Welcome to Gaia! ::

Spooky Trader

5,075 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Party Animal 100
So ive been struggling with the problem of Digital Art.I've been using Gimp (Cause i cannot afford a program like PS right now.) I just cannot figure out how to get Smoother and better line work.I use a Tablet given to me by my best friend and honestly, the whole experiance with these lines is making me not want to draw at all. If you have any suggestions PLEASE leave them,I need all the help i can get.

MY DA(So you can see the problem) : Deeerrrrppp

Bloodthirsty Prophet

i wish i had a solution for you, but gimp is gimpy lol.

photoshop is super expensive, but i use sketchbook pro which has a more reasonable pricing....
There's better free programs. MyPaint, FireAlpaca, OpenCanvas 1.1, and Krita.
I really didn't like how it felt to draw in gimp so I don't know of a solution for it.
For better lineart in general you need to practice long confident strokes.

Spooky Trader

5,075 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Party Animal 100
Thanks for you help everyone. C':

Timid Tipper

I really like GIMP. Would you mind telling me what brushes/ tools you typically use when you make something on there?

Spooky Trader

5,075 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Party Animal 100
Jrock_Chlck
I really like GIMP. Would you mind telling me what brushes/ tools you typically use when you make something on there?

Usually just default pencil. I never use anything custom really.

Timid Tipper

So HXC
Jrock_Chlck

Usually just default pencil. I never use anything custom really.

The pencil tool has hard edges so that may be why you're getting those rough looking lines. The paintbrush tool might work better for you. Also, if you have GIMP 2.8, your tools will a "smooth stroke" option. I hope that helps. Just mess around with the options of a tool until you get lines you're satisfied with. GIMP is a fun program once you become familiar with it.
User Image

Dapper Gekko

I also use GIMP and yeah, smoothing tool and paintbrush are where it's at. However, looking at your DA it looks like part of the problem is that you're going back over you lines several times trying to get them thicker which makes them kinda scratchy looking. Along with the smoothing tool you might have some luck getting the result you want by playing with the pressure sensitivity on your tablet to try to get that thickness more naturally. It could also just be a symptom of you not be confident in your lines and having to put several down to get the one you want. For that it might be better to do some simple line warmups with pen and pencil.

Kittytub's Partner In Crime

Edgiest Mage

mmh. you could look into paint tool SAI as an art program - it has good stabilizers. Wish I could help with GIMP but I only use that to save things as .png and do .gifs

Divorced Phantom

13,025 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Diedrich Supporter 50
  • Divorced 100
Jrock_Chlck
User Image
( づ。◕‿ ‿◕。)づ( づ。◕‿ ‿◕。)づ

May I ask where you downloaded your Gimp 2.8 from?
I hate downloading things from sites.. always seem to pick that bad ones...

Timid Tipper

Kain Aronoele
Jrock_Chlck
User Image
( づ。◕‿ ‿◕。)づ( づ。◕‿ ‿◕。)づ

May I ask where you downloaded your Gimp 2.8 from?
I hate downloading things from sites.. always seem to pick that bad ones...

Of course! You can get it from the official Gimp site.

Ruthless Sex Symbol

gimp is gimp but don't use the pencil tool just use the brush tool or ink tool

try FireAlpaca its free

gimp isn't really for drawing

the lines aren't really going to get smoother (pixel wise) but it looks like you are sketching you need to try just one stroke it takes practice ( you can practice with just inking your traditional work with a pen)

also you know how to use layers right? ( its very important to use them you can look up videos on youtube on how to use them) try playing around with the air brush tool for shading and highlights

this is what i made with gimp aaaaaaa while ago

~~~~~~
I really want you to succeed and be happy with your art, so I'm going to give you some hard truth everyone else is too polite to point out.

Better software is not going to make you a better artist. Your art will not grow leaps and bounds because you own Photoshop or Painter. This is scary to think about, but it's also incredibly liberating. Now you don't have to worry about spending all that money! Instead, you can just focus on practicing.

Don't worry about "digital art". Get some pencils and a sketchbook and fill every single page, then buy another sketchbook. Draw every day if you can. Draw anything and everything, it doesn't even have to be good. Just draw. Paper will teach you more about drawing than Photoshop ever will. Trust me when I say that the skills you learn on paper will translate perfectly into digital tools, so it's not like you'll need to relearn everything. Drawing is drawing, regardless of how you do it.

Grab that pencil and draw! Snap a picture every once and a while and upload it to us if you want smile

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff