Welcome to Gaia! ::

Alright... I have to go take an exam. Keep the questions coming. I'll answer them bright and early tomorrow morning!
x Astrophobia
To me, God is the creation of a tyrannical goverment trying to repress civilization and keep their citizens in control by placing rules and religious morals to make sure that they have no free will of their own, making them follow the false hope of absolution once dead as long as they play nice, be docile, and idolize a non-existent being. "God" is the cause of heinous crimes and persecuations across history.

<_< umm.. god and religion were created by man <_< it is a fact, this "god" didn't magically poof the bible into existance, it was written as separate books and letters and songs over many hundreds of years which some people then just randomly decided to stick together after they were discovered <_<

it is a fact that religion came about as a way to control people >_>
If we supposedly condemned ourselves, did we do it because we wanted to go to hell? Did we do it voluntarily? Of course not. We supposedly violated someone's rules and hell was the punishment. Saying we condemned ourselves to hell is like saying an executed convict killed himself. No, he was technically killed by the state(or whoever threw the switch, depending on how you look at it), whether you think he deserved it or not.

What Wikipedia has to say about Universalism:
"In Christianity, Universalism refers to the belief that all humans will be saved through Jesus Christ and eventually come to a harmony in God's kingdom. A related doctrine, apokatastasis, is the belief that all mortal beings will be reconciled to God, including Satan and his fallen angels. Universalism was a fairly commonly held view among theologians in early Christianity: In the first five or six centuries of Christianity there were six known theological schools, of which four (Alexandria, Antioch, Cesarea, and Edessa or Nisibis) were Universalist, one (Ephesus) accepted conditional immortality, and one (Carthage or Rome) taught the endless punishment of the lost.[1]. The two major theologians opposing it were Tertullian and Augustine.[citation needed] In later centuries, Universalism has become very much a minority position in the major branches of Christianity, though it has a long history of prominent adherents."

I'm an atheist, for the record, not a Universalist of any kind.
Alatariel Silimaure
x Astrophobia
To me, God is the creation of a tyrannical goverment trying to repress civilization and keep their citizens in control by placing rules and religious morals to make sure that they have no free will of their own, making them follow the false hope of absolution once dead as long as they play nice, be docile, and idolize a non-existent being. "God" is the cause of heinous crimes and persecuations across history.

<_< umm.. god and religion were created by man <_< it is a fact, this "god" didn't magically poof the bible into existance, it was written as separate books and letters and songs over many hundreds of years which some people then just randomly decided to stick together after they were discovered <_<

you're right that men physically wrote the words in the bible... but the christian faith also teaches that God inspired those words.

and I'd really like to see that "proof" of religion being invented to control people... did the man who invented religion write it down somewhere??? haha. If you want to believe that, that's your choice... but I wouldn't go around saying it's been "proven"...
sarahe484
Alatariel Silimaure
x Astrophobia

you're right that men physically wrote the words in the bible... but the christian faith also teaches that God inspired those words.

and I'd really like to see that "proof" of religion being invented to control people... did the man who invented religion write it down somewhere??? haha. If you want to believe that, that's your choice... but I wouldn't go around saying it's been "proven"...

Just like I wouldn't go around saying God exists.
Travesty
If we supposedly condemned ourselves, did we do it because we wanted to go to hell? Did we do it voluntarily? Of course not. We supposedly violated someone's rules and hell was the punishment. Saying we condemned ourselves to hell is like saying an executed convict killed himself. No, he was technically killed by the state(or whoever threw the switch, depending on how you look at it), whether you think he deserved it or not.

What Wikipedia has to say about Universalism:
"In Christianity, Universalism refers to the belief that all humans will be saved through Jesus Christ and eventually come to a harmony in God's kingdom. A related doctrine, apokatastasis, is the belief that all mortal beings will be reconciled to God, including Satan and his fallen angels. Universalism was a fairly commonly held view among theologians in early Christianity: In the first five or six centuries of Christianity there were six known theological schools, of which four (Alexandria, Antioch, Cesarea, and Edessa or Nisibis) were Universalist, one (Ephesus) accepted conditional immortality, and one (Carthage or Rome) taught the endless punishment of the lost.[1]. The two major theologians opposing it were Tertullian and Augustine.[citation needed] In later centuries, Universalism has become very much a minority position in the major branches of Christianity, though it has a long history of prominent adherents."

I'm an atheist, for the record, not a Universalist of any kind.

You're right, God would be the one who made the rules that we broke.. But Hell was never meant for man... it was made for the devil and his followers... and by choosing to disobey God, man fell under the same punishment. Unlike the devil and his followers, however, God provided a way for man to escape that punishment.
x Astrophobia
sarahe484
Alatariel Silimaure
x Astrophobia

Just like I wouldn't go around saying God exists.

I say God exists... not that his existance has been PROVEN.
there's a HUGE difference. Saying he exists is a belief, whether correct or incorrect... but saying there's proof when their isn't, that's ignorance...
ANY WAY... we're getting off topic here. I don't care to debate the existance of God or the validity of Christianity... I just want to answer people's questions about it... so that they can make their own informed decision... so when I get back tomorrow, I'll continue doing just that. Now, I must run along to my exam! Have a good afternoon!!
Youth is often too sure of the future.

I wanna know why when Christianity and religion comes up people get bitchy and pretend others are trying to force their beliefs on them.

I wanna know why people are so offended when people say they need to "be saved"
yet they turn around and bash the believers beliefs and pretend they aren't
doing the same thing.

I actually have no questions about Christianity.
I'm agnostic.
But i understand the religion.

But the subject interests me.

Maturity, on the other hand, has often learned to be content with scraps and fragments, wretched crumbs saved out of the disasters on which its early hopes suffered shipwreck. -David F. Swenson.
sarahe484
Alatariel Silimaure
x Astrophobia

well then where is your proof that the people that wrote this "bible" weren't a bunch of guys that were writing fairy tales just cause they felt like it?

and the proof I have is in the study of archaeology and the archaeological record, it's a hell of a lot more provable than the existance of god. By studying sites that have been discovered archaeologists have been able to see that as civilizations became larger, religions started to form, created by the heads of state. The egyptian religion for one, there is written proof that it was created by those in the royal family and they often rewrote history to suit their own means and claim themselves as the true divine rulers. so there is proof out there ^_^ maybe not 100% undeniable proof, but a hell of a lot more provable than people being told by a divine being what to write
to me Christianity is bunch of hooplah.

*cough*s**t*cough*
Why did they change the bible in the 1940's to teach that homosexuality is disgusting and immoral and then use this new bible to preach to new generations about how homosexuality is wrong and that homosexuals should be treated as second-class citizens with no rights and in fact, in some circles, should be killed?

Don't give me stuff about how christians "didn't change the bible because it was already there" because they did. They did. They changed it from passages like "man must not lay with another man" to "homosexuals should not lay together". The old passages could be interpreted different ways and in fact were, but then they were changed to be interpreted only one "correct" homophobic way. If you didn't know, the bible was changed because during ww2 there was a huge surge of homosexuality because men in the military were with other men so much (similar to what happens in all male prisons) and outraged and scared elders changed the bible to try to "win them back".

People have been changing the bible since it was put together as an amalgam of other religious teachings way back when. In the 1100's, it was spliced and diced to take out and add stories and teachings to make "the true faith" by man. Now the stories that have been taken out have become legends.

:: Rants::
I have some questions about Christianity...

For one: Why are so many Christians hung up about things like homosexuality being a sin? That is only brought up in the old testiment, and is righted in the new testiment by the whole "all men are equal in God's eyes" thing.

For two: Why do many Christians take the Bible word for word, when in actuality it is a book of Morals and Metaphors, on how to enrich your life, not how you should live it?

Dapper Humorist

I don't understand why it still exists.
i just have a thing to say...
THERE IS NOTHING CONTROVERSIAL IN THE BIBLE..
everything that happened can be traced back..
everything is proven,
but if u wanna be ignorant, be my guest

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas