2,300 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Member 100
Quote:
an·i·me
ˈanəˌmā/
noun
a style of Japanese film and television animation, typically aimed at adults as well as children.

This should honestly end the thread but it wont. rolleyes

Alien Invader

Well, anime means cartoons and anime...are cartoons, but since it's a Japanese word I use to it to refer to Japanese productions?

I guess the best way to explain would be when I'm reading a comic, say Tank Girl, I wouldn't call it a manga even though that also refers to all comics in Japanese, but I'm not Japanese so I'm not going to call it a manga.

As a foreigner to Japan and not a speaker of the Japanese language those words have stricter meanings for me. However, that meaning can get a bit convoluted these days with international collaborations and how Japanese productions have influenced foreign work.

Lupine Spirit

14,950 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Team Jacob 100
Niji no Jojishi
Quote:
an·i·me
ˈanəˌmā/
noun
a style of Japanese film and television animation, typically aimed at adults as well as children.

except the literal definition of anime inside Japan is just any animated cartoon. it doesn't imply style of animation or country of origin. even CGI and claymation stuff gets called anime inside Japan.
Mugetsu Ookamiza
Tenchi Misaki1
th eonly one i can recall that was american made first then went to Japan was Lady death. being 29 now i recall back when i was a 12 year old or younger anime wasnt anime because it came from Japan anime was anime because of the mature content in the anime at the time compared to most cartoons aired in the states and europe at the time. Anime like Dominion tank police, apple seed, Guyver, cyber city oedo 808 etc all had themes of violence and others that would simply not be present in a western based cartoon. Thats my two cents anyway.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118475/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wizards_(film)
https://www.google.com/search?q=watership+down+movie+woundwort&client=firefox-a&hs=moK&sa=X&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=sb&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&ei=PdpuU5qLHoO1yATKqIG4CA&ved=0CCYQsAQ&biw=1366&bih=670

Oh damn i forgot Spawn lol! i remember seeing the one with the bunnies etc but i never heard of that wizards until now

Fashionable Genius

2,300 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Member 100
Mugetsu Ookamiza
Niji no Jojishi
Quote:
an·i·me
ˈanəˌmā/
noun

except the literal definition of anime inside Japan is just any animated cartoon. it doesn't imply style of animation or country of origin. even CGI and claymation stuff gets called anime inside Japan.

In America, the literal definition of cartoon is just any animated cartoon. neutral

Lupine Spirit

14,950 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Team Jacob 100
Niji no Jojishi
Mugetsu Ookamiza
Niji no Jojishi
Quote:
an·i·me
ˈanəˌmā/
noun

In America, the literal definition of cartoon is just any animated cartoon. neutral
actually, technically cartoon can also be used for still stuff too, in the same way comics is. like those political cartoons you see in the newspaper. that's why on Merriam-Webster it gives the three simplified definitions for cartoon as
Quote:
: a drawing in a newspaper or magazine intended as a humorous comment on something

: a series of drawings that tell a story

: a film or television show made by photographing a series of drawings : an animated film or television show

and has a separate entry specifically for animated cartoons as well.

quite frankly, cartoon and comic can in some situations be used as synonyms, depending on the context.

it is of note inside Japan before the 80's they called animated cartoons manga-egia instead of anime, and it WAS sometimes shortened just to manga. so contextually manga can also be used to refer to animated stuff, at least inside Japan, especially if it's being used by someone who remembers the times before they adopted the word anime for animated cartoons.

Fashionable Genius

2,300 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Member 100
Mugetsu Ookamiza
Niji no Jojishi
Mugetsu Ookamiza
Niji no Jojishi
Quote:
an·i·me
ˈanəˌmā/
noun

actually, technically cartoon can also be used for still stuff too, in the same way comics is. like those political cartoons you see in the newspaper. that's why on Merriam-Webster it gives the three simplified definitions for cartoon as
Quote:
: a drawing in a newspaper or magazine intended as a humorous comment on something

: a series of drawings that tell a story

: a film or television show made by photographing a series of drawings : an animated film or television show

and has a separate entry specifically for animated cartoons as well.

quite frankly, cartoon and comic can in some situations be used as synonyms, depending on the context.

it is of note inside Japan before the 80's they called animated cartoons manga-egia instead of anime, and it WAS sometimes shortened just to manga. so contextually manga can also be used to refer to animated stuff, at least inside Japan, especially if it's being used by someone who remembers the times before they adopted the word anime for animated cartoons.

The title of the thread is "Why do anime fans think that anime has to come from Japan"

If anime can be defined as a "Japanese film or cartoon", would that not answer the question?
When you first heard of anime, what did it refer to? Did it refer to a Japanese cartoon or did it refer to anything American? And I do mean the very first time, not a time that you can think of, but the first time. Im sure.. . 99% sure that whoever or wherever you found "anime" it was a cartoon from Japan.

Shy Gekko

5,850 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200
Anime means Japanese animation.
Though there are many animation's which take the art-style from anime, that doesn't make it anime though. As far as I see, if an anime isn't from Japan then it is a animation(Even if it takes the art-style, much like Avatar: The Last Airbender)
Animations that aren't from Japan are called anime-influenced animation.(Defined by both fans and the industry)

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff