Welcome to Gaia! ::

I am looking for my own style! Studying other styles first, like Loish' one, that I love.
Maybe our styles come from inumerous bases, various works we see and don't even remember. We notice things we like but don't remember perfectly, but the details still in our minds or something.
Someday people will see my work and recognize without seeing my name on it (at least I hope). biggrin

User Image

Sashetha
I'd agree with what most people have said so far. Around a year and a half back I was going through the same 'stage' as you, trying to create my style and all. I was really into anime and manga, and to some extent still am. But regardless of how hard I tried to adapt a more animesque style it never really felt... right? After some months however I gave up and just started drawing without giving style much thought. Yet funnily enough that's when things started to 'click' for me. I guess I'm still developing my style, but I would say that it's quite recognisable by now and I'm actually quite proud of it.

My advice to you would be that the way you desire to draw isn't necessarily always the way that you enjoy drawing. So don't try to adapt other's styles. Just give yourself time and it will slowly build itself. Development doesn't happen over night, you know. Now granted, I'm not saying that you can't get inspired or adapt elements of others style, but you shouldn't get too dependent on it, or it will suck all the fun out of drawing. Good luck.

User Image

/ Amazing style, man!

Anxious Cat

8,550 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Invisibility 100
  • Brandisher 100
yes... I think... x)
But I can't post it. sweatdrop
think of... I have many art style... (; .m.)
(no I can't choose one of them)
But I love my draw, It's what matters most, right?
User Image
What I have seen is that uniqueness takes most people a while to find, and there's nothing wrong with not being super-unique. I think we all have some originality to us, and also, we all have certain things that we copy from others. I think it was even Picasso who alluded to the fact that everyone copies off of those before them. What he is attributed to have said was that "Good artists borrow, great artists steal."

To me, the real take-away lesson is that imitation and modelling what already works is part of our collective human experience.

I have a sample of my style here: http://www.gaiaonline.com/arena/art/comics/vote/?entry_id=102881221
My art can be found on my website too in the signature eblow.

Devoted Punching Bag

23,175 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Full closet 200
  • Window Shopper 100
I think everyone has their own unique style, even if they don't think, or realize they do. Like handwriting, or a fingerprint, no one has your exact style.

My style is always changing as I improve and learn new things. What I drew 10 years ago, looks almost nothing like what I drew now. It's fun to do those improvement memes to see how much growth you've accomplished.

For example:

User Image
Quote:
Do you have a unique art style?

No, not at all. My current art style is something that anyone could draw. I'm not really aiming to have a "unique" art style as that is very difficult to achieve and very few artists actually achieve it. I'm focusing on the basics for now.

Quote:
How does somebody acquire a unique art style?

By finding little bits and pieces of others' works that they want. For example, I love dramatic eyes so when I see another artist make an awesome work that has dramatic eyes, I'll try to emulate that style in my works. It has to be a combination of many things for it to be "unique," though.

Quote:
Is your art style recognizable?

Nope. Many people draw in a similar style, so not even my friends can recognize what's mine in a pile of others' drawings. I'm working on it, though!

No pics, unfortunately. Due to school/work, I've had no time to draw for the last few months.

Newbie Noob

i thinkthe only way to aquire a unique art style is not to copy off other people's art. c:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Invisible Lunatic

6,850 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Peoplewatcher 100
I can't keep a hold on just one style, but I like to think my styles are consistent within themselves at times. (:

Heart Gaian

Do you have a unique art style?

Unique is a tough one. In fact, a lot of what we see in the art world is influenced by art from the past, no matter how recent it is. Our job at this point is to try be inspired by someone or something, which you can give credit to. In art, it's important that we owe credit for our growth, not just ourselves.

People who give credit to mostly themselves usually get all the fire, and it's important to avoid as much fire as possible.

How does somebody acquire a unique art style?

Find inspirations from multiple sources: people, nature, music, media, etc.

Then combine them and improvise from there.

Is your art style recognizable?

My art is based on Manga/Anime anatomy, and the eye styles are also inspired by Manga/Anime.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff