Total Votes:[ 43 ]
< 1 2 3 4 >

mv 's Problem

Spicy Dog

17,325 Points
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Timid 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
I don't think Vic's voice matches Rin. That is to say, based on getting used to Mamoru's voice with Rin's character. Basically trying to imagine Ed's voice with Rin, and it's really not working. I didn't know it myself until I came to this thread and found out that Vic also dubbed Tamaki, so I guess Mamo = Vic to them.

Plus the fact that there are many problems if Vic as a person voice acts someone from Free!, but that's another story.

Beloved Prophet

idc, subbed will always be superior (few exceptions, i know)
why watch dubbed when can watch sub?

Questionable Conversationalist

Raizel-nim

Easy Answer
To enjoy hearing something in another language
To be able to watch it and multitask like knitting or eating or writing or homework
To not have to read subs

Important Answer
Those with vision issues that face physical discomfort or just cannot read subs but understand spoken English get to enjoy the show
To increase the audience pool and get the show more money and stimulate the industry as a whole with sales and selling stream rights (some stuff might be more popular on Netflix or Hulu when it has an English dub)

Beloved Prophet

Milady Alluca
Raizel-nim

Easy Answer
To enjoy hearing something in another language
To be able to watch it and multitask like knitting or eating or writing or homework
To not have to read subs

Important Answer
Those with vision issues that face physical discomfort or just cannot read subs but understand spoken English get to enjoy the show
To increase the audience pool and get the show more money and stimulate the industry as a whole with sales and selling stream rights

I get your point(s) but I would still prefer them to watch it in the original language. The full impact can't be properly expressed by a dubbed version, sometimes it just doesn't sound right in a different language.
If it was a last resort like with what you mentioned before hand, a health problem, then by all means watch the dubbed version.
Putting the commercial factor aside, I'm mostly shaking my head at those ignorant fools who deny watching it in the original language, claiming that the dubbed version is superior to the japanese. It is my opinion and others are entitled to their own, but really now. If you have no problems watching the better subbed version, why settle for the dubbed?
There's been a lot of controversy having Vic as the VA for Rin.
Personally, I don't have a problem with it. I don't watch dubs, I prefer subs.
people are already saying not to support the dub just because Vic plays Rin cat_confused

Feral Diedrich

Honestly, I don't like Vic. I love Tatum and Bosch, though, so I might just watch the dub eventually..........................

Feral Diedrich

Ryumance
I don't think Vic's voice matches Rin. That is to say, based on getting used to Mamoru's voice with Rin's character. Basically trying to imagine Ed's voice with Rin, and it's really not working. I didn't know it myself until I came to this thread and found out that Vic also dubbed Tamaki, so I guess Mamo = Vic to them.

Plus the fact that there are many problems if Vic as a person voice acts someone from Free!, but that's another story.

Yeah, I feel someone with a deeper voice should be dubbing Rin, but that's just my opinion. neutral
Somehow I'm not surprised that they decided to go for an Ouran reunion (plus Bosch), but I'm a little disappointed. I was expecting a few more curveballs like with Attack on Titan.

As far as Rin goes, Vic is capable of doing deeper voices like Ikkaku from Bleach and Broly in DBZ, so he probably won't sound exactly like Ed or Tamaki. It's not who I would've gone with, but I can see it working.
casually putting forth the opinion that Vic can probably come up with a pretty okay voice for Rin. idk why anyone would try picturing Rin with X's voice because the whole purpose of voice actors is to be able to change their voice.

I'm probably not going to watch this anyway though... still can't wait for samples.

Lupine Spirit

14,950 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Team Jacob 100
Albinus of Angers
casually putting forth the opinion that Vic can probably come up with a pretty okay voice for Rin. idk why anyone would try picturing Rin with X's voice because the whole purpose of voice actors is to be able to change their voice.

I'm probably not going to watch this anyway though... still can't wait for samples.
yeah, judging from some of his roles he could potentially pull it off. I know he gets a lot of flack for sounding recognizable, but sometimes voice directors ENCOURAGE that with VAs that become "big names" as it makes them more recognizable and pulls in their fanbase easier. it's kind of silly since a VA that shows more range is more impressive, but sometimes they'd rather go with recognizability than let them show their voice acting range properly (or they use their range only on side roles when they're voicing minor characters as well as more focal roles).

so if this is handled right and they're not pushing him to sound as recognizable as they do sometimes this could work. of course even if they do he could still at least manage to get the energy of the character right. he's done that before.
Mugetsu Ookamiza
of course even if they do he could still at least manage to get the energy of the character right. he's done that before.

I'm slightly more concerned that he's jumping right into post-angst Rin by skipping the first season, which obvs isn't Vic's fault but I do hope they all take S1 into heavy consideration before coming up with these voices. It's more of a concern for S1 though, assuming they're eventually going to be able to do it because that's what I choose to assume.

Aged Gekko

5,100 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • First step to fame 200
The only thing I'm interested in is when RinHaruralia happens is when Haru and Rin go to Australia and how that's going to go.

First ten episodes of Free! is perfect English, speaking perfect English, suddenly the eleventh episode is jibber jab and Haru suddenly doesn't speak a wink of English or understand it.

I'm very interested.

Magical Fairy

20,300 Points
  • Caroling Champ 100
  • Snowball Hero 200
  • Frozen Solid 200
Quote:
Rin - Vic Mignogna

As much as I love his role in FMA and FMA:B, I do not approve of this. Unless he's able to alter his voice acting, I do not want to hear Edward Elric's voice in Rin. emotion_donotwant In almost every other Vic anime I've watched in the past, he always still managed to sound the same in most of them.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff