Welcome to Gaia! ::

Desirable Guildsman

14,825 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Invisibility 100
  • Signature Look 250
User Image

User ImageUser Image
Your step echoes on the shining floor of an open-air banquet hall, with hundreds of white-washed marble pillars and high, vaulted ceilings. Torches and tall oil lamps blaze between every pillar. In the distance, you see the velvet blue evening sky sprinkled with constellations, figures and heroes who have long left the world. The scent of dark earth and dew drifts on a breeze. Nearer, smells of sweetmeats, dough, and ripe fruits hover like incense from on top of long wooden tables; overflowing with rich foods, wines, and honey, they never seem to diminish.

Beneath a royal purple canopy, at the far end of the banquet table, rest two large wooden chairs. One is draped with exotic furs. The other is smooth-carved and unadorned. Two lamps blaze at either side. This is where the gods sit.

There is a tremor of movement in the distance, carried on the earthy breeze. Some of the stars twinkle and move. As your gaze fixes, you see that the stars are actually torches and lamps, carried by a party of merrymakers. As they approach, the music heightens, ringing with the sound of flutes, harps, and chimes, accented with laughter.

The party draws nearer, and you can now see distinct figures: wild-haired maidens with shreds of leaves still clinging to them, willow-limb dryads chased by homely and stumpy satyrs, and youths bearing goblets of mead and wine.

Among them, two figures stand out. One, youthful and lean, with a crown of curls and ivy. He is draped in furs and carries a shepherd's staff but his skin is tawny and his demeanor princely. The other is a strong-shouldered woman, tall but of substance. She is dressed in rushes. Her eyes are large and brown.

The crowd ascends into the banquet hall, now quieting. Each figure takes his or her place at the table. Dionysus, son of Zeus, and Demeter the Grain-mother are last to enter. They approach the purple canopy in silence. Stand shoulder to shoulder.

The Celebration is beginning . . .

User Image

The Gaia Annual Ball is a user run event held every summer and planed, funded, operated, and hosted by Gaia users just like you!

Each year has a particular theme, and within the larger theme, there are individual rooms that are divided into more precise themes. This is The Celebration, the haven of Demeter and Dionysus, the ritual gods of the harvest.

We have lots of goodies in store for you here. In addition to role playing in a fully interactive plot, there are games, contests, and art galore! This event begins on July the 10th and culminates in an all-encompassing finale on the 13th!

So won't you join us? Help us make The Celebration the best room in this year's Annual Ball!

Your hosts,
Dionysus & Demeter

Desirable Guildsman

14,825 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Invisibility 100
  • Signature Look 250
User Image

User ImageUser Image
1. Listen to and obey the hosts and co-hosts when they say something to you.
2. Be respectful to all.
3. Follow all of Gaia TOS.
4. NO SPAM. We dislike that here, and the gods will not take lightly to spam.
5. STAY ON TOPIC. The gods can not stress that enough. Any posts off topic will be erased.
6. We reserve the right to update the rules at any time.

Desirable Guildsman

14,825 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Invisibility 100
  • Signature Look 250
User Image
User Image
User Image

Hosts:

Epcot Illuminations
as
D i o n y s u s

I am honored to be chosen again to be room host this ball (this is my 3rd ball). Please call me Epcot or illuminations, or EP, I won't talk about my real life self, partly because when I wrote this, I had to write it quick. I am a fan of Disney and always will be.

I hope you guys enjoy yourselves here at the 8th annual ball and hope to see you here next year as well. Remember to have fun and that the Gods and Goddesses are here to help you as well. Do not be intimidated.

Have fun and relax, that is what Gaia is about.

GreenInkling
as
D e m e t e r

I am honored to be one of your hosts of this year's 8th Annual User Run Ball. People call me Green, Inky, Ink, or any variation of those. As long as it is clear that you are talking to me, I will answer to it!

In real life, I am a newly married twenty-something, with two degrees in English. I could be called an eccentric hobbyist, with interests ranging from J.R.R. Tolkien, Wales, writing poetry, Scandinavian crafts, and Catholic apologetics to Sailor Moon, role-playing, Japanese pop culture, Tang Soo Do, and drawing anime. You can image that the two polar crowds don't often interact with each other, and friends and acquaintances from one hobby can't understand my interest in the others!

I have been a Gaia member since January of 2006 and can usually be found role-playing, hanging out in chat threads with friends, or in the religious discussions and poetry sub-forums. I recently set up a newly furnished mini shop for avi art. Also, I have a terrible case of avatar ADD and spend half of my time on Gaia in the avatar changing room. Oh, and I like sets. I don't care if they're lame. They match for a reason! ^^;

Please enjoy your time in The Celebration room and in the 8th Annual Ball as a whole. Cut loose, relax, get creative, and make friends. After all, this is what Gaia was originally created for. This is what Gaia is all about!

Co-hosts:

lilchibiusa
as
A r i a d n e

Hi! I'm lilchibiusa, but most people call me Chibi. I have participated in small scale roleplays in the past, but this is my first year participating in an Annual Ball. My good friend, GreenInkling, recruited me to help, and I have really enjoyed the preparations for this event. I'm looking forward to having a great time with all of you, and I know that this room is going to be lots of fun!

In real life, I am a 24-year-old girl who just graduated with a BA in English and who is currently looking for a job. If you are wondering why it took so long for me to graduate, I used to be an Education major. I am a fan of most animes and mangas that I have come across, but my favorites are Sailor Moon, Code Geass, .hack//SIGN, Vampire Knight, and Elfin Lied. I am a huge fan of the video games Kingdom Hearts, Legend of Zelda, Harvest Moon, and Katamari Damacy. I also love J-Drama series such as Gokusen, Hana Yori Dango, and Hanazakari no Kimitachi e. Aside from my more geeky hobbies, I also love reading fantasy and sci-fi novels as well as the classics. Additionally, I have recentally become obsessed with knitting. I guess you could call me a jack of all trades and master of none.

I joined Gaia in March of 2005, and I have been in love with it ever since. I am the owner of two guilds, Vetus Gaianus and Anime & Manga Club. I am also a regular at the Band of Sisters hangout thread in the charity/quests subforum. I am a very amiable person, and I enjoy talking with just about everyone I meet.

Thank you for taking the time to read about me! I'm sure that we'll have a great time together, so let's get into character and let this story begin!

Desirable Guildsman

14,825 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Invisibility 100
  • Signature Look 250

User Image

(side bar images)

User ImageUser Image

Plot updates:

To See Plot Updates go to the following link corresponding to the day
Day 1 (7/23/10)
Day 2 (7/24/10)
Days 3 and 4

Desirable Guildsman

14,825 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Invisibility 100
  • Signature Look 250
User Image

User Image
User Image

The Quest for Persephone's Teardrops
link to the riddle contest: Click here
Link to the answers for the riddles: Click here

Greek Myth Crossword Puzzle

Try your hardest at these puzzles, as they will not be easy. You will have to think a while, and the internet won't help you much. So be careful. This is an activity.
To go to the crossword puzzle: Click here

Ariadne's Labyrinth
Description and rules are in the thread. The posts for this contest must stay in that thread. Click here
Celebration Room Avatar Contest

This is the most highlighted contest each year. All the rooms have this contest. The winners from both the Men and women will move on to try to be mr. and mrs. annual ball. Besides getting to move on, you will get prizes from this room.
1st place (for both men and women): July 2010 thank you letter
2nd place (for both men and women): ROck puppy
3rd place (if more than 4 people enter on each side): 10k
Winners of the tektek contest are as follows.

For male Tekteks:
1st place: Mimikai-_-13

For the Girl tekteks
1st place: fozieferret
2nd place: flameingviolet5
3rd place: Maury639

Congrats to the winners. The 1st place will be sent to go be in the main contest with the same tekteks they used here.

Other Activities

Art Thread

This is an art exchange thread. Come to chat about your interests, the Ball plot, make friends, give art, gift art, and have a good time! If you're lucky, a good spirit may gift you with an avatar portrait!
Link to this activity: Click here

other stuff:
User Image I'm getting as far away from this ball as I can
I'm off into the wild, to a place where hunting is on ban
I'll run free with the critters there
While you romp around in nature, hopefully getting quite a scare.

Desirable Guildsman

14,825 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Invisibility 100
  • Signature Look 250
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image

User Image
WhiteCastlesCOmeback
kyleealexisxo
phantomfreak91

User Image
Teacup Ghost
JeazyCreazy

User Image
xX Pennie Lane Xx

User Image
User Image

Desirable Guildsman

14,825 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Invisibility 100
  • Signature Look 250
User Image

User ImageUser Image

User Image

There will be a guild to continue role-playing in after the ball ends. It will be posted here on Sunday but the guild will open on Monday. The Guild will have contests and more places to RP also. It will have alot more which will be announced the day the guild opens.

Here is the link to the guild: Click here

Desirable Guildsman

14,825 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Invisibility 100
  • Signature Look 250

Desirable Guildsman

14,825 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Invisibility 100
  • Signature Look 250

Desirable Guildsman