Welcome to Gaia! ::

Timid Genius

7,450 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Friendly 100
  • Befriended 100
I know what they look like, but I don't understand why people buy them. It seems like they're premade sets of one base with different coloring. Do people just buy them to look at them? They can just look at them without buying.

The only thing I can think of is that the artist gives over intellectual property of the design so that the buyer now claims that idea as their own. Or that people will use them as characters for roleplaying. That still doesn't explain the mass amount of food adoptables.

Can someone enlighten me?

Anxious Cat

19,790 Points
  • Converting 100 items 100
  • Novice Mage 100
  • Invisibility 100
They're basically premade designs that people make to sell (I figure you know this already though). People buy them for lots of different reasons I guess. Some people (like me) are terrible at designs and I guess they buy them for roleplay purposes or just to have a cute little character to get commissions of. Others just have a ton of money to spend and want to have a huge collection of art. I think it depends on the person, but for the most part it's just luxuries people want to buy for display purposes I guess. I know when I see Rehmiel designs I kinda jawdrop and cry inside because omg they're so amazing, but I guess it's the people who have the money to burn and the desire to own something buy it. I'm sorry I can't really explain it (I'd say food adopts are just because they're cute and because of this thing on Tumblr called gda or something but that's a whole other thing yeah).

Timid Genius

7,450 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Friendly 100
  • Befriended 100
Sakiusa
They're basically premade designs that people make to sell (I figure you know this already though). People buy them for lots of different reasons I guess. Some people (like me) are terrible at designs and I guess they buy them for roleplay purposes or just to have a cute little character to get commissions of. Others just have a ton of money to spend and want to have a huge collection of art. I think it depends on the person, but for the most part it's just luxuries people want to buy for display purposes I guess. I know when I see Rehmiel designs I kinda jawdrop and cry inside because omg they're so amazing, but I guess it's the people who have the money to burn and the desire to own something buy it. I'm sorry I can't really explain it (I'd say food adopts are just because they're cute and because of this thing on Tumblr called gda or something but that's a whole other thing yeah).

That helps me understand that it's kind of like an impulse buy almost. Even though you can just look at something and save it, doesn't really make it yours unless you buy it. I can see if some adoptables can have the same coloring as an OC, so its almost like a different version. I like the idea of claiming the design as your own once created, especially if it's reasonably priced. If the artist is really good, I might consider supporting them by buying art. I guess I'm more curious about the crappy art shops with not so good adoptables and how they do well. People are weird~

Anxious Cat

19,790 Points
  • Novice Mage 100
  • Invisibility 100
Xhiu
That helps me understand that it's kind of like an impulse buy almost. Even though you can just look at something and save it, doesn't really make it yours unless you buy it. I can see if some adoptables can have the same coloring as an OC, so its almost like a different version. I like the idea of claiming the design as your own once created, especially if it's reasonably priced. If the artist is really good, I might consider supporting them by buying art. I guess I'm more curious about the crappy art shops with not so good adoptables and how they do well. People are weird~

Yeah, it's an impulse buy for a lot of people I think, cause I've seen plenty of people buy adopts and later resell them (with the artist's permission) because they don't give them as much love because they just have too many. There's some really great designs out there and I wouldn't hesitate to buy them if I had the money for it, but a lot of the Gaia adopts are kind of like a quick money scheme in a sense (just pick something people like and draw it in chibi form and you got an adopt like wow). I won't deny that some of them on here can be amazing, but more often than not, they're....ehhhhhh.

Timid Genius

7,450 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Friendly 100
  • Befriended 100
Sakiusa
Xhiu

Yeah, it's an impulse buy for a lot of people I think, cause I've seen plenty of people buy adopts and later resell them (with the artist's permission) because they don't give them as much love because they just have too many. There's some really great designs out there and I wouldn't hesitate to buy them if I had the money for it, but a lot of the Gaia adopts are kind of like a quick money scheme in a sense (just pick something people like and draw it in chibi form and you got an adopt like wow). I won't deny that some of them on here can be amazing, but more often than not, they're....ehhhhhh.

It's cool and sad that Gaia's like an art hub. I just came back here to do commissions because I remembered how much I love drawing Gaia characters. They're already designed for me. I just have to draw them in my own style. It sucks because there are so many sorry people who desperately try to sell shitty work for gold. Sure it's nice if they really want to be artists and improve, but i feel it's mostly a cash grab. The other poor artists are inspiring other poor artists to keep making poor art. Hard to find quality well proportioned stuff. Then again, I think the average age of Gaias is like 12.

Anxious Cat

19,790 Points
  • Novice Mage 100
  • Invisibility 100
Xhiu
It's cool and sad that Gaia's like an art hub. I just came back here to do commissions because I remembered how much I love drawing Gaia characters. They're already designed for me. I just have to draw them in my own style. It sucks because there are so many sorry people who desperately try to sell shitty work for gold. Sure it's nice if they really want to be artists and improve, but i feel it's mostly a cash grab. The other poor artists are inspiring other poor artists to keep making poor art. Hard to find quality well proportioned stuff. Then again, I think the average age of Gaias is like 12.

Oh I know, I came back for the same reason (and for more exposure for my art) and I was so confused and kind of sad. I really loved the old minishops with the cute little food pixels, but now the minishops are overrun with adoptables and it's so hard to find the new pixel shops (which is a bummer cause I have so much gold to burn now from commissions ugh). I feel like there's plenty of people just doing it for fun and looking to improve, but sometimes I just see a thread where the price vs. the quality is like...not worth it to me (I'm trying to be nice but I can't think of any other way to put it). And I wouldn't be surprised, I started Gaia when I was 9 (although I was gone for like 6 of the 7 years my account's been in existence lol).

Timid Genius

7,450 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Friendly 100
  • Befriended 100
Sakiusa
Xhiu

Oh I know, I came back for the same reason (and for more exposure for my art) and I was so confused and kind of sad. I really loved the old minishops with the cute little food pixels, but now the minishops are overrun with adoptables and it's so hard to find the new pixel shops (which is a bummer cause I have so much gold to burn now from commissions ugh). I feel like there's plenty of people just doing it for fun and looking to improve, but sometimes I just see a thread where the price vs. the quality is like...not worth it to me (I'm trying to be nice but I can't think of any other way to put it). And I wouldn't be surprised, I started Gaia when I was 9 (although I was gone for like 6 of the 7 years my account's been in existence lol).

So weird that people just sell art to make money to buy more art haha. I'm not even sure what the point of the site is anymore. I'll let you know if I find some good shops c:

Anxious Cat

19,790 Points
  • Novice Mage 100
  • Invisibility 100
Xhiu
So weird that people just sell art to make money to buy more art haha. I'm not even sure what the point of the site is anymore. I'll let you know if I find some good shops c:

People are very weird lol and same. I'm only here for the forums at this point tbh and thanks! I've found some really nice ones but they're almost always closed crying

Timid Genius

7,450 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Friendly 100
  • Befriended 100
Sakiusa
Xhiu

People are very weird lol and same. I'm only here for the forums at this point tbh and thanks! I've found some really nice ones but they're almost always closed crying

What sort of art are you looking for? surprised

Anxious Cat

19,790 Points
  • Novice Mage 100
  • Invisibility 100
Xhiu

Mostly premade pixels (idk why I started collecting them back in 2007 and I can't stop lol)

I'm also looking for some avi art and oc art but it depends on how much gold I have at the moment

Timid Genius

7,450 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Friendly 100
  • Befriended 100
Sakiusa
Xhiu

Mostly premade pixels (idk why I started collecting them back in 2007 and I can't stop lol)

I'm also looking for some avi art and oc art but it depends on how much gold I have at the moment

Okay~ I'll keep you in mind. I did one piece the other day for 1 bil but I think I'm worth more LOL. Idk 1 bil doesn't buy much. Just gotta put effort in the drawings and itll be worth people's money. Idk where people get money if they don't sell art. Haha

Anxious Cat

19,790 Points
  • Novice Mage 100
  • Invisibility 100
Xhiu
Okay~ I'll keep you in mind. I did one piece the other day for 1 bil but I think I'm worth more LOL. Idk 1 bil doesn't buy much. Just gotta put effort in the drawings and itll be worth people's money. Idk where people get money if they don't sell art. Haha

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the minimum anyone should be charging at this point is at least 10bil (the economy fluctuates a lot though so it might change). Since there's a goldsink right now, the prices are a little better, but prices skyrocket sometimes so you have to watch the marketplace too. And they either have rich friends or they buy cash items from the shop probably, lol

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff