Welcome to Gaia! ::

Newbie Member

5,100 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
It's been months since I've been here because of a busy school schedule but now I have graduated yay!

Would you guys mind giving me advice? I've received the best advice here when it comes to drawing (eventhough I only stayed for a few weeks in the community after making an account ehehe XD) so I thought I should ask again. The last time I asked and was answered, I improved greatly so thanks ^^

An advice for body anatomy would be greatly appreciated. I would prefer to stay with my anime-ish style though.

http://mikachu1093.deviantart.com/art/Felicia-final-456755543

http://mikachu1093.deviantart.com/art/Pastel-Girl-459456844

and something I am working on:

http://mikachu1093.deviantart.com/art/Neko-Vampire-girl-something-470150258

Thanks in advance!
I am also thinking of setting up an art shop here. How does that work here in Gaia? To.. you know, get some items O3O

Anxious Cat

19,790 Points
  • Converting 100 items 100
  • Novice Mage 100
  • Invisibility 100
I can't think of any particular things that stand out as wrong in your drawings, so I can't help much with that part, but there's a helpful thread that can give you the basics of setting up an art shop linked in my siggy (it's got lots of sarcasm but I found it really amusing). Your art is nice though, I think you could get a lot of customers emotion_yatta

Dapper Phantom

Apart from watching out for the basic proportions every now and again, I don't really have an issue with the anatomy. Some other suggestions I have:

• I'd try not to rely so much on saturation/greys for shading. Play with the colors and see what happens when you use the other side of the color wheel for your shadows.

• Play with expressions! Make these gals smile, show some teeth, scowl, or even that weird face after bursting out in megalomaniacal laughter (scroll down for that one). See if you can get their body language to convey some of that feeling.

• Lastly, the detail in the hair is lovely. Hair is a LOT of fun to render. biggrin You'll need to bring out a degree of texture elsewhere so that the rest of the image doesn't look unfinished by comparison. You don't have to go crazy with the detail, mind. Just something for our eyes to hold onto.

Really, though, you've got a great base here. Good luck on starting your shop! (The language can be a bit coarse, but it really is a good guide for setting up shops in the shop forum.)

Newbie Member

5,100 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
Sakiusa
I can't think of any particular things that stand out as wrong in your drawings, so I can't help much with that part, but there's a helpful thread that can give you the basics of setting up an art shop linked in my siggy (it's got lots of sarcasm but I found it really amusing). Your art is nice though, I think you could get a lot of customers emotion_yatta

Thank you! I will look through the link ^_^

Newbie Member

5,100 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
euclids_triangle
Apart from watching out for the basic proportions every now and again, I don't really have an issue with the anatomy. Some other suggestions I have:

• I'd try not to rely so much on saturation/greys for shading. Play with the colors and see what happens when you use the other side of the color wheel for your shadows.

• Play with expressions! Make these gals smile, show some teeth, scowl, or even that weird face after bursting out in megalomaniacal laughter (scroll down for that one). See if you can get their body language to convey some of that feeling.

• Lastly, the detail in the hair is lovely. Hair is a LOT of fun to render. biggrin You'll need to bring out a degree of texture elsewhere so that the rest of the image doesn't look unfinished by comparison. You don't have to go crazy with the detail, mind. Just something for our eyes to hold onto.

Really, though, you've got a great base here. Good luck on starting your shop! (The language can be a bit coarse, but it really is a good guide for setting up shops in the shop forum.)

Ohh I see. I will play around with the color wheel I guess...thank you for the link biggrin I have been having troubles in drawing facial expressions. That I wouldn't lie about sad
I've never noticed that the hair details are too detailed for the whole picture...I guess I have to tone that down?

Dapper Phantom

You really don't have to tone down the hair, honestly. Just raise the notch elsewhere. biggrin On Felicia, for example: the fruit and watermelon are VERY smooth in comparison to the hat and the hair. It distracts. So, pop a little subtle texture in and voila!

I took the liberty of making a little collage. The large pic on the left is your original of Felicia, the top right is with the texture added to the fruits. The last pic is a little more complicated. Basically, I fooled around with the saturation and the colors.

• The saturation warmed the picture and brought out her bathing suit.
  • The reds and greens on the fruit and watermelon were much more on the blue range, and stood out when I blurred my eyes. I changed the colors so that they fit the color scheme a bit more.
  • On her hair, I used a purple brush to darken some of the shadows and set that layer to "multiply" mode. That keeps the purple in the shadows.
  • I added some darker shading to her jacket/shirt. I did not focus on this part too much, but hopefully it will serve as a decent example of how the shading can really affect the overall look.
  • Mind, changing the saturation caused the cup to disappear, so that's a downside to my method.

These really were not big fixes, so I'd say you're still on the right track. I do hope I helped in general.

Newbie Member

5,100 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
Thank you very much. I will definitely try to do better next time. I understood the pointers you had given biggrin

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff