Welcome to Gaia! ::

Nuvat
Zhevron
Nuvat
One

Two

Three

When professionals start talking bad about him, that should tip you off that something is seriously wrong.

Divines bless your kind soul.

I think there's nothing left to add.

I do my best. emotion_dowant

There is just one more thing to add:
Why so butthurt, Hart?

A compiled list of Hart reacting to people critiquing his work. Now, that's the kind of person I want to learn from. xD

User Image

Oh God. Oh my God.

This man is going to be stir fried in the deepest depths of art hell.
            Can't say I feel sorry for him, though.
Zhevron
Nuvat
Zhevron
Nuvat
One

Two

Three

When professionals start talking bad about him, that should tip you off that something is seriously wrong.

Why so butthurt, Hart?

A compiled list of Hart reacting to people critiquing his work. Now, that's the kind of person I want to learn from. xD

User Image

Oh God. Oh my God.

This man is going to be stir fried in the deepest depths of art hell.
            Can't say I feel sorry for him, though.

Alright, so one and two appeared to be the same conversation but two seemed easier to read. People in that forum seem to be a lot more mature, ftw! Anyway, I decided to look him up, i can't seem to find any record of him actually having worked as an artist and now I understand the error of my ways.. i'm going to go beg for forgiveness of my ignorance.
Zhevron
            You know, I must admit I find it somewhat funny that the same person who encouraged a poor, impressionable newbie to waste their time, money and effort on buying a How To Draw s**t book, now preaches about being friendly. Don't know about you, but for me a person who intentionally suggests harmful methods (especially after being told why exactly such thing is bad) is not being particularly friendly.
            Now, I can only hope this gives you some sort of a reference point--you might think you're doing friendly stuff, but at the same time I am given reasons to believe--in my point of view--that you're being nothing but a d**k. Food for thought, bro--try to think about it from a perspective of one of those you deem 'unfriendly' by your standards, and suddenly the world stop being so black and white.

Whatever. Let's talk friendliness. And, OP, unlike the first part of this post the rest is not directed at you. Treat it like, I don't know, an open rant-letter of sorts. Here we go. This is going to be a long post, as it's a short journey into a soul of a person disheartened with the current state of affairs.

I believe most people I encounter are friendly. That, of course, leaves me somewhat surprised when such people are being called 'dicks' or 'trolls', because ********, they are awesome and helpful and beautiful! I think that's because for some time now, the entire concept of 'friendliness' has been changing. In my eyes: devolving. Perhaps it's an American thing (Wait, actually, it might be. Doesn't your government add ******** fluoride to your water? Oooooh s**t...). Perhaps it's an Internet thing. I don't know. What I know, is that the current concept of being 'nice' is not worth s**t.

At some point in this thread, P. used the term "lukewarm". I think this word is excellent to describe what a 'friendly' person should apparently be like nowadays.

A friendly person shouldn't argue, because that makes them confrontational and close-minded. I'm sorry, but I must've missed the point when opinions gained a divine status of something final and undisputable. Is this why so many members of the young generation are so meek, braindead and utterly boring? Whenever I hear someone using "opinions" as an excuse to retreat any confrontational situation it makes me want to scream and hurt puppies. Are you really so worthless that what's going on inside your brain is not worth talking about? A cabbage has more self-esteem than you. How the hell am I supposed to know just what you represent, you faceless android?

Conflict is the main factor that develops your point of view. No, your mind is not fleshed out when you meet with people and say s**t like "Oh, I think the sky is blue", "Oh yes, yes it is!" "It is quite blue, yes, I agree!", "Why yes, it is quite blue, isn't it?". No. Conversations like this are useless. s**t like "Oh, your art is nice, I don't agree with some of your choices but it's okay because we all have different opinions and beauty is in the eye of beholder!" is incredibly useless too. No, ******** you, imaginary sheep. ******** you in your empty, wooly a**.
            Opinions are formed and solidified when you describe them, compare them, defend them. When somebody questions your beliefs, you should be ******** grateful, because they're helping you evolve. Then, of course, you should also find flaws and question their beliefs, because it's courtesy to return the favour. Let's say it once and for all: conflict is good. If a 'friendly' person backs away from 'an argument', they might think they're being a better person, or that they don't want to hurt my feelings, or something--while I think they're being massive dicks, basically telling me that they don't deem me worth talking to. THAT is what I consider being pretty damn unfriendly. Of course, extremes are never good, but I firmly believe that a healthy dose of actual brain exercising is irreplaceable.

Ain't that fun, being all old-fashioned an' stuff.

That said, I firmly believe that you can be friendly without being a faded rainbow vomit. During my short, but absolutely lovely time as an art teacher, I made it a point to make my kids talk to each other. I made it a point to teach them how important opinions are, because opinions make who we are and that if you don't know each other, it's like you don't exist. Then, to much eternal delight, I had kids (5-7 years old) ******** debating--in their own, childish way, but I was just so extatic when I heard them talking about why Betty likes this picture, why Jimmy doesn't like it, and why Betty thinks Jimmy doesn't like it and vice versa. Even remembering it gives me a massive braingasm of joy and proudness, because my preshus babbus were so ******** smart!

Now, fast forward to yesterday, I tell a teenager that the arm they drew has different directions mixed up and I am called a c**t.

What.

Why.

Why is a 7yo child smarter than, you, teenager?! Okay, yeah, I know that you've been drinking fluoridated water, but hell, that can't be an explaination to everything!

And, just to end this post on a more FRIENDLY note, allow me to post this: [********].

Long post is long.

You are right, I am a dickhead, and a dipshit. I'm sorry for not understanding why he upset you so much.. And I'm sorry for argueing about it. I just read about christopher hart and see that he has no actual experience. There are no excuses for my ignorance, but can you forgive me?
Cypae
holy crap

⊙︿⊙

Err. Okay? I mean, there's no need to get dramatic over something like this. It's not like you were intentionally trying to harm newbies or anything.
Arvehz
Cypae
holy crap

⊙︿⊙

Err. Okay? I mean, there's no need to get dramatic over something like this. It's not like you were intentionally trying to harm newbies or anything.

It's just an apology, which I owed, I didn't mean for it to sound dramatic i was kind of going for slightly amusing razz
Nuvat
Zhevron
Nuvat
One

Two

Three

Why so butthurt, Hart?

that's disturbing...

(But to be fair, those redlines... could use some work of their own. redface )

Widow

CandyTheCat09
Read and Refute
Critique has never embarrassed an artist, especially if it is of intellectual merit. The embarrassment stems from how the artist reacts to the situation.

If you posted and art shop, and somebody told you to fix your bad shading (not saying you have bad shading, this is just and example) and then everybody notices it and nobody buys from your shop, would you be embarrassed?

Why should I if it allows me to improve my shading and then even more people start buying because they like the change?

If you're going to make up hypothetical situations and believe I will keep giving you hypothetical answers then I think you've reached the end of your argument. Plus, even if you are bad at everything in drawing, people can still buy your works usually because your work is cheaper than an artist who has more skill yet charges a lot more.

8,800 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Citizen 200
Freiheit
Nuvat
Zhevron
Nuvat
One

Two

Three

Why so butthurt, Hart?

that's disturbing...

Oh, they could for sure, but they seem to show a way better understanding anyways.
Honestly, Chris is just kind of a jerk in general. If it's remotely critical, even a "Her eye is a pinch too big" you'll be blocked. He's also incredibly sexist in his books.
I love Hart. He's a hoot. Can't take him seriously at all :p
It's funny, cause he'll be nice a sweet and absolutely unhelpful whenever he crits anyone else (this piece of art is beautiful in every way), and turns into a complete a** if someone tries to even kindly mention their opinion.
x_Silver_Starlight_x
Freiheit
Nuvat
Zhevron
Nuvat
One

Two

Three

Why so butthurt, Hart?

that's disturbing...

Oh, they could for sure, but they seem to show a way better understanding anyways.
Honestly, Chris is just kind of a jerk in general. If it's remotely critical, even a "Her eye is a pinch too big" you'll be blocked. He's also incredibly sexist in his books.
I love Hart. He's a hoot. Can't take him seriously at all :p
It's funny, cause he'll be nice a sweet and absolutely unhelpful whenever he crits anyone else (this piece of art is beautiful in every way), and turns into a complete a** if someone tries to even kindly mention their opinion.

It kind of make sense in a way, he's uncritical, and he expect everyone else to be the same (kind of in a treat people the way you'd like to be treated kind of way?). I would also assume he gets harassed a lot since his fame is very disproportionate to his talent.

edit: Also... I don't think any of these people are ''kindly mentioning their opinion''. It looks more like a game of ''poke the Chris Harris'' because he always takes the bait. sweatdrop It's his own fault for responding the way he does but these people are being hypocrite. They don't want to help him, they want to prove themselves by comparing their skills to his... But he's a very poor point of comparison. Not just because he's not so skilled, but because you should be aiming up rather then looking down at who you think* you're better then.

*emphasis on ''think'' because when two artist are close in level, one usually tends to either unjustifyingly see himself as better, or the opposite.

Gracious Hunter

6,500 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Profitable 100
Freiheit
Nuvat
Zhevron
Nuvat
One

Two

Three

Why so butthurt, Hart?

that's disturbing...

It is.

Their redlining isn't that great either, and they're just doing it to bait him at this point. Half of it is Hart's fault for actually giving them a response. I just find Hart's attitude and responses to be disturbing. He obviously sees himself as some sort of God, and it's definitely killing him. Because he sees himself as this amazing thing, he doesn't see any faults in his drawings, and that led to stagnation on his part. I don't find the people who are baiting him to be in the good either. Baiting can only lead to bad things on both sides.

I don't even bother with Christ Hart. He's not someone to look up to, unless you're looking to sell stuff (because he's obviously skilled in that field).
Nuvat
Zhevron
Nuvat
One

Two

Three

Why so butthurt, Hart?

That was lulzy enough to make my entire day.

Feline Strawberry

Read and Refute
CandyTheCat09
Read and Refute
Critique has never embarrassed an artist, especially if it is of intellectual merit. The embarrassment stems from how the artist reacts to the situation.

If you posted and art shop, and somebody told you to fix your bad shading (not saying you have bad shading, this is just and example) and then everybody notices it and nobody buys from your shop, would you be embarrassed?

Why should I if it allows me to improve my shading and then even more people start buying because they like the change?

If you're going to make up hypothetical situations and believe I will keep giving you hypothetical answers then I think you've reached the end of your argument. Plus, even if you are bad at everything in drawing, people can still buy your works usually because your work is cheaper than an artist who has more skill yet charges a lot more.

Meh, I see how pointless this argument is... I like being friendly when giving critique, you don't think it's necessary. Btw I like your sig.

Leaf

Zhevron
            You know, I must admit I find it somewhat funny that the same person who encouraged a poor, impressionable newbie to waste their time, money and effort on buying a How To Draw s**t book, now preaches about being friendly. Don't know about you, but for me a person who intentionally suggests harmful methods (especially after being told why exactly such thing is bad) is not being particularly friendly.
            Now, I can only hope this gives you some sort of a reference point--you might think you're doing friendly stuff, but at the same time I am given reasons to believe--in my point of view--that you're being nothing but a d**k. Food for thought, bro--try to think about it from a perspective of one of those you deem 'unfriendly' by your standards, and suddenly the world stop being so black and white.

Whatever. Let's talk friendliness. And, OP, unlike the first part of this post the rest is not directed at you. Treat it like, I don't know, an open rant-letter of sorts. Here we go. This is going to be a long post, as it's a short journey into a soul of a person disheartened with the current state of affairs.

I believe most people I encounter are friendly. That, of course, leaves me somewhat surprised when such people are being called 'dicks' or 'trolls', because ********, they are awesome and helpful and beautiful! I think that's because for some time now, the entire concept of 'friendliness' has been changing. In my eyes: devolving. Perhaps it's an American thing (Wait, actually, it might be. Doesn't your government add ******** fluoride to your water? Oooooh s**t...). Perhaps it's an Internet thing. I don't know. What I know, is that the current concept of being 'nice' is not worth s**t.

At some point in this thread, P. used the term "lukewarm". I think this word is excellent to describe what a 'friendly' person should apparently be like nowadays.

A friendly person shouldn't argue, because that makes them confrontational and close-minded. I'm sorry, but I must've missed the point when opinions gained a divine status of something final and undisputable. Is this why so many members of the young generation are so meek, braindead and utterly boring? Whenever I hear someone using "opinions" as an excuse to retreat any confrontational situation it makes me want to scream and hurt puppies. Are you really so worthless that what's going on inside your brain is not worth talking about? A cabbage has more self-esteem than you. How the hell am I supposed to know just what you represent, you faceless android?

Conflict is the main factor that develops your point of view. No, your mind is not fleshed out when you meet with people and say s**t like "Oh, I think the sky is blue", "Oh yes, yes it is!" "It is quite blue, yes, I agree!", "Why yes, it is quite blue, isn't it?". No. Conversations like this are useless. s**t like "Oh, your art is nice, I don't agree with some of your choices but it's okay because we all have different opinions and beauty is in the eye of beholder!" is incredibly useless too. No, ******** you, imaginary sheep. ******** you in your empty, wooly a**.
            Opinions are formed and solidified when you describe them, compare them, defend them. When somebody questions your beliefs, you should be ******** grateful, because they're helping you evolve. Then, of course, you should also find flaws and question their beliefs, because it's courtesy to return the favour. Let's say it once and for all: conflict is good. If a 'friendly' person backs away from 'an argument', they might think they're being a better person, or that they don't want to hurt my feelings, or something--while I think they're being massive dicks, basically telling me that they don't deem me worth talking to. THAT is what I consider being pretty damn unfriendly. Of course, extremes are never good, but I firmly believe that a healthy dose of actual brain exercising is irreplaceable.

Ain't that fun, being all old-fashioned an' stuff.

That said, I firmly believe that you can be friendly without being a faded rainbow vomit. During my short, but absolutely lovely time as an art teacher, I made it a point to make my kids talk to each other. I made it a point to teach them how important opinions are, because opinions make who we are and that if you don't know each other, it's like you don't exist. Then, to much eternal delight, I had kids (5-7 years old) ******** debating--in their own, childish way, but I was just so extatic when I heard them talking about why Betty likes this picture, why Jimmy doesn't like it, and why Betty thinks Jimmy doesn't like it and vice versa. Even remembering it gives me a massive braingasm of joy and proudness, because my preshus babbus were so ******** smart!

Now, fast forward to yesterday, I tell a teenager that the arm they drew has different directions mixed up and I am called a c**t.

What.

Why.

Why is a 7yo child smarter than, you, teenager?! Okay, yeah, I know that you've been drinking fluoridated water, but hell, that can't be an explaination to everything!

And, just to end this post on a more FRIENDLY note, allow me to post this: [********].

Long post is long.
Someday there will be a fabulous art college someplace and the trifecta will flock there to teach the ways of fine art and fun, not aware that the other is going there. We will meet and the world will probably contort into a giant heart shape and we will all be transported into a wonderland or it will skip the contortion and we all just be transported to a wonderland of art and cookies and sex and Pauline Boty will be there and we will help her get over her heroine addiction and she can keep making fabulous art.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff