Welcome to Gaia! ::

Shopper

So As I Pray
T o l3 y
CocoDipKit
wahmbulance wahmbulance wahmbulance NEVER BE AFRAID TO WATCH ANIME IN THE OPEN!!! I watch anime in class all the time and people dont say nothing to me (cus i'd be them up) its not something to be ashamed of, embrace it, live it, love it heart openly and ******** ppl that judge you!!!
See, what the problem with that is, if I do that and don't associate with people that would judge me I wouldn't have friends.

Like I've said, I've met only a handful of people that watch anime. So why would I isolate myself...?

If they're gonna judge you over watching harmless cartoons they're probably not very good friends anyways.
I guess you don't live here in the states, where people judge you over everything. Whether it be "harmless cartoons", the clothes you wear, the car you drive, so on and so forth.
Also, as I've said before, just because they'd judge me for watching anime does not make them bad friends. Not everyone has the same opinion on everything, and PLEASE prove me wrong on that.

What you said also brings up a good point that, if you're just watching anime in like an airport, and people see you, what are they going to think?
"How old is he/she? Why is he/she still watching cartoons? Sorry, but I'd rather not be judged at all and keep it hidden from everyone save a few people.

Otherworldly Comrade

19,065 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Master Converter 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Well, my parents don't know because they are very strict and wouldn't understand anyways and I really don't feel like getting myself mixed up into that, but most of my friends know. Actually, most of my friends like anime themselves (some a bit too much... sweatdrop )

Khraleon's Wife

Kawaii Wife

T o l3 y
So As I Pray
T o l3 y
CocoDipKit
wahmbulance wahmbulance wahmbulance NEVER BE AFRAID TO WATCH ANIME IN THE OPEN!!! I watch anime in class all the time and people dont say nothing to me (cus i'd be them up) its not something to be ashamed of, embrace it, live it, love it heart openly and ******** ppl that judge you!!!
See, what the problem with that is, if I do that and don't associate with people that would judge me I wouldn't have friends.

Like I've said, I've met only a handful of people that watch anime. So why would I isolate myself...?

If they're gonna judge you over watching harmless cartoons they're probably not very good friends anyways.
I guess you don't live here in the states, where people judge you over everything. Whether it be "harmless cartoons", the clothes you wear, the car you drive, so on and so forth.
Also, as I've said before, just because they'd judge me for watching anime does not make them bad friends. Not everyone has the same opinion on everything, and PLEASE prove me wrong on that.

What you said also brings up a good point that, if you're just watching anime in like an airport, and people see you, what are they going to think?
"How old is he/she? Why is he/she still watching cartoons? Sorry, but I'd rather not be judged at all and keep it hidden from everyone save a few people.

I do live in the states though.

While I don't go around shouting at the top of my lungs that I like anime I make zero effort to hide it.

And yes, judging you for your tastes to the point of they wouldn't be friends with you if they knew you liked anime does make them bad friends.

Shopper

So As I Pray
T o l3 y
So As I Pray
T o l3 y
CocoDipKit

While I don't go around shouting at the top of my lungs that I like anime I make zero effort to hide it.

And yes, judging you for your tastes to the point of they wouldn't be friends with you if they knew you liked anime does make them bad friends.
Well, apparently you don't get out much then.

Why don't you shout it, then? If you don't mind people knowing it shouldn't be a problem, correct? Tell you what, your next job interview just lead off with that. If your boss is your friend, go ahead and talk to him or her about it. Go ahead.

Did I say they wouldn't be my friends if they knew I watched anime? I don't recall every saying they would unfriend me because of it. Now, if I was some guy who sat there in class watching anime, saying "friend-san!" and saying "******** you" to them because they judge me, yeah I wouldn't have friends. But that's not me, and that's not how it would go down. If that were me, I'd be in the anime club with people who's only similar interest is anime. If my friends found out, they would just call me childish and stuff like that. I'm not going to go "OH U MADE FUN OF ME N JUDGED ME I NOT UR FRIEND ANYMORE." That would be childish. My friends and I share the same view on many things, yet some things differ. They don't watch anime, I do. Why would I tell them? What good would come of it?

So please, don't take things out of context and try to fabricate a point when there isn't one. They would not be bad friends for making fun of me for watching anime. It's not that big of a deal. We make fun of each other for a lot of stuff. Bad friends? Quite the opposite.

So please, try to make a good point without making stuff up. I'll be waiting.

Edit: If this came out as rude, my apologies. I don't mean to be rude, just typing my thoughts as they come.
I guess I'm just not like most of the people here. Watching anime is something I like doing alone and I come online to talk about if I feel the need to. Most of the people I know that do watch anime, from high school and here in college, I (along with many others) would consider them "weird." I know it's not because they watch anime, but it's the fact they're so open about it. Throwing kamehameha's at each other before 4th period, doing some ninjutsu at lunch, yelling "Gum-gum rocket" while taking a s**t is weird to me. While I may be admitting I'm an ignorant hypocrite, I just choose not to be seen in that light. A facade if you will. "We wear the mask."

Faun

when i was around 14 i was somewhat a 'closet-anime watcher/fan' cause i was bullied and picked-on for liking anime. but now i'm not. i don't really care what they call me or say to me anymore.
i found like 2-3 people in my school who like anime so yeah im fine now..

Magical Shoujo

8,700 Points
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Campaign Manager 500
I do watch in my closet, how did you know? eek ninja Seriously though, nope. I wear my geeky self with pride. My family tends to be ashamed but my friends are the same.

Anxious Worker

15,050 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Noble Shade 100
Everyone knows I watch anime and they really don't care lol.
My family don't really understand it but they don't mind. I go outside wearing anime shirts and necklaces because I like it and I don't see what's the problem with that.
Honestly, United States is pretty nice to people who watch anime. Now Japan, that place ******** hates anime watching autists so much that you gotta keep it in a closet. It's funny.

Fluffy Bunny

14,075 Points
  • Team Moira 200
  • Punk Patrol 250
  • Invisibility 100
People know I watch anime (and tokusatsu), but no one cares because I'm capable of talking about other things, it isn't all over my room and clothing, and it's not all I do with my time.

Honestly, no one will care as long as you're not weird, or if you're not a "Japanophile" who's obsessed with Japanese pop culture.

It should just be a hobby. Even in Japan it's looked down upon to be so into Anime/Manga/Video Games. To the average Japanese citizen, pop culture material is either for children or just a time killer.

Khraleon's Wife

Kawaii Wife

T o l3 y
So As I Pray
T o l3 y
So As I Pray
T o l3 y
CocoDipKit

Well, apparently you don't get out much then.

Why don't you shout it, then? If you don't mind people knowing it shouldn't be a problem, correct? Tell you what, your next job interview just lead off with that. If your boss is your friend, go ahead and talk to him or her about it. Go ahead.

Did I say they wouldn't be my friends if they knew I watched anime? I don't recall every saying they would unfriend me because of it. Now, if I was some guy who sat there in class watching anime, saying "friend-san!" and saying "******** you" to them because they judge me, yeah I wouldn't have friends. But that's not me, and that's not how it would go down. If that were me, I'd be in the anime club with people who's only similar interest is anime. If my friends found out, they would just call me childish and stuff like that. I'm not going to go "OH U MADE FUN OF ME N JUDGED ME I NOT UR FRIEND ANYMORE." That would be childish. My friends and I share the same view on many things, yet some things differ. They don't watch anime, I do. Why would I tell them? What good would come of it?

So please, don't take things out of context and try to fabricate a point when there isn't one. They would not be bad friends for making fun of me for watching anime. It's not that big of a deal. We make fun of each other for a lot of stuff. Bad friends? Quite the opposite.

So please, try to make a good point without making stuff up. I'll be waiting.

Edit: If this came out as rude, my apologies. I don't mean to be rude, just typing my thoughts as they come.
I guess I'm just not like most of the people here. Watching anime is something I like doing alone and I come online to talk about if I feel the need to. Most of the people I know that do watch anime, from high school and here in college, I (along with many others) would consider them "weird." I know it's not because they watch anime, but it's the fact they're so open about it. Throwing kamehameha's at each other before 4th period, doing some ninjutsu at lunch, yelling "Gum-gum rocket" while taking a s**t is weird to me. While I may be admitting I'm an ignorant hypocrite, I just choose not to be seen in that light. A facade if you will. "We wear the mask."

I get out as much as I need to.

My boss isn't a friend, I fail to see how that's relevant. I have, however, had managers who've brought the topic up and I've talked about it with them with no repercussions. One manager and I discussed the season's popular shows and what we liked or didn't like about them.

You see, you're the one who stated that if they knew that you were into anime, they would be the ones to stop being your friends. That seems pretty shitty a thing to do. I mean, if they'd judge you hard enough to want to cease contact with you over something like anime, I'd hate to see how they'd react to an actual issue. Who in the hell would want friends like that?

And you see, you're missing a point I'm making. You seem to assume that "not making any effort to hide it" means "YELLING AND SCREAMING ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE ANIME HOLY s**t". No, that's stupid. When I say I make no effort to hide it, I mean that if someone brings it up or talks about it, I'm not gonna be like "YEAH I DON'T WATCH ANY OF THAT STUFF. TOTALLY. I ONLY HAVE CRUNCHYROLL ON MY PS3 FOR THE DBZ NOSTALGIA. HEH..." If someone brought up the crunchyroll thing I'd be perfectly clear with them. "I have a couple shows I'm following this season, and later this year x is coming out and it looked pretty neat." s**t like that.

If people judge you even while you're being fine and reasonable over it, then those people are garbage and honestly not worth associating with on a friendly level.

Shopper

So As I Pray

My boss isn't a friend, I fail to see how that's relevant. I have, however, had managers who've brought the topic up and I've talked about it with them with no repercussions. One manager and I discussed the season's popular shows and what we liked or didn't like about them.

You see, you're the one who stated that if they knew that you were into anime, they would be the ones to stop being your friends. That seems pretty shitty a thing to do. I mean, if they'd judge you hard enough to want to cease contact with you over something like anime, I'd hate to see how they'd react to an actual issue. Who in the hell would want friends like that?

And you see, you're missing a point I'm making. You seem to assume that "not making any effort to hide it" means "YELLING AND SCREAMING ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE ANIME HOLY s**t". No, that's stupid. When I say I make no effort to hide it, I mean that if someone brings it up or talks about it, I'm not gonna be like "YEAH I DON'T WATCH ANY OF THAT STUFF. TOTALLY. I ONLY HAVE CRUNCHYROLL ON MY PS3 FOR THE DBZ NOSTALGIA. HEH..." If someone brought up the crunchyroll thing I'd be perfectly clear with them. "I have a couple shows I'm following this season, and later this year x is coming out and it looked pretty neat." s**t like that.

If people judge you even while you're being fine and reasonable over it, then those people are garbage and honestly not worth associating with on a friendly level.
And as I've said, if someone talks to me about anime, I'll talk with them about it. No problem.

"You see, you're the one who stated that if they knew that you were into anime, they would be the ones to stop being your friends. That seems pretty shitty a thing to do. I mean, if they'd judge you hard enough to want to cease contact with you over something like anime, I'd hate to see how they'd react to an actual issue. Who in the hell would want friends like that?"
Again with the fabrication. I literally just went over this in my last post. When did I say they would unfriend me?! I can not remember every saying that, so please enlighten me. I don't understand where you're getting this from.

You see, you're not getting my point. My point is my friends wouldn't understand. They'd say what most people would say who have never watched anime. So again, why would I oust myself? Maybe you should take about three extra days to reply next time so you can read thoroughly. People judge people. I don't understand how you, who live in the states, do not know this. They'd judge me for watching anime like I judge them for listening to country, or for wearing things that don't match. It's who I am and it's who we are. So who are you, some random person, to tell me I shouldn't associate with the people I am most like and enjoy spending time with, because they would not agree or understand with me watching anime? It's not a big deal. I'm going to hide it so I don't get reamed. I don't mind hiding it. It's my preference. Telling them wouldn't make a lick of difference for the better! If they did find out, oh well! We make fun of each other all the time and it wouldn't be different here. I'm just not going to openly tell them "Oh hey I watch japanese cartoons so go ahead and make fun of me!"

That'd be stupid.

Kawaii Kitten

No way. I believe 1000% in being proud of who you are. Of course I don't own any anime t-shirts or anything, but if someone asks I have no reason to hide it. Some of the best shows I've seen are anime. I don't think it's anything to hide. =D

Khraleon's Wife

Kawaii Wife

T o l3 y
So As I Pray

And as I've said, if someone talks to me about anime, I'll talk with them about it. No problem.

"You see, you're the one who stated that if they knew that you were into anime, they would be the ones to stop being your friends. That seems pretty shitty a thing to do. I mean, if they'd judge you hard enough to want to cease contact with you over something like anime, I'd hate to see how they'd react to an actual issue. Who in the hell would want friends like that?"
Again with the fabrication. I literally just went over this in my last post. When did I say they would unfriend me?! I can not remember every saying that, so please enlighten me. I don't understand where you're getting this from.

You see, you're not getting my point. My point is my friends wouldn't understand. They'd say what most people would say who have never watched anime. So again, why would I oust myself? Maybe you should take about three extra days to reply next time so you can read thoroughly. People judge people. I don't understand how you, who live in the states, do not know this. They'd judge me for watching anime like I judge them for listening to country, or for wearing things that don't match. It's who I am and it's who we are. So who are you, some random person, to tell me I shouldn't associate with the people I am most like and enjoy spending time with, because they would not agree or understand with me watching anime? It's not a big deal. I'm going to hide it so I don't get reamed. I don't mind hiding it. It's my preference. Telling them wouldn't make a lick of difference for the better! If they did find out, oh well! We make fun of each other all the time and it wouldn't be different here. I'm just not going to openly tell them "Oh hey I watch japanese cartoons so go ahead and make fun of me!"

That'd be stupid.

T o l3 y

You claim that admitting to your friends that you like anime would end up isolating you. This rather plainly implies that your friends wouldn't be your friends if you admitted you enjoyed it more than hiding it or anything.

I know plenty about people judging me for my tastes in just about anything, but I also judge them. Even among my friends; the difference is that it's not to the point of making me feel less about them. People enjoy different things, that's a given. Let's use country music as an example. I have several friends who enjoy it (what a shock, I live in the south) while I am 100% incapable of caring less for it. Do I judge my friends for enjoying it? A bit, yeah. It doesn't damage my opinion of them in any way that matters though. And likewise with me liking anime. Not all of them like it, some of them think it's ridiculous s**t but they don't judge me to the point where it affects our friendship in any way.

If you want to associate with fickle people who would judge you to the point of it being damaging to your relationship as friends, that's fine by me. I'm still going to view them as really shitty friends and in my shoes I wouldn't want to associate with such trash. If you really mattered to them, or they really mattered to you, they really shouldn't give a s**t.

But maybe we just have different and very conflicting values when it comes to friends. You said something about hiding it being a mask you wear, but why should you still wear that mask around people that matter to you on a personal level? I mean, I fully understand having a public persona for strangers until they show similar tastes, but you should be able to put that away for your friends.

Shopper

So As I Pray
T o l3 y
So As I Pray

That'd be stupid.

T o l3 y

You claim that admitting to your friends that you like anime would end up isolating you. This rather plainly implies that your friends wouldn't be your friends if you admitted you enjoyed it more than hiding it or anything.

I know plenty about people judging me for my tastes in just about anything, but I also judge them. Even among my friends; the difference is that it's not to the point of making me feel less about them. People enjoy different things, that's a given. Let's use country music as an example. I have several friends who enjoy it (what a shock, I live in the south) while I am 100% incapable of caring less for it. Do I judge my friends for enjoying it? A bit, yeah. It doesn't damage my opinion of them in any way that matters though. And likewise with me liking anime. Not all of them like it, some of them think it's ridiculous s**t but they don't judge me to the point where it affects our friendship in any way.

If you want to associate with fickle people who would judge you to the point of it being damaging to your relationship as friends, that's fine by me. I'm still going to view them as really shitty friends and in my shoes I wouldn't want to associate with such trash. If you really mattered to them, or they really mattered to you, they really shouldn't give a s**t.

But maybe we just have different and very conflicting values when it comes to friends. You said something about hiding it being a mask you wear, but why should you still wear that mask around people that matter to you on a personal level? I mean, I fully understand having a public persona for strangers until they show similar tastes, but you should be able to put that away for your friends.
Apparently you don't know how to read things in context. I said that to a poster who said to watch it in class and do it openly and "******** ppl that judge you." I wouldn't make any friends doing that (unless they watched anime) and if I wouldn't associate with the people that judge me (i.e. my current friends) I would be isolating myself. Never did I say, nor did I imply, my current friends would stop being my friends due to me watching anime. Please look at things in context next time.

Same here! We judge each other! But I'm not going to just give them something to judge me about if I can help it! It has nothing to do with them and most likely would never find out so why would I just tell them when nothing good would come of it?! I live in South Carolina and hate country ;c

It doesn't damage our relationship idk where you're getting that from. It makes us stronger. I couldn't care less that they judge me. They really wouldn't give a s**t, but it'd be something they could get me on. I wouldn't give a s**t either. So, again, I don't know where you're getting this trash thing from when, if it really bothered me, they wouldn't do it. They know it doesn't, so no big deal.

To answer this simply: do your friends know everything about you? My best friend and rommate knows the most about me, and there's still tons he does not know. If they don't have similar tastes in anime, why would I come out and tell them?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff