Welcome to Gaia! ::

Menacing Cutie-Pie

Have you ever felt too embarrassed of you lack of skill to finish even one doodle? When I try to draw, my heart starts beating really fast and I get so dizzy-nervous... Ever since I got my AA, I've felt like I should be miles ahead of where I am. Even if I'm just trying to draw a freebie for a fellow gaian, I don't finish what I start.

It sucks, too, because I returned to gaia in hopes that freebies would help me loosen up. I miss being proud of my drawings even though I knew they sucked. I miss drawing every day.

Do you fellow artists, professional and hobbyist alike, have any stories of similar affliction, or advice on getting over this "doodle-shyness"?

Celestial Believer

I feel your pain! I've been getting over a case of art block myself; was all set to do a freebies thread last summer and then classes ate me alive sweatdrop
Something I've been trying lately has been derpy doodles of things from reference, like fruits! It's been helpful for me to just focus on the sillier aspects of whatever comes out, or experimenting with color combinations, rather than trying to compare it to what I was previously producing. I feel like at this point, drawing something I may not have intended is still a step in the direction of getting back to drawing the things I want.

Menacing Cutie-Pie

Niarah

Hm, that does sound like a good idea! Playing with colors is especially fun.

Omnipresent Zealot

4,850 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Timid 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
I've been through that before. I think the best advice I could give is to take a break, not from actually drawing, but from worrying over the finished product. Draw things you feel like drawing at them moment, but don't force yourself into a finished, polished result. Basically just go back to drawing for the sake of enjoyment rather than because you feel like you need to. Personally, I also find that I do my best work when I'm relaxed and not straining for a good end result, there's less stress on you that way and on top of that, it's more comfortable to experiment, and to learn with a hands on approach if you don't have that pressure.
The best thing for me is to a) draw a lot and b) don't give up the second it starts to look bad. (but if it's going to be a polished piece, definitely be open to reworking stuff) Using pen or any other permanent medium can help with leaving flawed things the way they are and focusing on the next thing, and the next.... you have to get the bad art out before anything good can happen. when you're learning and growing and drawing for yourself, quantity > quality.

Menacing Cutie-Pie

Infectious Binary

You're right! But it's hard to shake that feeling of worry about finished products. I know I'm being too hard on myself, and I'm being a pansy about it on top of that. Feeling like every drawing has to be perfect is incredibly inhibiting, after all. An artist can't fear failure, but that's precisely what I get stuck on the most! neutral

kieramisu

I truly do need to have more patience when I think a drawing is going wrong... Oh, but I like the idea of using permanent media! Knowing you can't undo mistakes would eliminate a lot of nervous backtracking, and maybe help reduce frustration when things don't look super perfect on the first try! You bet I'll be trying that. Thanks!
And you're absolutely right about getting the bad art out, first. Especially after a spell of not drawing, getting back into a good creative flow takes a few tries.

Dangerous Stalker

15,900 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
I got into the habit of drawing something intentionally bad to shake the nerves. Stick figures, people wearing ugly clothing, figures posed dramatically in an absurd setting, etc. If it looks good, do something to make it look bad. You don't want a good result. The goal is for it to be so crappy you can hold up the finished product, say, "Wow, that's the ugliest thing I've ever drawn," and genuinely laugh at it. This lets you tackle your fear in a safe mental space, sort of like watching horror movies and worst-case-scenario documentaries from the comfort of your own couch. It also stretches your hands and mind before you tackle a serious sketch.

And remember, sketches aren't supposed to look good, either. They're for practice and study, that's all. You might only see the beautiful finished work of your favorite artists, but it took them many ugly sketches to get there.

Omnipresent Zealot

4,850 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Timid 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Astrelis

You're right! But it's hard to shake that feeling of worry about finished products. I know I'm being too hard on myself, and I'm being a pansy about it on top of that. Feeling like every drawing has to be perfect is incredibly inhibiting, after all. An artist can't fear failure, but that's precisely what I get stuck on the most! neutral

A good way I find to draw without being nervous is simply to resolve to take a break from showing people your work. There's no reason to be worried if only you will see it. Take a while to draw solely for yourself and not for an audience. Draw whatever you want or feel comfortable with, or experiment if you feel the need to. I've personally found that for the longest time I was horribly over cautious while drawing, and when I didn't over analyze I did much better. The same might apply to you. Art doesn't thrive under stress for most people. Of course there's nothing wrong with correcting flaws when you find them, it's all a part of the learning process, but take the time to become comfortable with how you draw and try to work to the strengths and parts you simply enjoy doing. Try adapting your approach based on that and make it a part of your own style.

Menacing Cutie-Pie

Lychee Fruit

That sounds like a great idea! Tackling my fear of ugly drawings by making absurdly ugly drawings! And I like your logic behind it. It almost sounds crazy, but I see how it may help a lot. One more method to consider. Thank you!

Infectious Binary

Not showing anyone?.. That might help a lot. I live with a roommate who thinks I'm a weirdo, yet constantly pesters me when I draw. I can safely say that this does not help, but I can take my business elsewhere if needed... But really, my own judgement stunts my creativity the most. I need to realize I'm not done learning, huh? Thanks for your advice!

So much wonderful advice, you guys are all so inspiring and helpful! emotion_kirakira

Lonely Noob

14,340 Points
  • Battle: Level Up 200
  • Team Rina 200
  • Partygoer 500
To get over drawing fear I use pre-made anime images as templates. Since I don't draw them exactly due to strict policy on here I start to draw the detail in alternate ways so that it would be my creation, and I won't get in trouble for it. I seen in it some anime's where the creators make their characters similar in other anime's, but change up on detail or color. Hope this helps motivate you cat_3nodding

Obsessive milonguera

Maybe some relaxing doodle practices could help you.

Try taking a break from humans and avatars. Draw for yourself only and decide that the next x number of doodles you are not going to show to a living soul. The quality is not always the most important but that you are in the process of creating things.

Try something new. Have you tried frottage? Maybe look up Max Ernst. It is simple and no-stress, I feel.
Try splattering ink over a surface of wet paper, wait for it to dry and doodle over it shapes that these abstractions remind you of.

I'm unhappy with a lot of what I doodle, but since I doodle a lot, a few good things can be found here and there.

Generous Fatcat

9,700 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Person of Interest 200
I get almost afraid to draw sometimes because if it ends up terrible, I'll think I'm terrible DX I try to fight it, though, and push through the drawing, I take frequent breaks and keep building it till it looks "good" lol. I also think I should be a lot better at art than I am now, but I'll always suck if I stop now. XD
Infectious Binary
I've been through that before. I think the best advice I could give is to take a break, not from actually drawing, but from worrying over the finished product. Draw things you feel like drawing at them moment, but don't force yourself into a finished, polished result. Basically just go back to drawing for the sake of enjoyment rather than because you feel like you need to. Personally, I also find that I do my best work when I'm relaxed and not straining for a good end result, there's less stress on you that way and on top of that, it's more comfortable to experiment, and to learn with a hands on approach if you don't have that pressure.

I agree wither what you said!

Another thing you can do to open back the "creative flood gates" is to take a break and change your brains thinking. Try something creatively different, for example- a DIY of anything you find interesting (could be a photo frame, a jar, mirror, phone cases, etc). Try something different to get your mind back in the creative space again then go back to the drawing board and see what happens. Hope that helps for you ! wink

Here's a video of a DIY that i found creative and inspiring 3nodding 4laugh

Demonic Capitalist

I use Pixelovely as a forced practice for those kind of days.

Then I force myself to complete a drawing. Remember that if a picture doesn't come out the way you want it you can go back later, or just move on and make the next one better.

Experiment with how you do things: Lines, color, overall style.

Doing these forced practices have helped me improve my own cartoony style. (The start of forced practice. The current.)

(WORD OF THE POST: FORCE)

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces