Welcome to Gaia! ::

Is avatar and the legend of korra considered an anime or cartoon? there has always been a debate about this. It seems like an anime to me because the plot and pictures are a bit more mature. but then again it's put out on cartoon network and isn't considered adult swim. I think it's an anime but sometimes I still get confused. what do you think?

Shy Sweetheart

They're both animated series, does it really matter what term we us to describe it?
StrangelySilentSoul
They're both animated series, does it really matter what term we us to describe it?

I mean japanese anime. there's japanese and american
Why does it matter? Does being an anime instantly make it a better show?

Anyway when most people talk about anime they mean an animated show that was made in Japan Avatar is an American show and not japanese so in that sense it's not an anime. However like I already said asked does that m after? Does it make you hate the show more if it's an American cartoon?
Fire_Sorceress_Phoanexa
StrangelySilentSoul

You know that America and Japan are not the only countries that make animated shows. There are French cartoons, Italian cartoons, German, Korean, and many many other countries cartoons out there as well. It's not just America and Japan.

Though in avatar's case it was made in America.
Creativerealms
Fire_Sorceress_Phoanexa
StrangelySilentSoul

You know that America and Japan are not the only countries that make animated shows. There are French cartoons, Italian cartoons, German, Korean, and many many other countries cartoons out there as well. It's not just America and Japan.

Though in avatar's case it was made in America.

thanks for this info. I never thought of other countries too, i feel lame. sweatdrop

Humorist

16,800 Points
  • Knife Club Lifetime Membership 0
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Fire_Sorceress_Phoanexa

thanks for this info. I never thought of other countries too, i feel lame. sweatdrop

wink You shouldn't feel lame. Most shows with the exception of actual anime, aren't marketed as from other countries. Avatar is a conundrum. A detailed running story isn't standard for US shows.and it's creators specifically sought an Asian theme for this series.

Enduring Gaian

In English, "anime" is usually the term reserved for animated cartoons, be the for television or film, that are made in Japan. Cartoon is a term commonly used for all animated productions that are made everywhere else.

AtLA is common referred to as an American cartoon, with an anime-inspired artistic style.

6,150 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Autobiographer 200
Personally, I think Avatar: the Legend of Korra IS an "Anime" because:

1. there's the Exaggerated facial expressions, which is very Common in Japanese Animation.

and

2. the Animation and plot looks like that of a Japanese Animation TV show.

But that's just me. wink

Shameless Ladykiller

12,100 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Invisibility 100
  • Flatterer 200
If you want to get technical:
Taken from the Wikipedia page, here
Anime are Japanese animated productions featuring hand-drawn or computer animation.
Or if you prefer Merriam-Webster, here:
a style of animation originating in Japan that is characterized by stark colorful graphics depicting vibrant characters in action-filled plots often with fantastic or futuristic themes

That would make A:tLA/LoK a cartoon with anime-esque influences, as they are American.User Image

Collecting [lite] fish. Send me some?

Distinct Lunatic

4,000 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Brandisher 100
Fire_Sorceress_Phoanexa
StrangelySilentSoul

Anime is a shoterend term for Animation/Animated.

It's used solely to describe Japanese cartoons.
"Anime is just Japanese cartoons,"

I forgot who said this, but I always think about that quote when it comes to this. Technically, the word anime is adapted from the American word "animation", so in my opinion the series could be either.

A note to keep in mind: Some friends of mine lean towards the mindset that if it was made in Japan and that the original dub is Japanese, then it's considered anime. Otherwise, it's just a cartoon. So I suppose that makes sense as well.
I find it funny that you consider it Anime because of a supposed "Maturity."

I just always get a giggle out of the idea that Anime is somehow more adult or mature.

Because if you suggest that Anime is childish to an Anime fan, they will always point to TWO themes without fail, to prove how mature it is.

Sexuality and violence.

Truly the mark of maturity.

Quite frankly, most Anime I have encountered is only "Mature" in so far as it breaks the "Not appropriate for children under 11." barrier.

Not mature in say... The way that the works of Nietzsche, or Tolstoy are for an adult audience.

Unholy Saint

22,250 Points
  • Team Peyo 25
  • Lovingly Advice 25
  • Robotic Advice 200
There's another thread about this. I already posted my answer there. Here's the link to my post.

And it's on Nickelodeon, not Cartoon Network.

Adventuring Duck

Well, it depends on your definition of anime.

Do you mean anime as in the Japanese word that means "animation?" Then, yes- The Avatar Franchise is anime. But, if you use this reasoning, so is Animaniacs, Finding Nemo, and Regular Show.

Now if you mean anime as in cartoons from Japan, then no, it is not an anime. It hails from the United States.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff