Welcome to Gaia! ::

Invisible Guildsman

5,950 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Popular Thread 100
looking for some advice on what i should do with this
like i actually kind of like the lines being messy but at the same time i dont know if other people like them
and i dont know how i should go about coloring it

User Image
Rough lines like that work well, and give the image a very dynamic look.
As the artist, it's entirely up to your taste.
I, personally, like to see some of the sketch lines in the finish product, because they add more definition to the illustration, but if you have too many, your line quality can start to look a little fuzzy.

My suggestion would be to tighten or clean up groups of lines where you want there to be specific details noticed; the face, hand poise, specific details on the clothing and such. You could also try incorporation/experimenting with implied lines.

Invisible Guildsman

5,950 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Popular Thread 100
Kotali
Rough lines like that work well, and give the image a very dynamic look.
As the artist, it's entirely up to your taste.
I, personally, like to see some of the sketch lines in the finish product, because they add more definition to the illustration, but if you have too many, your line quality can start to look a little fuzzy.

My suggestion would be to tighten or clean up groups of lines where you want there to be specific details noticed; the face, hand poise, specific details on the clothing and such. You could also try incorporation/experimenting with implied lines.

hmmm yeah i've been told by a few people now to leave the lines messy but still refine them in certain areas
and i think i'll do that!
will post updates!
This strangely reminds of that short trailer of the Zelda for Wii U from the recent E3. xd

I agree with Kotali above. It all depends on the artist's style. And you pull it off quite nicely, too. Toning it a tad down would be nice, though. But it doesn't really matter as long as it's only used on the outer outline of your character. But that's just my preference. Good job! 3nodding

Invisible Guildsman

5,950 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Popular Thread 100
Sir Keiz
This strangely reminds of that short trailer of the Zelda for Wii U from the recent E3. xd

I agree with Kotali above. It all depends on the artist's style. And you pull it off quite nicely, too. Toning it a tad down would be nice, though. But it doesn't really matter as long as it's only used on the outer outline of your character. But that's just my preference. Good job! 3nodding

it is that link actually!
i haven't added any definitive parts of that outfit yet but once it's colored and finished then it'll look exact hopefully
Haha. I knew it was familiar! I was too much in awe to take it all in when they first showed it, so I had to rewatch it like 10 more times.

Best of luck!

Invisible Guildsman

5,950 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Popular Thread 100
here's a progress report
added a bit of color for now and i'm improving the lines slowly
how does it look??

User Image
Hyperlinked Databases
here's a progress report
added a bit of color for now and i'm improving the lines slowly
how does it look??

User Image

Awesome, so far. Definitely better than the one above. Can't wait to see your finished output! biggrin

Invisible Guildsman

5,950 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Popular Thread 100
progress report before bed!
changed the design of the belts so they look more proper, also added his arm guard and the designs on parts of his clothing
some colors were changed as well

User Image

Invisible Guildsman

5,950 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Popular Thread 100
probably my last progress report before i finish it
i need a little help with the background though, does it look good at all with the drawing and how would i go about coloring the leaves?

User Image

Invisible Guildsman

5,950 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Popular Thread 100
badump a bump

Invisible Guildsman

5,950 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Popular Thread 100
help anyone?

Timid Astronomer

8,475 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Unleash the Beast 100
Mostly I just wanted to say, for future pictures, I suggest not shading with just darker hues of the color you're using. I usually try to pick a color for the shadows and then a color for high lights.

Like, I'll shade with a purple and high light with a very light yellow so that there is more energy and atmosphere in a picture. There are lots of tutorials on how to do this

By general rule, though, you can always shade with the complimentary color of the one you're using for bolder colors and sharper contrasts.

You could do for more balance with the background and shading. The background makes it feel like there's a lot of light hitting Link, so you should have really bright areas where the light hits and really dark, sharp shadows. Without it, the figure feels separate from the background like a sticker.

Good luck!

Invisible Guildsman

5,950 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Popular Thread 100
CadetteAlright
Mostly I just wanted to say, for future pictures, I suggest not shading with just darker hues of the color you're using. I usually try to pick a color for the shadows and then a color for high lights.

Like, I'll shade with a purple and high light with a very light yellow so that there is more energy and atmosphere in a picture. There are lots of tutorials on how to do this

By general rule, though, you can always shade with the complimentary color of the one you're using for bolder colors and sharper contrasts.

You could do for more balance with the background and shading. The background makes it feel like there's a lot of light hitting Link, so you should have really bright areas where the light hits and really dark, sharp shadows. Without it, the figure feels separate from the background like a sticker.

Good luck!

i tried a new coloring method in general and used more purple colors
it's a little bright on some parts right now but let me know if it's any better!

User Image

Timid Astronomer

8,475 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Unleash the Beast 100
Hyperlinked Databases
CadetteAlright

Good luck!

i tried a new coloring method in general and used more purple colors
it's a little bright on some parts right now but let me know if it's any better!

User Image

Yea, the shadows are much more intense now, it looks great

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas