Welcome to Gaia! ::

I usually draw animals, but this is the first charcoal drawing of a person that wasn't myself, and the only good person drawing that I've ever done I think Dx I very rarely draw people
The mouth is a little weird, but I think I did alright other than that, what do you guys think?
I can post the original if you guys wanna see it
User Image
I actually think this is a well drawn (or charcoaled, or what have you) piece! You have a great attention to the detail of the face and the shading is spot on! It is lovely!
The shading on the nose is great! One thing I'd suggest is using more light grays to add some depth to future pieces! yum_cupcake

Loyal Friend

13,500 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Befriended 100
wow that's really good for first time cat_surprised
i for instant can't draw realistic people at all cat_redface

Friendly Fatcat

13,075 Points
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Super Tipsy 200
That's awesome! I don't see anything wrong with the mouth at all, and I absolutely adore the eyes!

Romantic Noob

12,650 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Wow, that's really nice! The only thing that stood out to me was the nostrils.
Maybe I'm not good with perspective but it seems like her front nostril is way bigger than the hidden one.

Sparkly Shopper

Good start! try drawing from photos that aren't front-lit (like many profile pictures and model ads, etc.) as they tend to wash out the features and drawing them, if not done 1000% perfectly, will appear flat. it's also better for learning facial structure smile

I'd say just keep working on the structure of things, such as the eyes and mouth and nose. people get too caught up in drawing eyelashes perfectly but they're not drawing what they see, so things will be way out of place or cartoony. yours isn't like that but you want to avoid that "bad fan drawings" look, haha : ) good luck!

Son_of_Durin's Fangirl

Eternal Gatekeeper

15,575 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • 50 Wins 150
I think its well done

Perfect Businesswoman

13,200 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Marathon 300
pretty good O: !! Keep at it and you will be Great in no time!

Distinct Elder

I think you may be focusing a bit too much on line and not enough on form. Forms make up objects and changes in form are expressed by changes in value (i.e. moving up or down on a grey scale). Applying this correctly will eliminate your need for lines to "hold" your art together.

This isn't to say line is a bad thing to use, but your piece seems to be kinda in between line and value work. Moreover, the lines are so scratchy and heavy-handed that if you are going for line work, I'd recommend cleaning up your technique.

Not sure if this was drawn from a photo but I would recommend starting drawing from photos and really looking at the planes and how the values are expressing them.
Thank you to everyone for your comments, critiques and compliments!
Also this was from a photograph
Shufoofle
Wow, that's really nice! The only thing that stood out to me was the nostrils.
Maybe I'm not good with perspective but it seems like her front nostril is way bigger than the hidden one.

I know I'm a bit late, but I just realized why it may appear that one nostril is larger, it may be because of the nose piercing that throws it off a bit.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff