Welcome to Gaia! ::

Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou wonders this as well...

"Come to think of it, magical girls are always girls and never guys, right?"

"That's why they call them magical girls!"

"I wouldn't mind some magical boys. Even if there was a magical high school boy!"

"Wasn't there that Something-Potter guy? He's a magical high school boy."

"When you put it that way it kind of ruins it."

"Potter's probably some guy locked in his room, lazing around and wearing panties on his head."

"No he isn't!"

"I'm sure he does!"

Dangerous Visionary

ChibiLady18
lets not forget about the Sailor Starlights... I think that's what they were called. Boys who went to school with Sailor moon in season 5 but transformed into magical girls.

They were cross-dressing females as per word of author. Of course different countries changed things around but the Starlights were completely female in the original as only females could be pretty soldiers.

Lupine Spirit

14,950 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Team Jacob 100
Miss-dark8607
ChibiLady18
lets not forget about the Sailor Starlights... I think that's what they were called. Boys who went to school with Sailor moon in season 5 but transformed into magical girls.

They were cross-dressing females as per word of author. Of course different countries changed things around but the Starlights were completely female in the original as only females could be pretty soldiers.
I thought the anime implied they did change genders even if in the manga they were really girls all the time. granted, I've only seen the final season of the anime once (I lost touch of the friend I knew who had fansubs of it when I had a bad falling out with his cousin, who was also a friend of mine for a while there), but I do seem to remember in the anime when they transformed they did gain stuff in the chest area they were missing before. it also isn't uncommon for there to be some deviations in canon between an original manga and its anime adaption.

Dangerous Visionary

Mugetsu Ookamiza
Miss-dark8607
ChibiLady18

I thought the anime implied they did change genders even if in the manga they were really girls all the time. granted, I've only seen the final season of the anime once (I lost touch of the friend I knew who had fansubs of it when I had a bad falling out with his cousin, who was also a friend of mine for a while there), but I do seem to remember in the anime when they transformed they did gain stuff in the chest area they were missing before. it also isn't uncommon for there to be some deviations in canon between an original manga and its anime adaption.

Like you I only seen it once but yeah in the anime they go from male to females (which upset the author) Some versions of Sailor Moon even made it so the Starlights called their "cousins" to fight. So the transformation scenes were removed and those character had two different VA's male and female. Just so the dubbing companies could get around the whole cross dressing stuff. (I think most of the Middle East did that since crossing dress is heavily frown on)

We totally need an uncut pure edition of Sailor Moon stars in the US.

Lupine Spirit

14,950 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Team Jacob 100
Miss-dark8607
Mugetsu Ookamiza
Miss-dark8607
ChibiLady18

Like you I only seen it once but yeah in the anime they go from male to females (which upset the author) Some versions of Sailor Moon even made it so the Starlights called their "cousins" to fight. So the transformation scenes were removed and those character had two different VA's male and female. Just so the dubbing companies could get around the whole cross dressing stuff. (I think most of the Middle East did that since crossing dress is heavily frown on)

We totally need an uncut pure edition of Sailor Moon stars in the US.
yeah, I've heard of some of the stuff that's been done in the process of localizing that (and a few other series) in some countries (of course, depending on how popular the title in question in or how lulzy it was like the Filipino dub of Yu Yu Hakusho which from what I heard could be almost as lulzy as the bootlegs of YYH).

and, yeah, we need that. especially since the closest we came to getting it was a bootleg set that for a brief while was sold on Amazon (first as an "Official Set" then as an "Official Bootleg Set" before they stopped offering it firsthand - gods, that was kind of lulzy when that happened).

Sparkly Warlord

17,300 Points
  • 20 Wins 100
  • 50 Wins 150
HydeBeserker
I don't have a way with words so I'll apologize in advance.

I wish to ask your thoughts and feelings on magical males in correspondence to the magical girl trope.
I don't think they would look good in the skirts.
Istoleyourtaco
HydeBeserker
I don't have a way with words so I'll apologize in advance.

I wish to ask your thoughts and feelings on magical males in correspondence to the magical girl trope.
I don't think they would look good in the skirts.
They don't have to? Neither do the women really. It's never fully explained why they can't edit their outfits. or even why their outfits consist of something as impractical as skirts.
I am The Compendium
HydeBeserker

Apparently women are the target audience.

Because they like rainbows?

How is that relevant? How is that proof?

Am I bad at English or did you just misinterpret that... I said "apparently" implying I disbelieved it was aimed at women.
I'd believed it was aimed at women on behalf of men. For example: "Dress like this, pose like that, never overshadow a male, buy this, talk like that, don't think anything of how we're reducing the amount of clothing you wear little by little" and so forth... Man writing that I remembered that episode of the Simpsons about the Malibu Stacey doll.
either way if it were a male thrusting his glittery crotch at the screen I wouldn't think it was for the "male demographic".
... I'm starting to wonder whether or not I should bring up the topic of conditioning but that's something for extended discussion I think.

5,900 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Mugetsu Ookamiza

See how lack of research makes you think backwards?
except the magical girl genre goes back to stuff like Sally the Witch ('66) and Princess Knight ('53). whereas the sentai-style magical girl stuff started with Sailor Moon back in '91, with Cutey Honey being the title that popularized the action subtype of the genre about 2 decades before that. so while you could say that sentai shows gave rise to Sailor Moon and the subgenre of the magical girl genre it spawned it's false to say that sentai works are the reason the magical girl genre came about.

Actually, no. Sailormoon popularized it. While Cutey honey and Sally were predecessors, they didn't hit the market or pop culture as hard.

I can easily say a fact. If there weren't predominantly male shows, there wouldn't be the counter-part of female shows.

Familiar Friend

7,900 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Full closet 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
DarknessofHeavenandDreams

except the magical girl genre goes back to stuff like Sally the Witch ('66) and Princess Knight ('53). whereas the sentai-style magical girl stuff started with Sailor Moon back in '91, with Cutey Honey being the title that popularized the action subtype of the genre about 2 decades before that. so while you could say that sentai shows gave rise to Sailor Moon and the subgenre of the magical girl genre it spawned it's false to say that sentai works are the reason the magical girl genre came about.

Actually, no. Sailormoon popularized it. While Cutey honey and Sally were predecessors, they didn't hit the market or pop culture as hard.

I can easily say a fact. If there weren't predominantly male shows, there wouldn't be the counter-part of female shows.
WHy is this ^ in my side of the quote box?

This.

Oh GAWD YES, this.

Sombody else with some gawddamn _history_ on them... Or is my HistoAnthro-nerd talking over my Old School Otaku again?

Tipsy Lunatic

8,000 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet, but the character Ayumu Aikawa from Kore Wa Zombie, Desu Ka? may be regarded as a magical girl. At least, there is magical costume transformation involved, however it's more of a comedy because of him becoming a cross-dresser...
Check it out:

Dapper Ladykiller

Lazarus Larkin
User Image

SASSOU TOUJOU

GINGA BISHOUNEN!

(sorry about the gigantic .gif but Star Driver is fabulous)

YES. Also, Saint Seiya.

Lonely Sailor

9,850 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
I recently finished watching Kore Wa Zombie Desu Ka and if you haven't seen it lemme say one thing the main character (a male) is a zombie AND a Magical Garment Girl. Its weird because he gets the whole transform scene the mini skirt you know magical girls stuff but he's still a man so it looks really funny. I don't feel too comfy seeing a guys man junk hanging out of a mini skirt XD
But guys can be magical I guess I have no problem with it. I just think it might be hard for them to come up with a decent story line for it. I'm having issues thinking of guys as magical. Maybe thats just how the anime manga world works. But if a magical guy series came out I'd sure as hell watch it. :3

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff