Welcome to Gaia! ::

do you like the Free! cast?

yes 0.32558139534884 32.6% [ 14 ]
no 0.32558139534884 32.6% [ 14 ]
idc 0.34883720930233 34.9% [ 15 ]
Total Votes:[ 43 ]
1 2 3 4 >

So it still feels gross that they're dubbing S2 before they got the rights to S1 but its fun to see which VAs are working on Free! so far we have

Nagisa - Greg Ayres
Rei - J Michael Tatum
Makoto - Johnny Yong Bosch
Haru - Todd Haberkorn
Rin - Vic Mignogna
Momo - Jerry Jewell
Nitori - Josh Grelle
Sosuke - Ian Sinclair
Gou - Jamie Marchi

+ from the Free! blog
Quote:

Finally, here are a few more cast members from Free! ES:

Miho Amakata - Caitlin Glass
Seijuro Mikoshiba - Robert McCollum
Goro Sasabe - Christopher R. Sabat
Takuya Uozumi - Clifford Chapin
Kazuteru Minami - Micah Solusod
ADR Director - Jerry Jewell
ADR Engineers - Alyssa Galindo/ Kenneth Thompson
Adapted Scriptwriter - J. Michael Tatum
*Please note that not all characters have been cast yet.

What do you guys think? Will you be watching the dub? Who do you like/dislike?
I'm really happy Tatum is playing Rei, he's the character I was worried about the most ;v;

Questionable Conversationalist

We have to pray the two companies play nice so we get both seasons lol

I ain't even made that Greg Ayres got Nagisa, it might actually be a good fit. I'm staying positive on that.
For Rei, I thought I recognized Tatum as Aso's VA from School Rumble and I liked Aso's cool voice so I'll stay positive for that, too. But...the fact that Tatum also did Michael Kohara from Gah-Rei: Zero is making me cackle.

I don't keep track of enough voice actors and which stables they belong to for me to guess but I really hope Sousuke gets a hot deep voice, and I hope Haru gets a suitable voice, and I am praying PRAYING Makoto gets a really hot voice yes please.

But even if I don't get what I want I'll ultimately still have discs with both dubs and that's what's important to me.

Girl-Crazy Man-Lover

13,650 Points
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
I like Greg Ayres, but I'm not sure if he's the best fit for Nagisa. I'm willing to give him a chance though. Tatum on the other hand was a great pick, imo. He played Kyoya in Ouran. I can totally see him as Rei.

I just hope Makoto gets a good pick now.
I personally would've rather had Bang Zoom do this, since they've been doing fantastic work lately and their voice stable gets few enough chances to show off as it is. Then again, I'm one of the few people who actually likes a lot of the newer CA talent and I think they take too much flak just because they're not the LA cast that was all over Adult Swim back in the day.

Though a good dub is what counts and I'm sure FUNi will deliver.
Milady Alluca

I really hope they do, Crunchyroll hasn't replied or anything yet though ;v; I want to have both seasons!

Greg isn't a bad choice, he voiced Shion and Abe and I thought they were ok. I personally love Tatum, back when Funi announced that they would be dubbing Free! a lot of people guessed Tatum for Rei and I cant believe we got it right haha I'm sure he'll do a great job.

Deeper voices would go great with Sousuke and Rin, Haru is so normal so I think he'll be the easiest to cast and I'm not so concerned about him, Makoto though.. I cant really imagine a good voice for him.
Seisele

Makoto is the toughest, I cant think of anyone atm but he's such a calm character, I cant imagine him having a voice that's rough or deep but at the same time a soft voice would be really of too uvu;;
DarknessShinigami77

That would have been great, Funi doesn't always do so good, when thinking about Free! getting licensed I was hoping for anyone but Funi to get it cat_sweatdrop

but I like this anime and I'm just happy it's getting dubbed at all, plus the cast is looking good so far :>
milk tea panda
Seisele

Makoto is the toughest, I cant think of anyone atm but he's such a calm character, I cant imagine him having a voice that's rough or deep but at the same time a soft voice would be really of too uvu;;

I could see Patrick Seitz, since he played Sky High in Tiger & Bunny, but FUNi usually casts him as either tough guys or goofballs (or both).

Girl-Crazy Man-Lover

13,650 Points
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
milk tea panda
Seisele

Exactly, his voice is calm and more...smooth? I can't think of anyone off the top of my head who has a voice that could portray that. Guess we'll see soon enough though.

milk tea panda
Let's hope with all our might :U They did say they don't want to sit on the rights and that fans should look forward to news in the future so maybe maybe we'll be in good hands ;w;

Yeah I honestly like Greg's voice - and I sometimes am annoyed with Nagisa's Japanese voice so imagining Greg's is honestly making me a bit "I'm gonna look forward to this" and aha for Rei I will look forward to it with GUSTO because it seems like a pretty perfect match <3

I hope Rin doesn't get an annoying kind of voice, and a deep rumble for Sou would make my heart melt. Haru I'm not tooo worried about...but yeah Makoto my precious wonderful adorable lovable duckling...there aren't many VAs I can really think of that could compare to his serene tones in Japanese...

Like I think JYB's gentleness would be perfect for him...but there's just a certain sound to his voice...I love JYB to death I don't think his...breathiness? would suit Makoto...

Just...Just as long as Vic Mignogna stays far FAR away from Free and my Makoto I will accept almost anyone Funi throws at me ;___;

Oh and I think Leah Clark could probably be a good voice for Kou though she's a bit more of a...bolder voice? She's got a young but straightforward kind of sound but I really loved her as Kagura in Gah-Rei: Zero. I'd say Alexis Tipton because I love her but her voice is a little more mature and grown up and might not make the best match for Kou...

Zhu Liu Hai's Senpai

Anxious Citizen

â–Œwe aren't family, friends, or lovers â–Œwe just don't hate each other

I'm hoping Johnny Yong Bosch for Rin
and
Vic Mignogna for Makoto.

Tatum as Rei was just meant to be. I don't know of anyone else who could have been Rei.
as for Ayres, he did bad a** in Karneval as Gareki and OHSHC as Kaoru, so I'm all for it! His voice is a bit deeper than I'd have liked for Nagisa, but it's still super adorbs.

â–Œso we stay together â–Œthat's all

Invisible Friend

7,350 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Friendly 100
Bryce Papenbrook for Rin...
Though probably not since he's Eren from SNK...
I can wish though 4laugh

OpZeroFilms's Kouhai

Eloquent Genius

22,800 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Senpai's Notice 100
Tatum is fabulous in everything, so I can't complain. rofl
I wonder who the rest of the cast will be? I'm kind of hoping Liam O'Brien will be voicing one of the characters.

JYB AS MAKOTO

okay i take back what I said about being unsure I think I just didn't want to disappoint myself. As soon as i saw the news I screamed excitedly so I'm crawling into my trash can to repeatedly praise JYB and Funi like the trash princess I am.
Milady Alluca

OMG I know when I saw the announcement I was like WOW??? what a perfect choice for Makoto! so far so good with the casting cat_surprised

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff