Sex Symbol

15,525 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Battle: KO 200
  • Conventioneer 300
sexysora
Morbid Gnome
Bishonen Hunter
Q: What do you think is the appeal of so-called American manga/anime, if any?
A: I don't see all that much appeal. I mean it's great in all but, the original is better in this case.

Since you are using these surveys for a report, I'd like to clarify some inaccurate information for you.

When this person says 'the original is better', they are basically saying that American animation is better.
America started drawing in a 'style commonly associated with the stereotypical Japanese cartoon'. The Japanese got the idea of animation from America.
~America started animation, the Japanese copied America and improved upon it, America is now copying Japan.

did you take a manga class (sorry you seem familiar)

Nope. Never have.
Q: What is your first impression of the anime/manga subculture?
A: At first I thought it was kinda odd, but as i watched more and more i started to like it more and more. Its addicting.

Q: Have you ever attended an anime convention or know what it's like?
A: No, yet i wish that someday i'll go to one.

Q: What do you think of the stereotype that anime fans are obsessive reclusives with a penchant for sex and violence?
A: I think its not true. That is a messed up reason for otaku people.

Q: Do you think anime/manga fans are somehow different from the Western comic fan? If so, why?
A: Yes. Because anime/manga seems more...different than any other comics.

Q: What do you think is the general appeal of anime and manga to Western fans?
A: Its made by japanese people, a whole new thing.

Q: Do you think Japanese culture itself is somehow integrally related to the appeal of anime and manga? In other words, what does Japan mean to anime/manga fans?
A: It shows it way of style in things. How they make their cartoons using regular type clothing like school uniforms.

A: Some people HATE american cartoons. Thinking it sucks compared to any japanese animation. Just because it is not made in japan does not mean it sucks.

Q: How can you explain the sometimes 'elitist' or 'purist' attitudes that some fans tend to develop?
A: n/a

Q: What does the word 'otaku' mean to you?
A. an anime fan who really enjoys anime.

Q: Do you have any thoughts about the future of the anime/manga subculture (i.e. how much it will grow, ect)?
A: I'm hoping it would not die out. It will soon develop into a whole new advance anime cartoon maybe in the future

A: Their faces, expressions, and emotions are highly emphasised... I see this as the creator's take on their character's situation. I think anime/manga is more creative than many American cartoons, because the characters are in-depth and thought-out than other ones. Also, the reader/viewer follows one/more character/s through their little life, and see how the character changes.

A: Yes, I went to AX2003 in Anaheim. It was a chaotic, furry, exciting place. Anime was everywhere. Cosplayers were doing normal, everyday things such as sitting in Starbucks, sitting and talking, sleeping, reading, and drawing in full costume. Merchandise was highly over-priced and the vendors gave you dirty looks when you picked something up to examine it. Cosplayers were posing for pictures everywhere, buyers were trying to catch the vendors' attention before other buyers did, there was much glomping, and everyone was just having a great time. I hope to go back this year. ^^

Q: What do you think of the stereotype that anime fans are obsessive reclusives with a penchant for sex and violence?
A: Because anime is targeted at teens, I think most manga/anime will have a little perviness. Afterall, we're discovering that the opposite gender (but not always the opposite ^^) is not the snotty, bratty little kids we used to know; they're hot! I don't think that watching a pervy anime will make teenagers want to go out and mimic what they've seen. Besides, they're just curious and that's a natural part of life. As for violence... I wouldn't know anything about that. I find violent anime very boring.

Q: Do you think anime/manga fans are somehow different from the Western comic fan? If so, why?
A: I would think so, because the Western comic fan is used to more realistic (well maybe not, have you seen the muscles on those superheroes?! If they weren't super, they'd fall over!) characters. Also, anime focuses on teens, whereas most Western comics have adult characters. I don't think Western comic fans are as creative as anime fans because the characters are realistic; the artists don't seem to have discovered that they ARE artists, and therefore can change the human body to look less like a human body and more bendable/willowy/elegant/childlike/whatever, whereas anime characters range from the cutesy baby style of Digi Charat to the elegant styles of RG Veda to the realistic-but-not-really style of Gravitation to the stocky bodied and high foreheaded style of Dragon Ball Z.

A: Western fans like anime? ^^;; Was not aware of this. Well, I think the creativity might entice Western fans. Magic superheroes instead of a science expirament gone wrong? Teenagers in giant robots saving planets instead of some badly-disguised guy flying around in underwear? "Sailor Moon" "Saint Tail" "Mew Ichigo" instead of "Spiderman" "Superman" "Batman"? Samurai and ninja? Cute, talking fluffy sidekicks? Schoolgirls?! I think Western fans are in for a treat! Also, anime touches every topic from parents divorcing (Marmalade Boy), rape (Yami no Matsuei), romance between odd couples (FAKE), lasting friendships between people you'd never think to be friends (Gensomaden Saiyuki), troubled relationships (Gravitation), death (Sailor Moon), coming-of-age situations (Kodocha), ambitions (Paradise Kiss), and many more.

Q: Do you think Japanese culture itself is somehow integrally related to the appeal of anime and manga? In other words, what does Japan mean to anime/manga fans?
A: I think Japan is a destination plan for many anime/manga fans. I hear so much Japanese thrown around every day (incorrectly used, mind you, but it's there) and the drawing on people's binders have the angular faces of Card Captor Sakura and Inu Yasha and the shoujo-style eyes of Peach Girl and Demon Diary. I think Japan is the object of envy among non-Japanese anime fans. We want to be Japanese. We want to be there.

A: I think the American manga/anime gives hope to aspiring anime artists. "Someday, MY doodles are going to be sitting in Borders between Saiyuki and Seven of Seven!!" I haven't read any American manga yet, but I think we'll be seeing much more of it. After all, we've seen the sudden explosion of Korean manga, haven't we?

Q: How can you explain the sometimes 'elitist' or 'purist' attitudes that some fans tend to develop?
A: An elitist is someone who does not accept mistranslations and changed phrases in manga, and does not accept dubbed anime. I, myself, am an elitist; I cannot stand the dubs of anime because the producers were trying to water it down for little kids instead of their true audience. I also get a little mad when titles are changed. "Demon Diary" is really "Diary of a Demon Lord" in Korean. "Eerie Queerie" made its debut in Japan as "Ghost". Some purists are just mean in the sense that their attitude is "If you don't know it sucks, then you are doomed to experience the suckiness forever." but some are okay (like me!) and our philosophy is "If you don't know it sucks, we are strapping you to this chair to watch fansubbed anime until you agree with us that 'Trey' is not an acceptable name for Horohoro from Shaman King!!".

A. The word 'otaku' means to me a person who likes anime/manga enough to have gotten on the internet to find more and learned enough Japanese to find that 'otaku' means 'nerd' and that it describes them. If you know what 'otaku' means, you are one. ^^ 'Otaku' is a curious person. After they've gotten more into anime/manga, they no longer call themselves 'otaku', but by the name of a character they've created. 'Otaku' is an entry-level anime obsesser.

Q: Do you have any thoughts about the future of the anime/manga subculture (i.e. how much it will grow, ect)?
A: I think the anime/manga subculture will continue to grow until all or most American cartoons are anime-style (we already have Teen Titans and Xaolin Showdown) and kids/teens will recognise more anime than what is just shown on censored television.

Thank you for the interview. ^^ It gave me something to do.
survey

Name: Kami

A: First impression? I got into anime about seven or eight years ago, right when things were starting to change. More and more anime was becoming available, and the subculture was starting to change. My first impression was that I was very isolated, weirdly enough. Nowadays, the culture appears really "fad-y." A lot of people seem to just be into it because it's "cool," and I think a lot of people take for granted that it's part of another culture.

A: Have I EVER. Anime cons are awesome! My favorite part about them is getting to meet tons of other fans and do some serious networking ^.^ The best part about being at a con is really the enthusiasm. Being in a room FULL of fans watching anime on a big screen is incredible. We all get into it so much! I always feel like I'm in another world when I'm at cons, and often, I don't want to leave it ^.^

A: I think it's a shame that it exists. It's just like saying that all blondes are stupid, or all black people eat fried chicken. It just isn't true. All anime fans have different tastes. I happen not to like excessive violence, but I do enjoy sex in anime. *shrugs* It all depends

A: Ummmmmmmm... well, if there is a difference, I think it's more a cultural thing. Anime and manga fans have a whole different language that's almost standing in the way of their understanding of it, a whole different culture, really. Because of that slight language/culture barrier, there's a whole different level to having anime and manga as a hobby. It takes real dedication to devote yourself to something from another country that takes that extra effort to understand.

A: Well, for me, it's the fact that it IS from a different culture that REALLY makes it interesting to me. I like listening to the Japanese track on the DVDs and hearing the language. I like picking out the distinctly Japanese things in the homes and lives of the characters. And I think it's more appealing because it DOES tend to tell a better story than Amercian cartoons do. In Japan, animation isn't just for young children. It's for everyone, and I think that makes it a LOT more accessible than American cartoons.

A: As I said above, I DO think that the culture is integral to the appeal of anime and manga. However, I do believe that a lot of newer anime and manga fans take for granted the fact that anime comes from Japan. I've actually talked to fans who can't seem to grasp the fact that the stuff that gets released here isn't made with American fans in mind. Anime and manga creators make anime and manga with Japanese people in mind first and foremost. If something isn't as popular in Japan as it happens to be in the U.S., there isn't going to be more of it (this is in response to people going "Why isn't there more Hellsing? Or Cowboy Bebop? Or Trigun?" wink

A: Hmm... I think its primarily fans who enjoy expressing themselves by immitating their favorite medium. Anime was inspired by American cartoons initially, so you could say that American "anime" and "manga" is just the whole process coming full circle.

A: Well, it's like with any fandom. All the fans think they're better than all the other fans ^.^;;; This fan has the shinier toys, or that one knows Japanese better, or that one's seen more, so stands to be a better expert. People just all think that somehow they're better than each other. I myself am actually quite elitist about things. I tend to not like dubs or translated manga. I know Japanese, so I prefer things in their original Japanese format so I can enjoy them on my own without a third party inbetween. And I tend to pick apart other peoples' translations. I'm kind of a jerk. ^.^;;;

A. It is a word that should NOT be used in Japan under ANY circumstances, since there it's quite an insulting term. It just amuses me that Americans use it to mean "fan." ^.^

A: Well... Hmm... I think anime and manga will continue to get bigger, but will gradually gain more and more "casual" fans. Hopefully the people who are only in it for the fad will come and go, but I think there will always been more fans to take their place. Like any other import, I think anime and manga are here to stay.
A: I thought it was foolish. There was an older girl I had grown to respect since I was very little who showed up at my house in a Sailor Moon t-shirt one day and I felt betrayed. How could anyone like something as stupid as cartoons when they were a senior in high school? I sometimes wonder if my younger self could see me know, what she'd think

A: I've attended one anime convention.

A: I think that every fandom has its dark side and its good side. I think, yes, somewhere out there there there are people like that. But I think the majority of anime fans are hardly sex-obsessed or violent. In fact I think anime's likely one of the more passive fandoms out there. I think most anime fans are more likely to suffer a heart attack than to die of some violent means.

A: I think anime/manga fans are different because there's an entirely different culture behind our fandom. For Western comic fans, it's okay to just collect the comics, but for someone to become an anime/manga fan, they tend to develop an interest in Japan as well. You see people all the time who have developed an interest behind anime and manga because of its influence. Anime fans try more oriental-based things because of their fandom. There's also more goods to collect out there. The rarity of the items increase, because the primary market for the goods is overseas.

A: I think most Western fans are attracted to it because there's a different flavor to it than American comics. Coming from a different background, there are a lot of interesting new ideas and concepts powering the creation. Anime/manga also focus on a wider range of things. You can go from reading a manga about football to an anime about the French revolution and still be able to call yourself an anime fan. There's a wider range of subjects and, thus, a wider range of interests is covered.

A: I think manga and anime have a strong influence from Japanese culture. Any writer or artist takes things first from the things that surround them. Even if it's just a particuarly Japanese movement or maybe an extra degree of politeness, there's still something Japanese in the most Western-style of Japanese comics. I think Japan for anime and manga fans is a bit idolized. We catch little glimpses of the culture through reading manga and watching anime that we want more. That's something that isn't there even when you read Western comics based in Japan(Wolverine's adventures in Japan weren't half as fascinating for me as your average shoujo manga based in Japan).

A: I think people like it because it mixes the anime style they like with things a little closer to home. The Death manga was whimsical and anime based in some respects, but it still had the flavor of the old Sandman comics. So it's ultimately the mixture of the two. Megatokyo is a fine example as it takes the small, slow feeling of anime and manga, with the crazy zing that it sometimes has, but incorporates Western humor in the situations.

A: I think when you've been in the fandom long enough, you think that you've risen above the newb-ness you're seeing less in yourself and more in others. I think it's the need to distinguish oneself from the Toonami-watching masses that a lot of fans act elite.

A. Well, at the moment, now that I've actually seen Japanese reel at the word. I think I want to avoid it. The feelings associated on either side with the word doesn't really appeal to me.

A: I think it'll eventually die down.
A: I thought it was very impressive. My older brother got me into anime/manga cuz he enjoyed it. I eventually started watching it too. I think that it is a sleek, interesting way of making animated stories. And is also something adults can enjoy too.

A: No matter how much I'd like to, I have never attended one. crying stressed

A: Anime/Manga was never meant for the young in the first place. Sex and violnce are part of everyday life. In many ways, you can connect sex as being the reasons for most of our actions in life. Sex is why some gamble, sex is why some drink, and sex is why we have babies. Violence is something no one can ignore. Putting these two things into a show just gives it more real life features.

A: Yes, cuz' Western comics are more young kid friendly and some connect more to real life than anime/manga does. The Western fans a somewhat more used to the "warm fuzzy" (more kid suitable with no sex, very little or no swearing, and not very violent violence) and the characters don't have as much unique qualities with much more normal everyday qualities you see in the guy across the street. Anime/manga fans get more hard core action and more adult themes (you know what I mean) and the characters are just more interesting.

A: The uniqueness. It is just so different and more appealling and offers more to the imagination. The characters in each show are all given different qualities and are given different unique roles in each story. Anime/manga also gives you morals and can give tells about every issue that we face today in real life in the stories, from love to rape to jail to war to friendship, etc.

A: I think that Japan is where many of the world's great shows/productions come from. We want to be part of that. They have that unique way of telling a story through animation that no one else will ever be able to beat. We just want to be part of all that.

A: I didn't even know that there is any American manga/anime!! xp xp Even if there wasn't any now, I wouldn't doubt that it wouln't have been tried here. We're trying to do what the Japanese can do.

A: I am one of the many people who don't like the anime dubs very much, because they're trying to bring it to a younger level. But there are times when I have compared the dubbed version to the original Japanese and see that in some spots, the dubbed makes more sense but that's very rare.

A. Otaku means to me a person who finds an anime/manga that they can connect to and starts to love it so much that they start to dedicate themselves to it to a degree and they expand their interests to other things revolving around it.

A: I think that anime/manga will grow and keep growing because of its total appeal to the universal public. Anime/manga does not represent one group of people or nationality. It represents all races, sexes, religions, etc. They make their animation to look like everybody or a mix of everybody. That makes it more universally appealing. It has the ability to connect to people, and it will continue to connect to people to the end of time itself.

Thanks a heep for doing this interview!! 3nodding I enjoyed doing it and it gave me the chance to tell someone what I believe! 3nodding

Good luck on the school project!! wink
A: very entertaining and creative heart

A: not yet

A: some fan are really like that wink but I believe that it's only the minority.

A: I think both are not different, it's just that they enjoy the differnt style of story telling and characters.

A: style differences

A: Im my opinion, anime & manga is a part of japanese culture

A: the mixed style is rather interesting smile

A: ---

A. ---

A: I think it'll grow a lot more, especilly in other countries.
A: I didn't really know much about it until a friend showed me some tapes..when I was younger I was a fan of DiC's Sailor Moon, though. When I got into it, it wasn't popular, at least not where I lived. I liked having something other people didn't, even if they did misjudge me from it.

A: No, but I'd like to. It sounds like an interesting experience..and a great excuse to wear frivolous clothing. whee

A: Some are, some aren't. It's unfair to generalize.

A: Not really..but it really depends on the individual more than anything.

A: I think it's different for everyone..but here are some of my guesses:
-Unlike many Western animated shows, most Japanese anime is more easily appreciated by a wide age group.
-Many people are drawn to the cultural elements
-Many series have beautiful artwork
-Plots tend to be thicker than those of most Western series (though not always)

A: I think it's natural to be drawn towards other cultures. These elements, when left uncut by translation teams, can help introduce viewers/readers to Japan's culture. By no means will you get a full view through anime and manga alone, but it's a great place to get started. Also, on a slightly related note, I find it interesting when a series takes place in a Western culture, to see their perception of life in the West. Many fans think Japan is perfect. It's not. It's just..different. For the most part though, I find it appealing.

A: Anime just means animation...but assuming you mean shows like Teen Titans...For fans, by fans, I suppose. I think it's fine to take influence from other artists as long as you're not just trying to copy another artist-art is, after all, about self-expression. (I'm not excluding Japan from this either- I like seeing the uniqueness of different artists!)Some of these things in this category, however, just seem to be blatantly cashing in on anime/manga's newfound Western popularity and have nothing unique.

A: A lot of people don't want to watch Westernized programs or read Westernized manga, myself being one of them. For me, I want to know the author's real words, not the words of a translation team that more often than not only cares about profit. I think it's great to be exposed to another culture, and that Westernization on these only adds to most Westerners' misconceptions of Japan.

A. Psycho, rapist, stalker, serial killer. It originated as a polite term for "you" or "your house", but in recent years has gone way downhill and now refers to a person so obsessed with their hobby that they do not leave their -house- and are usually criminally ill.

A: More Westerners are getting exposed to it as time goes on..only time can tell if it'll be just a fad to the West or not.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff