Welcome to Gaia! ::

Distinct Elder

The Handsome Mr-X
Why wouldn't I still be on about it? You say something, with no proof of it.
You don't feel like digging in order to show you're not just making it up?

every thread I see you make all you do is create excuses for why you don't have to/shouldn't/might but just not right now study life... and then you wonder why you get negative feedback so consistently and create threads about how to improve on a general level.

Oh! Now it's not what I say, it's in my art?

Outside from the things I said, and the questions I asked in this thread, you made it all up.
You have no idea what your talking about.
I don't make topics often, so it's not too hard to find, if you're telling the truth.

I just linked that post twice. That's not helping your story, if you link the exact same post I do, and say the same thing I said.

I make the same mistakes, because i'm still improving. Maybe at a slower rate, in small bits, but I am.
I don't show "life study", because until now, I didn't get what you meant when you came to my threads. Beena said I misunderstood.

Show me some solid evidence, and you won't seem like you're blindly accusing me.
Own up to how,

What are you asking to see? Evidence that life drawing will benefit your work? Look at anyone who has a job in illustration/animation/etc.

Or what is life drawing? We all told you. Use your eyes to look at something - anything - and draw it with your hand. It's literally that simple.
, is shwoing an undertone being rude and insulting how I can't see how simple everything is.

And all of the sudden, it's in the mistakes I make, NOT what I say, that shows everything you said.

I honestly don't care enough to try to prove my point. If you're so set on the idea that you are not resistant, that's fine. You can consider my post negated due to lack of proof - the claim was not important enough to me to defend and make a big fuss about.

At the end of the day improvement will be the ultimate indicator of whether you listen or not, and the only person that actually benefits/hurts is you, so like I said, I don't really care.

I would recommend posting your life studies, though, because the problem with unguided life studies is it's easy to keep making the same mistakes without knowing it. For example a lot of people draw the heads too big over and over again and never realize unti it's pointed out to them. In general as humans we tend to draw what we thik we see - not what we actually see - and until it's pointed out we never realize it and keep making the same mistakes in both our studies and art.

There's a book called "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" that describes this phenomenon and others like it very academically. It's not a great book for learning how to draw but it's a good book for learning how the brain works and why things "aren't working for you" or whatever. It's really more of a psychology book than it is an art book but it's got some great insights that I think everyone should know about how the brain works in relation to art.

Handsome Gentleman

27,590 Points
  • Smooth Operator 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Attending the Ball 25
Itchy the Hatter
The Handsome Mr-X
Why wouldn't I still be on about it? You say something, with no proof of it.
You don't feel like digging in order to show you're not just making it up?

every thread I see you make all you do is create excuses for why you don't have to/shouldn't/might but just not right now study life... and then you wonder why you get negative feedback so consistently and create threads about how to improve on a general level.

Oh! Now it's not what I say, it's in my art?

Outside from the things I said, and the questions I asked in this thread, you made it all up.
You have no idea what your talking about.
I don't make topics often, so it's not too hard to find, if you're telling the truth.

I just linked that post twice. That's not helping your story, if you link the exact same post I do, and say the same thing I said.

I make the same mistakes, because i'm still improving. Maybe at a slower rate, in small bits, but I am.
I don't show "life study", because until now, I didn't get what you meant when you came to my threads. Beena said I misunderstood.

Show me some solid evidence, and you won't seem like you're blindly accusing me.
Own up to how,

What are you asking to see? Evidence that life drawing will benefit your work? Look at anyone who has a job in illustration/animation/etc.

Or what is life drawing? We all told you. Use your eyes to look at something - anything - and draw it with your hand. It's literally that simple.
, is shwoing an undertone being rude and insulting how I can't see how simple everything is.

And all of the sudden, it's in the mistakes I make, NOT what I say, that shows everything you said.

I honestly don't care enough to try to prove my point. If you're so set on the idea that you are not resistant, that's fine. You can consider my post negated due to lack of proof - the claim was not important enough to me to defend and make a big fuss about.

At the end of the day improvement will be the ultimate indicator of whether you listen or not, and the only person that actually benefits/hurts is you, so like I said, I don't really care.

I would recommend posting your life studies, though, because the problem with unguided life studies is it's easy to keep making the same mistakes without knowing it. For example a lot of people draw the heads too big over and over again and never realize unti it's pointed out to them. In general as humans we tend to draw what we thik we see - not what we actually see - and until it's pointed out we never realize it and keep making the same mistakes in both our studies and art.

There's a book called "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" that describes this phenomenon and others like it very academically. It's not a great book for learning how to draw but it's a good book for learning how the brain works and why things "aren't working for you" or whatever. It's really more of a psychology book than it is an art book but it's got some great insights that I think everyone should know about how the brain works in relation to art.

You have my thanks. Because if you didn't really care, you wouldn't be here. (Reading this post for example)
You would have ignored me as some twit shouting at you because you insulted me.
I respect that, and like how you care enough to say something to me, and even link me to yet another book.

I'm not just marking it up as false because you refuse to link me to some proof, but because you also refuse to apologize for your wording. Sense it seems you didn't mean anything by it, because you're the only one here who considered your words as nothing. Give me credit, or praise if you wanna call it that, when it's due. This probably ties in at how you only praised me in ONE thread, and then began to see me as no good in the next three.

Good but proportions
Proportions
Proportions
Stiff
That's all you did.

You don't offhandedly tell someone like me, "You say this" and "it shows in that" without showing me what you're talking about, and where I can find it, and then tell me i'm making excuses and looking for a miracle.

Someone who makes excuses and wants an easy way, doesn't make four threads, for people to critique their art. They either make four threads about excuses, and miracles or flat out quit. I have not done that, and you were wrong to say that about me. So I'm in every right to ask for evidence and chop you up as telling a mistruth, as much as you are in your right to tell me you don't care. But respect that your words hurt me, and have a heart to tell me you didn't mean to hurt my feelings or call me some lazy miracle-seeker.

Have you seen my DA? I practice the crap out of my art.
And if you're saying that i'll get better by "life studies", then I'll look further into.
Just don't call me something i'm not, and not be willing to prove I am.

Distinct Elder

The Handsome Mr-X
You have my thanks. Because if you didn't really care, you wouldn't be here. (Reading this post for example)
You would have ignored me as some twit shouting at you because you insulted me.
I respect that, and like how you care enough to say something to me, and even link me to yet another book.

I care to help you. I don't care to prove my point because I'm not invested enough in it to do so. If you'd like I'll just delete the post and be on with it.

Quote:
I'm not just marking it up as false because you refuse to link me to some proof, but because you also refuse to apologize for your wording. Sense it seems you didn't mean anything by it, because you're the only one here who considered your words as nothing. Give me credit, or praise if you wanna call it that, when it's due. This probably ties in at how you only praised me in ONE thread, and then began to see me as no good in the next three.

Sorry, I'm used to a more intense environment. Crits go this way. If it's too intense for you or hurts your feelings, I'll dial it back, and like I said, delete the post.

My ego isn't at stake here. I've got nothing to prove.

Quote:
Good but proportions
Proportions
Proportions
Stiff
That's all you did.

You don't offhandedly tell someone like me, "You say this" and "it shows in that" without showing me what you're talking about, and where I can find it, and then tell me i'm making excuses and looking for a miracle.

Someone who makes excuses and wants an easy way, doesn't make four threads, for people to critique their art. They either make four threads about excuses, and miracles or flat out quit. I have not done that, and you were wrong to say that about me. So I'm in everywhere right to ask for evidence, and chop you up as telling a mistruth, as much as you are in your right to tell me you don't care. But respect that your words hurt me, and have a heart to tell me you didn't mean to hurt my feelings or call me some lazy miracle-seeker.

The more words you write and the less you draw, the more you're not improving. Whether you call it excuses or looking for help, the fact of the matter is the time you're taking to defend yourself against someone that frankly isn't judging/attacking you is time you could be spent improving.

But no it's not my intention to hurt feelings, so if I did that, sorry. Just say that next time - "Hey, you hurt my feelings" - instead of throwing out a bunch of defensive accusations about how I don't respect you and writing me a dissertation about how rude I am.

In general, I've found it's best to communicate in "I," statements, not "you" statements. For example, in this circumstance: "I'm hurt by what you said." instead of "You are disrespecting me!" I can't argue that you are hurt, really - I can either be an a*****e and say, "Get over it" or apologize. However, can't really tell you you're not feeling _____, because that's really only something you know. If you make a "you" statement like "you are ____ing," you give me an opportunity to defend myself, and the argument perpetuates.

Quote:
Have you seen my DA? I practice the crap out of my art.
And if you're saying that i'll get better by "life studies", then I'll look further into.
Just don't call me something i'm not, and not be willing to prove I am.

I don't use DA and I don't randomly check people's DA unless they ask, honestly.

Shaun Holder's Sidekick

Sparkly Shapeshifter

The Handsome Mr-X
The Frostinator
There's nothing actually wrong with looking to other artists for inspiration and technique, as long as it's not the only way you learn. Even Leonardo da Vinci began by first being trained by someone else as a painter.

What's really fun to observe in other artists' work is mostly technique. How do their lines flow? How do they blend colors, which brush did they use to achieve that effect? If you have artists you admire, don't just stare at their work and try to replicate it. Question yourself, look under the hood, try to figure out their secrets, and always make sure you have plenty of people who inspire you with different styles so you're not only studying one person.

Yes, drawing from life is the basis for everything but art is not all about that. It's about having fun and expressing yourself, so whatever you draw always make sure you're having fun. Unless you plan on becoming an illustrator for a living, don't burn yourself out trying to work only on drawing things you don't enjoy because people tell you you should. I've known too many artists I liked who lost their interest in doing art because figure drawing and life drawing all day became a boring chore.

Find your balance and enjoy what you do. 3nodding

Aww man, where you were when I was being called out.
XD

I enjoy drawing.
I look forward to getting better at it.
But when I ask folks about how to get better at it, I'm naturally this and that to at least one person. Only now in this part of the forum, they come out in full force, until I explain myself or they figure out what I mean.

I've showed respect. I don't expect you to look at my posts, but I did.

I'll be sure to look at more then just a single artist sometimes, but my friend told me to pick one, in order to get a good basis. From both analyzing, and now "life study".

Everyone is different so obviously everyone is going to give you different advice. Some people seem to believe that an art degree makes them the ultimate judges of right and wrong, others think that because they've practiced longer they're automatically better than you. A lot of artists seem to forget to have fun in the process of figuring out their own style and interacting with other artists, and that's sad. I'm glad having these discussions isn't making you enjoy it less.

I've also found that by looking at other people's art as more than pretty images but as techniques I could learn for myself, I've completely stopped being discouraged when I see artists who are way better than I am. Setting goals for yourself and your drawings, not like "I want to draw exactly like this person" but more like "I want to reach that person's skill level" makes you look forward to drawing more and practicing. Feeling inspired is a good feeling and you can't always get that kind of inspiration just from looking at real people and real world objects. Sometimes you see something really cool and you're just like MAN I WANT TO BE GOOD LIKE THAT so you pick up a pencil and start drawing. It's a good feeling.

Do it like you feel it, dude. You got some good advice here, you get the idea, life study is good, blah blah. You're arguing with these people on some forum when you should be drawing. xp

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff