Welcome to Gaia! ::

5,600 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Person of Interest 200
i really do love spirited away and howl's moving castle he makes some of the best movies of all time

Magical Fairy

20,300 Points
  • Caroling Champ 100
  • Snowball Hero 200
  • Frozen Solid 200
MooMooJuice
I'm still kinda shocked about the Yuna part.

Mainly because Yuna is the name of a rather famous (and innocent) FF character...

Yuna's name in FF is spelled with katakana (ユウナ)

The word "yuna" meaning a woman who services men at bathhouses is spelled 湯女.

The meaning changes when you change the kanji. For example, the Jpop singer Yuna Ito's name is spelled 由奈, which means "what reason".

Timid Defender

9,200 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
I alwayed love this movie, And now that i look at it...I see what you are saying, and you know what...honestly it realy dose not suprise me...thares a lot out thare thats like that..but you dont think about it when you watch it.

Dapper Explorer

Miss-dark8607
Crepe Aux Fraises

The first article was written by a Japanese film critic if you actually bothered to click on it and read it all the way through to the bottom. The west had absolutely nothing to do with these two articles.

Lovely attitude. rolleyes So what about the second one then also how do you know? Both articles are purely opinion anyways. They aren't from any reliable source and ANYONE could have wrote those. Hell with your attitude maybe you wrote them which is why you are getting all butt hurt now.

OH and I guess since you are new or whatever I do tend to read and quite well thank you very much. However, I guess I have better common sense and critical thinking skills than MOST people. Maybe you should work on that instead of believing it any little thing you come across and getting all upset because others don't.

Excuse me, but I am not new. I am merely just a mule account.

Also, I'm sorry, but what does critical thinking have to do with any of this? I have just about a decent critical thinking skill as anyone else, or else I wouldn't have gotten As on my university English papers. Thanks for assuming I don't have any critical thinking skills at all when I do.

I did not write any of those articles. I don't even run those sites nor do I even know how to operate a blog in the first place. Once again, thanks for assuming. :/

Furthermore, even if it's not true that the movie is about prostitution, the word yuna IS used in the Japanese version of the movie if you've also watched that and not just the English dub, and written with the kanji 湯女, it means "a woman who services men at bath houses, which includes washing and sexual favors". Now why would the women workers in the bathhouses in Spirited Away be called 湯女 if they're not giving the male deities any "sexual favors?"

And I wasn't giving attitude. :/ I was just merely correcting you that the first article was written by a Japanese film critic because you clearly assumed that both articles were "western over conceptualization" of the movie. You're the one who just perceived me to be.

Dapper Explorer

0 Princess Moon 0
I alwayed love this movie, And now that i look at it...I see what you are saying, and you know what...honestly it realy dose not suprise me...thares a lot out thare thats like that..but you dont think about it when you watch it.

Have you read the speculation that My Neighbor Totoro is based on the Sayama incident (aka a murder case that took place in Sayama, Japan, the same location in which the movie setting took place in)? Although Studio Ghibli denied the claims, it's still an interesting read and it makes you wonder if it really was based off of the Sayama incident or not due to some similarities between the incident and the movie.
Crepe Aux Fraises
Miss-dark8607
Crepe Aux Fraises

The first article was written by a Japanese film critic if you actually bothered to click on it and read it all the way through to the bottom. The west had absolutely nothing to do with these two articles.

Lovely attitude. rolleyes So what about the second one then also how do you know? Both articles are purely opinion anyways. They aren't from any reliable source and ANYONE could have wrote those. Hell with your attitude maybe you wrote them which is why you are getting all butt hurt now.

OH and I guess since you are new or whatever I do tend to read and quite well thank you very much. However, I guess I have better common sense and critical thinking skills than MOST people. Maybe you should work on that instead of believing it any little thing you come across and getting all upset because others don't.

Also, I'm sorry, but what does critical thinking have to do with any of this? I have just about a decent critical thinking skill as anyone else, or else I wouldn't have gotten As on my university English papers. Thanks for assuming I don't have any critical thinking skills at all when I do.

I did not write any of those articles. I don't even run those sites nor do I even know how to operate a blog in the first place. Once again, thanks for assuming. :/

Furthermore, even if it's not true that the movie is about prostitution, the word yuna IS used in the Japanese version of the movie if you've also watched that and not just the English dub, and written with the kanji 湯女, it means "a woman who services men at bath houses, which includes washing and sexual favors". Now why would the women workers in the bathhouses in Spirited Away be called 湯女 if they're not giving the male deities any "sexual favors?"

And I wasn't giving attitude. :/ I was just merely correcting you that the first article was written by a Japanese film critic because you clearly assumed that both articles were "western over conceptualization" of the movie. You're the one who just perceived me to be.

The official job of Yuna 湯女 was to mainly scrub the backs of customers, not to provide sexual favors. That was done after hours, away for the bathhouse, and not all Yuna did it. The bathhouse in the movie is actually similar to the ones that popped up after the Tokugawa shogunate banned Yuna from bathhouses. These bathhouses featured second stories, where customers can socialize and drink tea. Some ex-yuna took jobs serving tea, and entertaining customers with musical performances or conversation.

Fluffy Creature

Crepe Aux Fraises
0 Princess Moon 0

Have you read the speculation that My Neighbor Totoro is based on the Sayama incident (aka a murder case that took place in Sayama, Japan, the same location in which the movie setting took place in)? Although Studio Ghibli denied the claims, it's still an interesting read and it makes you wonder if it really was based off of the Sayama incident or not due to some similarities between the incident and the movie.

The main tenet of that theory is that the spirits are shinigami instead of nature spirits (despite all of the nature imagery), and that Satsuki died upon entering the catbus and Mei died when running away. But this ignores that after the catbus drops them off at home, they run into granny and Kanta and talk to them as the credits song begins. And the credits. And the existence of a sequel short in the Ghibli Museum in which Mei (alive and well) has fun with a kittenbus. The part about the girl seeing a cat and totoro-like creature hasn't been confirmed by any source not promoting the theory.

Dapper Ladykiller

Crepe Aux Fraises
0 Princess Moon 0

Yeah. It seemed like a stretch, but it was interesting.

I have no doubt Miyazaki made Spirited Away for little girls. So, it makes sense to reference a problem young girls face. The pressure to grow up too quickly, with self-respect put on the back burner. Prostitution is a metaphor here, it's not literally what the movie's about. At least, that's my humble take on it.

Invisible Phantom

8,400 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Mark Twain 100
Wait, that's what Yuna means in Japanese?
I used to think of it as a really pretty name...and Yuna from FF10 is awesome...
D:

Spirited Away sounds interesting, though, might watch it x3

Dangerous Visionary

Crepe Aux Fraises

And you are assuming what you have read from these blogs are true. Again how do you know the author is really Japanese. I see people on Gaia using Japanese names all the time and most of the time they aren't even any type of Asian. I feel its just common sense not to just readily believe every little thing you see online. None of the article list any credible sources, or anything that makes me believe they are legit. They are just OPINION PIECES! So yeah before you correct make sure you're own facts are correct. Oh and getting A's on paper don't mean anything. I get A's on my ESL tests all the time and I know my English is still bad.

Maybe you shouldn't start threads like this if you aren't open to different opinions. If you want to believe two poorly written blogs be my guest but I for one don't believe either blog. That is all I'm trying to say as its been noted on my creditable places that HM wasn't talking about whores but just trying to create a Heroin young girls could look up too.

Devoted Miko

Aside from having my childhood ruined, it doesn't really surprise me. Family-friendly stuff tends to have undercurrents of adult themes. Ever watched the musical Gigi? Again, subtley centered around prostitution.
not too mindblowing

all his films make it pretty clear how much he hates the modern world

Friendly Citizen

5,400 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Contributor 150
You know that Totoro is a story about a child that was murdered, google it, it's more strange then the spirit away prostitution connection.

Man-Hungry Man-Lover

20,950 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Gender Swap 100
makes sense to me smile

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items