Welcome to Gaia! ::

Obsessive Smoker

Hi all smile
I've always loved drawing and for the past couple of years I've done bright anime characters on photoshop without much detail (here) but i really really want to learn how to do techniques like these- the sort i've always dreamed of doing but haven't managed to learn. crying

X

X

X

Does anyone have any detailed simple tutorials or any tips/hints on how to achieve this style? outlining/shading/lighting? sweatdrop I've not been able to find any really simple straightforward tutorials which don't miss out steps. heart

Timid Astronomer

8,475 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Unleash the Beast 100
I'm not a ton of help because I don't use photoshop, but I do have a shading tip you could use!

Down below, I drew a little example to refer to! First you'll see a ball with a light skin tone as an example. Typically anime shades with slight variations of the base colors (right of first ball), but that can look plain and flat and it's not done that way in art usually. I have learned that you should shade and highlight with colors that will reflect the environment around the object, but you can be more simple with this.

For example, some simply follow the rule of shade with your complimentary color as you can see on the lower left hand corner. I took a grey blue color as my shader and a very light yellow as my high light. I also carried that grey blue into the shadow on the surface below and you have yourself a much more interesting object than the previous example!

You should use this idea and apply it to and sort of lighting in your environment or mood you're creating. It can get pretty crazy like the weird pinky color for shading and light violet for the high light. But it's interesting! And visually compelling and that's what's important in art.

User Image

I also want to tell you, I did not use a blend tool for this, and if you do, I would suggest not doing that. Opacity is your friend, treat digital painting like life painting and simply water down your colors if you need to.

Best of luck! You'll do great! o v o

Distinct Elder

There is no simple tutorial to get better. You need to study from life and practice.

Obsessive Smoker

CadetteAlright
I'm not a ton of help because I don't use photoshop, but I do have a shading tip you could use!

Down below, I drew a little example to refer to! First you'll see a ball with a light skin tone as an example. Typically anime shades with slight variations of the base colors (right of first ball), but that can look plain and flat and it's not done that way in art usually. I have learned that you should shade and highlight with colors that will reflect the environment around the object, but you can be more simple with this.

For example, some simply follow the rule of shade with your complimentary color as you can see on the lower left hand corner. I took a grey blue color as my shader and a very light yellow as my high light. I also carried that grey blue into the shadow on the surface below and you have yourself a much more interesting object than the previous example!

You should use this idea and apply it to and sort of lighting in your environment or mood you're creating. It can get pretty crazy like the weird pinky color for shading and light violet for the high light. But it's interesting! And visually compelling and that's what's important in art.

User Image

I also want to tell you, I did not use a blend tool for this, and if you do, I would suggest not doing that. Opacity is your friend, treat digital painting like life painting and simply water down your colors if you need to.

Best of luck! You'll do great! o v o

Thank you smile this was really interesting whee

Obsessive Smoker

Itchy the Hatter
There is no simple tutorial to get better. You need to study from life and practice.

yeah I know that, but it's just how to do the basics in that style...i've never tried a painting style on a tablet before and i don't know where to begin....like i'd usually start with a bold outline but this style i don't really know confused

Distinct Elder

Theweirdogoth
yeah I know that, but it's just how to do the basics in that style...i've never tried a painting style on a tablet before and i don't know where to begin....like i'd usually start with a bold outline but this style i don't really know confused

Do lots of studies from life/photos. Learn about lighting.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff