Welcome to Gaia! ::

Original Demigod

21,725 Points
  • Winter Warrior 50
  • Threadmaster 200
I am not here for bad feed back, if you have something to say do the"oh its really cute, BUT you coul dBLAHABHA"
MK?
Mk.
User Image

Nerd

I think the most useful thing for you to do at this stage is to learn how to shade and line more tidily and interestingly- get in control and understand what you're doing.

In regards to the shading, right now you are doing something called 'pillow shading' where you follow the lines- instead, try to draw something without doing any linework. Try to build the image up out of areas of light, dark and mid tone. This will help you understand shapes in a 3-d sense.

To help your line work I recommend working with some traditional media. Line width variation is good, but yours is untidy and a little all over the place. It makes it confusing for the reader to look at. You have to learn to make the lines emphasize the right features.

EG the line around his face/jaw/ear is very bold, heavy and the same width the whole way around, but for the wing you've used a very tiny little line- again the same width the whole way round.

If you can work with a real paintbrush, then you should. Try to go for one with long bristles. It may seem hard to control at first, but once you've learnt what marks it can make, you'll be able to apply the different kinds and weights of line to your digital drawing.

if traditional is not an option, get some kind of touch responsive tablet with pen pressure. It isn't as good as learning traditionally, but it will emulate the same kind of thing. Try to work at around 300dpi. It looks like you might be working at 72 for this. Find a brush setting you find hard to control at first, and then learn to use it.

The only other thing i can suggest right now is to make things more consistent/tidy.
By this i'm referring to the white on his jacket- i feel like this is meant to be shading, but because it's white (very high contrast, compared to the shading on his face, also) it looks a little like you didn't colour in tidily. The fact these lines are not as soft as the rest of the shading doesn't help either. The blocky way you've done the hearts/shadow on the ground also conflicts with everything else you've shaded in the image being soft. Try to keep it more consistant next time. : )

I hope that's all helpful to you, good luck!

Lonely Friend

12,250 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Millionaire 200
SenpaIDGAF
I am not here for bad feed back, if you have something to say do the"oh its really cute, BUT you coul dBLAHABHA"
MK?
Mk.
User Image

SENPAI NOTICE ME!!!!

Original Demigod

21,725 Points
  • Winter Warrior 50
  • Threadmaster 200
Blood Promise
SenpaIDGAF
MK?
Mk.
User Image

SENPAI NOTICE ME!!!!

Hi

Lonely Friend

12,250 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Millionaire 200
SenpaIDGAF
Blood Promise
SenpaIDGAF
MK?
Mk.
User Image

SENPAI NOTICE ME!!!!

Hi
Lol Love your picture its soooooo cute!

Shy Otaku

You are doing good for starting out, the best thing you can do from here is study life and see things for how they really are. Chibis I know are not meant to me realistic, but basic anatomy is important. For chibis I would suggest looking at lots of them online and trying to replicate poses and facial structure. I don't mean trace or copy them, more or less imitate and then make it your own.
Again you are doing well for starting out, you just need more practice :3

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces