Welcome to Gaia! ::

How do you create your artwork?

Scan my paper drawn artwork into the computer then color on the computerDraw straight into the computer a 0 0.0% [ 0 ]
Draw straight into the computer and then color 0.34782608695652 34.8% [ 8 ]
Both of the above, depending on the project 0.47826086956522 47.8% [ 11 ]
Other - let me tell you about it! 0.17391304347826 17.4% [ 4 ]
Total Votes:[ 23 ]
1 2 >

Invisible Spirit

I have always drawn with pencil and paper, but just recently tried drawing on a tablet for the first time. I am proud of my results, because I was able to see improvement even during this one image. I found myself wondering how other people complete their artwork, and am hoping some people might feel comfortable sharing.

I used GIMP and my tablet to draw some basic lines, created a layer above to draw some more final lines, and then created other layers to color in the picture. I may not have been using the right brush, because I found the line to be a bit grainy. I also found it quite difficult to adjust to drawing with the tablet, as I couldn't get the same smooth strokes as I do with a pencil on paper.

What programs do you use to create your artwork? Do you scan your image in? Draw straight into a program?

Thank you for taking the time to share information!

Desirable Friend

After you get used to it, drawing in the tablet is just completely natural and you can go full digital which is what I do now.
Each in a separate layers/steps is what I do:
> Draw guides
> Sketch initial drawing
> Basic Line work
> Detailed Line work
> Basic Coloring
> Basic Shading
> Detailed Coloring
> Detailed Shading
> Refined Line Work (Inking)
> Post Processing (applying digital effects or filters to fix colors.)

Distinct Elder

I usually rough in my sketch, paint the flat shapes of each "section" of my painting - like hair or arm or whatever, varies from painting to painting - over the sketch in their own layers, lock each layer, and paint within them. If the painting doesn't look good by step two, though, no bother rendering it, I just drop it or start over.
I work straight on paper and color on the paper and scan and edit in photoshop. Mainly I just use photoshop to fix the levels and sometimes shift things around.

I used to work digitally for a few years but I was really unhappy with the line qualities. No matter how well a tool might mimic a traditional tool, it never looks the same. And that really makes a world of difference in a lot of people's work.

Lonely Phantom

I'm actually into painting and drawing with prismacolor colored pencils. I do all of my work on paper, canvas, wood, or canvas board. after it's finished, i scan it and share it. smile

Invisible Spirit

gogodr
After you get used to it, drawing in the tablet is just completely natural and you can go full digital which is what I do now.
Each in a separate layers/steps is what I do:
> Draw guides
> Sketch initial drawing
> Basic Line work
> Detailed Line work
> Basic Coloring
> Basic Shading
> Detailed Coloring
> Detailed Shading
> Refined Line Work (Inking)
> Post Processing (applying digital effects or filters to fix colors.)

I tried drawing some guides and doing some basic sketches in separate layers tonight, and was shocked at how quickly I was able to put together a really rough sketch! Thank you! I can't wait to follow these steps and go more slowly on another picture.

Invisible Spirit

Itchy the Hatter
I usually rough in my sketch, paint the flat shapes of each "section" of my painting - like hair or arm or whatever, varies from painting to painting - over the sketch in their own layers, lock each layer, and paint within them. If the painting doesn't look good by step two, though, no bother rendering it, I just drop it or start over.

Painting the sections separately makes a lot of sense.. I was trying to smudge some colors together, and ended up pulling from the different sections and got quite frustrated.. Thank you!

Invisible Spirit

butt goddess
I work straight on paper and color on the paper and scan and edit in photoshop. Mainly I just use photoshop to fix the levels and sometimes shift things around.

I used to work digitally for a few years but I was really unhappy with the line qualities. No matter how well a tool might mimic a traditional tool, it never looks the same. And that really makes a world of difference in a lot of people's work.

I don't know if it was the program I was using (GIMP), but I was really unhappy with the lines too. I just tried another program someone had recommended to me a little while ago (before I got the nerve to draw again), and it is called Fire Alpaca. I was pleasantly surprised with how smooth the lines were. I have some great art on paper though, drawn and colored, so I would love to scan these in and see how playing with the levels helps. I have never used levels before!

Invisible Spirit

lordssesshomaru
I'm actually into painting and drawing with prismacolor colored pencils. I do all of my work on paper, canvas, wood, or canvas board. after it's finished, i scan it and share it. smile

Thank you! I mentioned in the post above I have some finished artwork on paper, but I don't know why I never thought of just scanning in the finished. I was so fixated on coloring with the computer, I didn't think about it.
Fun Laverna
butt goddess

I don't know if it was the program I was using (GIMP), but I was really unhappy with the lines too. I just tried another program someone had recommended to me a little while ago (before I got the nerve to draw again), and it is called Fire Alpaca. I was pleasantly surprised with how smooth the lines were. I have some great art on paper though, drawn and colored, so I would love to scan these in and see how playing with the levels helps. I have never used levels before!

I'm just not a fan of the smooth line look people go for with digital stuff. I cal almost always tell the difference and like I said, no tool can actually properly mimic what the real life tool looks like on paper. Some get close but its always obvious. So i'll stick to my g nibs and brush pens. And coloring digitally doesn't appeal to me either for the same reason. Also i feel like the inability to draw a solid, smooth line on paper is a detriment.

The thing that levels are good for are making the blacks black and the whites white since scanners always wash that stuff out. Its a little more difficult to do when you're scanning in color because then you have to separate the black from the color which can be tedious sometimes.

I also just prefer to have original art I can sell at conventions. People always say that digital art is cheaper but selling a single original page for $200 covers the cost of whatever materials I used and then some. And that's just one page out of a 100 page book.
I open up all of my drawing programs and stare at them all day until I feel inspiration to draw. I have a general idea of what I want and then have fun developing the line art. Then I do some cleaning and finish with color.
When I draw on paper, it usually stays there and I don't scan it in. I've thought about it a couple of time, but I end up drawing straight into the programs.
Switching from drawing with the mouse (making vector art) and the pen tablet has helped my hand from dying too. ^^

Invisible Spirit

butt goddess

I'm just not a fan of the smooth line look people go for with digital stuff. I cal almost always tell the difference and like I said, no tool can actually properly mimic what the real life tool looks like on paper. Some get close but its always obvious. So i'll stick to my g nibs and brush pens. And coloring digitally doesn't appeal to me either for the same reason. Also i feel like the inability to draw a solid, smooth line on paper is a detriment.

The thing that levels are good for are making the blacks black and the whites white since scanners always wash that stuff out. Its a little more difficult to do when you're scanning in color because then you have to separate the black from the color which can be tedious sometimes.

I also just prefer to have original art I can sell at conventions. People always say that digital art is cheaper but selling a single original page for $200 covers the cost of whatever materials I used and then some. And that's just one page out of a 100 page book.

I had never heard of g nibs and brush pens, but after doing some reading, I could see why you would prefer to use these tools! I think I have a long way to go before I have the kind of skill to support the use of these special tools. I am so glad you are able to cover your materials and still have some extra by selling your original artwork. I hope one day my hobbies can support themselves. 3nodding Thank you for giving me hope for my future hobbies!

Invisible Spirit

Kyrimi Kitty
I open up all of my drawing programs and stare at them all day until I feel inspiration to draw. I have a general idea of what I want and then have fun developing the line art. Then I do some cleaning and finish with color.
When I draw on paper, it usually stays there and I don't scan it in. I've thought about it a couple of time, but I end up drawing straight into the programs.
Switching from drawing with the mouse (making vector art) and the pen tablet has helped my hand from dying too. ^^

Hehe, I have found so far I tend to do quite a bit of staring too! I'm hoping I can get some scanning done too, but I just realized the scanner doesn't hook up directly to my computer. So if I want to scan, it goes onto another computer, and then I have to move it over or email it.. sweatdrop I'm not sure if I will be doing that often, because those are a lot of steps...
I haven't had a scanner for a few years now, but in the past I used to sketch and then scan it to either line on top of or set the layer to multiple and just colour it.

Now if I sketch it in pencil I'll just try to recreate it in SAI. But usually I just sketch directly onto the PC without any traditional involved at all.
My two primary ways of working are paper cutting nd painting. So the majority of my work is done by hand then scanned or photographed to go online. I will tweek light levels on photoshop for most if my photos tho.
If I am doing an illustration I will often cut all the elements by hand, then scan them and build up the final image in photoshop. I do this just so that I can cut smaller parts big then just shrink them down instead of fiddling around trying to cut something that is tinny. It also meens if my calculations are out and I cut so,etching to small or big I don't need to cut it again and again.

I do draw on my iPad tho, I use it to design papercuts and colour doodles I do in my sketch books.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff