Welcome to Gaia! ::

Friendly Dabbler

First of all, I'm not an art student. I'm just a person who draws out of personal interest. I wouldn't call it a hobby (it sounds too casual), but I don't plan on making a living off of this. And I only intend to show pictures to close friends (no Internet postings).

I just recently started sketching strangers in public. I would draw them in my sketchbook, spending a few minutes on each person (or a few seconds). But I know that most people don't like being looked at for so long, nor do they like being drawn. It's embarrassing, and I can sympathize. But, I see the value in drawing actual people in their candid moments. And I like the opportunity to capture movement.

Then again, am I right to view people this way? Where are my boundaries when it comes to drawing strangers in public, especially considering the fact that I'm not a formal art student? What opinions do you guys have when you do this, and drawing strangers in general? What do YOU do?

Angelic Hunter

It doesn't matter if you're a formal student or not. Anybody with a pen who wants to draw in public has the right to. surprised

In my experience it's extremely rare to find anybody who is outraged at being drawn. Honestly, they don't even know they're being drawn, unless of course they see your drawing. Ultimately these people are just lines in a book for the purpose of studying life drawing, not a personal insight into their lives and privacy. You drew them because they happened to be in your line of vision, not because you're following them or stalking them, and the few people who notice you drawing usually realize this or just don't care. That's the way I see it. I used to feel uncomfortable drawing in public but over time I've gotten more comfortable with it.

You'll discover your own boundaries as you continue to draw. Ultimately it's your choice and your comfort level. Do whatever feels right. C:

Tipsy Prophet

8,250 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Person of Interest 200
Psh, do what you want; usually people don't care. Doesn't matter if you're a formal art student or not. Just be discrete and try not to lock eyes with them. Super awkward.

Stellar Star

24,975 Points
  • Healer 50
  • Hunter 50
  • Survivor 150
No one can forbid you to draw others. But to make things less awkward for you and them, use shades and baseball hat.

7,900 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Friendly 100
I feel like a stalker even when I draw my cat. She always wakes up and finds me staring at her, charcoal in hand. Haha

Shameless Streaker

29,865 Points
  • Happy Holidays 2k13! 100
  • Caroling Champ 100
  • Frozen Solid 200
I still feel awkward sketching people in public- and I'm not an art student, either. Art is just something I really enjoy. I've been wanting to improve drawing humans and I figure the best way to learn how to draw people proportionately, is to ....well, draw people. So I've taken to hanging out in coffee shops (usually Starbucks cuz I'm addicted to their chai tea. xd ) and doing quick figure-sketches.

Its been my experience that most people are in their own world and dont' pay much attention to others (unless you're like sitting there, gawking/staring at them. xd ) My local Starbucks is located in a small, upscale shopping area, and just outside it is a little park area with trees and a little fountain and cafe tables and benches. When the weather's nice, I like sitting outside with a pair of sunglasses on and just sketching away. (For some reason, I feel less awkward whilst wearing sunglasses. Maybe they do help, or maybe its just a mentally comfortable thing, like "oh they can't see me looking cuz the sunglasses hide mah eyes blaugh )

Dangerous Capitalist

7,650 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Profitable 100
Pssh, I start downright acting like the people I watch sometimes in the middle of public just so I can get a gist of how they move. I'm completely embarrassing to be around.

Aged Codger

There's no laws against drawing other people, you just can't use their likeness for commercial purposes without their permission. If it really bugs you that people can see you looking at them, try wearing sunglasses.

Interesting Dabbler

4,400 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Rebuilder 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
I agree with the others. Most people don't even seem to notice. I've had a few people cotton on to the fact that I was sketching them and their general attitude been between indifference or curiosity. I usually get more feedback or notice from people when I'm not actively sketching anyone. XD I've had a few people stop in the hallways at the college just to see what I was doing. Most people seem pretty polite or friendly about it. smile

Big Lover

16,575 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
it builds character, lol.
unless someone says something to me i draw them. i was at the drs office and drew this old guy for 20 minuets. 3 minuets into drawing him and he started sweating and his body got stiff which means.... he realized i was drawing him. ;D

Blessed Hunter

9,100 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
I don't think it's unethical whether the artist is a pro, student, or hobbyist. You're just drawing the person. A lot of times it barely even looks like the person. I used to be apprehensive but now I don't care. I sit in a corner were I'll be inconspicuous and get to drawing.
I don't think it's unethical. I personally still feel a little awkward sketching people in public, but I'm way past that when it comes to my classmates. Funny thing is, they'd probably be creeped out more than strangers at say, a cafe.

Friendly Friend

7,300 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
I love cafe sketching! It's super important because it forces me to draw different kinds of people to avoid the same face syndrome.

My friends think I'm super creepy for drawing other people, but I'm pretty sneaky.. I never got caught. I try not to move my head around when I look and I try to draw each person quickly LOL.

8,800 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Citizen 200
I find it funny that you think hobby is too casual. I think it's casual if you *don't* call it a hobby. Hobby just means you're passionate about it despite not pursuing a career.

Anyways, sketching people in public is no biggie. Most people don't mind, and if they do, too bad for them. It's not like you're taking a photo. No one will be able to identify the drawing as them. If you're worried about people noticing though, big sunglasses are nice.

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
if you enjoy drawing, do it often, and dont do it as a career then its a hobby.

also speaking as someone who doesnt like being drawn, as long as i dont notice chances are i wont care. wear sunglasses and use a small sketchbook so there is less chance of anyone noticing what you are doing

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff