expression of you.

So if Anime truly describes you.. or you just enjoy doing it, don't stop. But, I encourage you, as an artist not to limit yourself. There's so much out there,
explore.
Razmok
Actually, the thought is everything.. Art is how we see the world, and millions of people walk into art galleries all over the world, not just to look at a pretty picture, but to realize the message behind it.

And how do you reckon people are able to successfully communicate their message? Pixie dust?
I do have to agree to some extent with Razmok there.

To say that only skill matters in art negates quite a bit of contemporary art. Like body art, performance art, conceptual art (think Duchamp's "Fountain", and Joseph Kosuth's "One and Three Chairs", not World of Warcraft characters), most of postmodernism... and while a lot of us don't really enjoy those genres of art; they're legitimatized by the Art Community at large, and therefore, should be recognized.

Commercially, skill matters a lot. If you can't draw, you most likely won't get the job. But the thought process and concept are also pretty damn important as well.

BUT, skill and building up those assets are the building blocks for what you can do with art. There's no point coming up with a brilliant concept if you can't execute it recognizably. It's difficult to create a representational idea if you can't draw what you're trying to convey. In this sense, skill is incredibly important. But still not the only thing that matters. If it was, I think Photorealism and Still Lives would be taking over.

EDIT: That said, thought and intention are not the only things that matter either. I think it's reasonable to say that every successful artist uses a balance of both. And if it's for portfolio/job opportunity, they delve into their skills and develop their ideas to their peaks.

Sorry Ninacakes, iluuuu, just my silly opinion

Shy Sex Symbol

7,825 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Person of Interest 200
Well personally for me, it's because it tends to break the rules of proportion and the like. It takes away the realistic factor in a way that makes it seem fake and terribly cartoony. I feel like anyone can make a non proportionate human, but not all can make an anatomically correct one C:

High-functioning Millionaire

7,450 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Streaker 200
  • Full closet 200
Elegants
Well personally for me, it's because it tends to break the rules of proportion and the like. It takes away the realistic factor in a way that makes it seem fake and terribly cartoony. I feel like anyone can make a non proportionate human, but not all can make an anatomically correct one C:
I agree, they can become cartoony.
Miri-love

To say that only skill matters in art negates quite a bit of contemporary art. Like body art, performance art, conceptual art (think Duchamp's "Fountain", and Joseph Kosuth's "One and Three Chairs", not World of Warcraft characters), most of postmodernism... and while a lot of us don't really enjoy those genres of art; they're legitimatized by the Art Community at large, and therefore, should be recognized.

Commercially, skill matters a lot. If you can't draw, you most likely won't get the job. But the thought process and concept are also pretty damn important as well.

BUT, skill and building up those assets are the building blocks for what you can do with art. There's no point coming up with a brilliant concept if you can't execute it recognizably. It's difficult to create a representational idea if you can't draw what you're trying to convey. In this sense, skill is incredibly important. But still not the only thing that matters. If it was, I think Photorealism and Still Lives would be taking over.

EDIT: That said, thought and intention are not the only things that matter either. I think it's reasonable to say that every successful artist uses a balance of both. And if it's for portfolio/job opportunity, they delve into their skills and develop their ideas to their peaks.

Sorry Ninacakes, iluuuu, just my silly opinion

Yeah, that's true. I just didn't like how blatantly the 'thought' of a piece was thrown out the window.
Razmok

Yeah, that's true. I just didn't like how blatantly the 'thought' of a piece was thrown out the window.

Nothing in life is black and white, agreed.

Omnipresent Loiterer

There's a difference between drawing anime and anime being all you can draw.

Unless you are a young artist and just learning, you should at the very least have the ability to go realistic with some amount of know-how.

If you're dreaming of art school and being a *~*~~~*mangaka in japan*~~~*~* and refuse to draw anything different because "IT'S MY STYLE!" then you deserve no respect from any artist who has trained properly in the field.

I don't enjoy looking at images like your second example because to me it just seems lazy from a standpoint of if I had done it. Unless it's a cover for a manga, anime or game, I see no point in not making it actually realistic. It's clear that the artist has the ability.
Since manga and anime are both very fast styles of drawings, spending loads of time and energy coloring and rendering it "realistically" isn't something I see much of a point in. If you're going to draw realistically, draw realism.

It's the same thing with me and western animation. Unless the entire comic is in that style or you're going for a splash page or cover art, just make them look realistic. Why the hell not?

I, personally would not be happy with myself if I created those types of images, but I can appreciate them in skill, composition, color, etc. I just don't look at them in my spare time. Just like I don't like much looking at color theorist art or dadism but can see where it applies in the art field. Doesn't make it less of art if an artist still commits it.

is doggo's Partner In Crime

Benevolent Menace

16,190 Points
  • Master Slayer 200
  • Energy Harvester 150
  • Foolhardy Benefactor 500
I don't dislike it, but I think what a lot of artists feel is that it ruins a lot of the time that people have to learn proper anatomy and it's very hard to overcome that if it's what you learn first.

I know this on a personal level. I struggle with anatomy and I'm often asking for red-lines from friends to correct my human anatomy. What I see most often is that people who do draw things like anime on DA start out with it and have poor skill with anatomy. It's also hard to shake that style and to venture outside of it as people like to stick to things that they're comfortable with. Maybe I'm applying myself too much to what I imagine most people are doing or struggling with.

I would advise someone just stepping into the art world to take a moment and draw from real life before they do anything that takes away from things that are very important to know as an artist. No artist should have anything against the style no matter how popular, lest they also have problems with the notable artists such as Van Gogh as it's often something you're urged to emulate while in highschool art classes ( or at least I was ). Sure it's a good thing and a bad thing, it inspires a lot of people to start out in art, but they don't see that there's so much more to it to become great and when they learn this ( if ever ) they'll be where a lot of artists including myself are often, struggling to grasp the lesson that they should have learned first. It's taken me... two years to get to where I am from drawing with no musculature, no anatomy, poorly proportioned eyes and limbs and.... it's just that it strikes a place in our hearts to see someone fall to the same thing that we're struggling with, much like how you're taught that a stove is hot and you shouldn't touch it.

That's my take on this anyhow.

Liberal Fatcat

7,300 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Contributor 150
  • Survivor 150
Cream Puffnut
I think it's guilt by association, for those anime artists who genuinely know what they're doing. I don't particularly like people who claim to draw 'Western-style' who don't draw very well either.

This.
Anime is silly to me, humans have too many features to them to be so outlined, and sculpted into a certain shape. not everybody has a pointed chin. or is skinny. or is cut, as in defined muscles. get what I'm saying? neutral
Miri-love

Well, I was under the impression that we were talking about drawing and painting here, so I wasn't considering any of that. That said, I think it takes a hell of a lot of skill to produce good abstract and non-representational work, so I stand by my statement.

Don't worry, ilu too and I always will. I sent you my number and everything. <3

Versatile Sex Symbol

8,700 Points
  • Big Tipper 100
  • Tipsy 100
  • Millionaire 200
Cyanmuffin
I am one of the people who look down at others who draw anime, badly.

I get very annoyed when I'm looking at art schools and readying my portfolio, and all of a sudden another high school student shows up with a portfolio full of anime. It annoys that crap out of me because they think it's just as good as professional anime or from life art. One of the schools I'm applying to even has "do not submit any anime" written on their website. They go as far as to say: Do not submit any anime, because most of the time it isn't as good as you think it is...blah blah... Japan has enough anime artists who are good at their jobs. Paraphrasing, but I thought it was hilarious.

I only draw anime when I'm selling it on gaia, I would never dare put it into my admissions portfolio, those students are idiots and will not be accepted.

You know I have to agree with you,because at my school their is this big art contest and we can submit art in the contest and we have these kids submitting anime art that's not even in their own style..like it was a Naruto picture,a Death note picture,and something else.....all of those people got a first place ribbon and I submitted a skull with a rose going threw it and a self portrait and win nothing.We have two art teachers at my school and one art teacher accepts anime art and you have these kids that only draw anime art and give it to her,it's like really...I like anime art but man I'm not gonna just stick to that.The other art teacher doesn't take anime art,you have to submit some real life stuff to him......I also hate how those people who don't try to make a style, they just use someone else style all the time.I have this kid that tries to tell me bad stuff about my art when I can draw anime,comic book form,and real life...and he can't draw.This other kid told me he draws anime better than me and he don't even have his own style...I just looked at him and shook my head.

Versatile Sex Symbol

8,700 Points
  • Big Tipper 100
  • Tipsy 100
  • Millionaire 200
The Cuddly Mutant
Cream Puffnut
I think it's guilt by association, for those anime artists who genuinely know what they're doing. I don't particularly like people who claim to draw 'Western-style' who don't draw very well either.

This.[/quote

This is off topic,but nice avatar. blaugh
Razmok
"It's the artist's skill that matters, not the thought that went into the piece." Or something along those lines.
Last I checked, creativity and problem solving (your "thoughts" ) are skills. Skills that you learn and practice.

Ideas are worth s**t until you have the skills necessary to communicate them.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff