Welcome to Gaia! ::

what do you think about american cartoons?

Total Votes:[ 0 ]
This poll closed on December 29, 2004.
No longer accepting new votes.
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

7,200 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Quote:
Tell me what you think...personally i think they are crap!!!!!! japanese animation is the best you can get.don't you think?well anyway you can talk to....if...you want.

Older stuff like Batman, Looney Toons, Tiny Toon Adventures, The Tick, etc, was really well done...and pretty funny. But don't look for stunning graphics there. Cartoons were originally just for entertainment (comedy). Batman is one of the only american cartoons that I know of that is mostly a drama.
Quote:
Personally, I loath everything that those brain-rotting contraptions put out. [Televisions that is.] I don't exactly like anime. [Yes, I'm aware that the "wotefuh cute little character people" on these forums are anime-style, don't make me stab you.]

I wasn't gonna ask that so much as, uh, why do you have a Jiraiya banner in your sig?
American cartoons were originally created and broadcasted for the entertainment of children. And they did just that. Cartoonists used elements like giving human characteristics to animals and other inanimate objects. Storylines were funny, and funny in the most basic ways: ways that small children could understand. (Walt Disney is the prime example)
Even when it's not directed toward little kids, cartoons are still supposed to be funny, or have humorous points: i.e.: The Simpsons, King of the Hill, and most importantly: Beavis & Butt Head.

Japenese Anime, however, is completely different. Whether directed toward children or adults (usually children), they are animated versions of mixed concepts that Americans have been doing the live-action versions of for a long time: Either soap-operas or sci-fi, mostly sci-fi. The only two examples that pop into my head right now are Dragon Ball Z and Gundam Wing. Anyway, they would be just as good if not better in they were made into live-action.

As for realisticy: Anime sucks. In old American cartoons, and even the newer ones, the characters would act and pose as people would. When they talked, they would move. -Not actually move about the room, but they would turn their heads or "talk with their hands", or they would be moving in some other small way. Same thing when they walked: (If you want and example of this, watch any episode of Scooby Doo) the characters would move their heads, swing their arms, and act as people do when they're walking.
And for the Anime side: When anime characters walk and talk, they keep their poses. Their hands stay in the same place, and their heads never move and inch from side to side. Their facial expressions are also noexistant most of the time. (the little stress mark on the forehead doesn't really count as a facial expression. It only serves to inform the viewer that the character is stressed or mad or something)

My oppinion: We should just go on ahead and turn every Anime cartoon into either a soap-opera or a sci-fi series.

Yet another topic: Cartoon Netword used to show all of the good old American cartoons. That has been greatly reduced, now since Anime is on more than half the time.
Fortunately, somebody was smart enough to dedicate a whole channel (Boomerang, or just Bam) to the old American cartoons.
Why don't they just scrap Cartoon Network, play the American cartoons on Boomerang, and create a whole new channel just for anime?
Quote:
Tell me what you think...personally i think they are crap!!!!!! japanese animation is the best you can get.don't you think?well anyway you can talk to....if...you want.

Well, I really LOVE anime, but there are things like 80's cartoons, which were very good, and most were made in america!

I just think MOST of the ones that are made nowadays are kinda dumb (lol, although I do like power puff girls! sweatdrop )
This is completely retarded. I used to be in this huge "OHMIGOD ANIME FOREVER!!! LOLZ I'M SO JAPANESEEEEE =^___^=" stage, and looking back on it, I want to fscking shoot myself in the head.

Anime is great. Anime is awesome. American cartoons are great. American cartoons are just as awesome. They both have their good points and their bad points. They can both be creative. They can both be hilarious. They are all entertaining.

This is kind of like... cartoon racisism. XD
They are crappy. I'm sorry to all of you who like them, but I just think that the animation, story, plot, charaters, everything is better Japanese. I don't know what it is, I mean, I grew up with them, but maybe its just that, I grew UP with them. Now that I'm a teen I need more mature stuff to watch, than the American cartoons that I have known sice I was five. Meh, that's just me though.
I think point of origin is irrelevant when deciding which cartoon is "better". Animation is just art and some people might like one style better than the other but that doesn't mean one is ultimately superior. I think American cartoons could have an equal opportunity to be just as well loved as Japanese anime if it weren't for this corporate attitude about them and this insane idea here that cartoons are for children. Quality in the story developement is being sacrificed to meet some deadline or to make some money-minded corporate b*****d happy. And unfortunately these are the majority of what is to be distributed to the public and give everybody this idea that all American animation is terrible. I refuse to believe that in an entire country we are somehow devoid of the creativity which people claim that only Japanese have.
keep in mind how much Anime there is made... and how many american cartoons are made. The main difference is that cartoons in Japan are focused towards adults while they are often only for children here.

There are some really good cartoons around.. but most of them focus towards younger people.

damn I miss 80s cartoons sad
Aren't we a japanophile.
In terms of storyline, effects, and animation itself, Japanese animation wins hands down. However, to be fair, I'll argue that Japanese animation and American animation are pretty much in two different genres. Sure, there are some crappy American cartoons, but there are a lot of funny classics-Looney Tunes, for example. In the end, it all comes down to opinion, but I wouldn't count all American animation out.
Duuude, Ren and Stimpy kick anime a** any day.
They suck, they never make anything serious, only strangely animated comedies...
I think American cartoons have really gone downhill lately. I'm talking about the ones made for TV, not necessarily movie cartoons. I see commercials for some of this stuff and really just don't get it. Maybe it's that I've grown too old to appreciate cartoons meant for kids, but I used to love watching Rin and Stimpy, Animaniacs and those sorts of shows. Heck, I still watch the Simpsons. I don't really think you can compare it with Japanese animation, though. American cartoons are always meant to be funny, and almost always for a young audience. Anime can be any genre and for any age group. Generally I like the artwork in anime more, though. It's just a style preference.
There is SO MUCH crappy anime.
The same can be said for american animation.
I like some anime, and some american.
People who claim all anime is better than american have obviously never seen Megas XLR or any of the Dragon Balls
Quote:
they are meh....not really good... japenesse is best wink

Agreed.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out