Conlang accents? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Eccentric Iconoclast
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:26 pm
What would your conpeople sound like if they tried to speak English? I think this would be really interesting to find out.

I'll record a bit of text with an Aquenandi accent and get back to you. ;o  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:48 pm
Once I actually start recording me speaking in Sooyalinga, then English..I'll get back to ya. xD

Mintea Drops

Eloquent Elocutionist

8,250 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Invisibility 100
  • Beta Contributor 0

Xeigrich
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:23 pm
Native Anzer Pex speakers would be able to speak English with almost no obvious accent. Their R's would sound funny in words ending with R, though, such as "runner" or "after." They might also have a tendency to pronounce long A (as in "ate") as a short A (?) (as in "at").

The only other differences would be minor, such as using a German style "ng" rather than the English style... They might pronounce "English" more like "ing, lish." Words with "sts" or "tst" in them may cause a native Anzer Pex speaker to stutter or stumble over that part of the word.

There's no real way to know unless someone was raised speaking Anzer Pex, then was taught English.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:26 pm
nerarv has no labials, and what we have as velars it has as palatals.
Also, the ls and rs are trills instead of approximants, and it doesn't have any affricatives.

It probably wouldn't be very intelligible.  

Layra-chan

Mintea Drops

Eloquent Elocutionist

8,250 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Invisibility 100
  • Beta Contributor 0
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:03 pm
Kay.

So I put a little more figuring into my language. The J's are pronounced like a spanish j, so everyword with j would be pronounced with an H.

Job would become hob.

Also all the words only have one pronounciation. So 'Ate' would be pronounced as "ah teh eh" Or "at" :]

So naturally English would be very confusing. xD

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:54 pm
The main oddity with mine would probably be that they might tend to assume that vowels are short (e.g. pronouncing "game" with the 'a' sound from "hat" and the 'e' sound from "let") since their long vowels are written with different letters to the short ones.

They'd likely also pronounce R's further back in the throat, maybe leave off 'g' sounds after 'ng' sounds, and might get a bit bemused by C's. And I'd be surprised if they could differentiate between "th" and "f", because Leŋga-fen doesn't have "th". (Heck, English does and I can't tell the difference. sweatdrop )  

DavidGemmell

Forgedawn
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:02 am
Kintarasesa only has so many sounds, so it would have to use dipthongs for some vowels and imitate others--like ai for long I, etc. Basically, to speak English, we'd use the same rules as to try and name things.

"Eksentrek Aikanoklast" Note--that last a is still "ah", not the short a from English. There's no aah or ih. Well... there's only ih when saying hte names of letters... rofl because letters don't have official names in Kintarasesa, just sounds.

And there's no standard v vs. w, or ch. v and w would get mixed up sometimes, and ch woudl be replaced with sh sometimes.

The Rs would sound odd, almost rolled, but not really.

The only h is a kh sound.

there is no j, just zh, so they MIGHT be able to make the j sound, but quite possibly not.

There's also no hard th, so they can say words like "three" and not like "they". Might be able to imitate ok, though. Might end up making the d sound for the hard th.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:12 pm
Speakers of Niora would be totally beffuddled by q's x's v's w's and z's because none of them appear in Niora, and they would probably pronounce r's as slightly trilled. Oh, yeah, and they wouldn't pronounce vowel combinations properly either... wow, I don't think the folk of Nio really could learn English sweatdrop (I mean, not without considerable effort, anyway whee )  

Homurakitsune

Sparkly Gekko

DarkenVice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:36 pm

What is Truth?

Quan'sha is spoken strangely...

Jencalla Nori vendru...its spoke quite quick, and the R's are rolled.

Vowels will have extended more emphasized sounds depending upon importance and most likely I will adopt a Gaelic pronunciation to some of the words.

The Concept of your undoing...

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 4:20 pm
They'd have a very, very thick Punjabi-esque accent. Like Apu but stronger.  

Jazztast!c

Shen Trey

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:21 am
well Tokeil Meanicunei is pretty obvious that a person would have an accent, though mostly just with random words, I kind of got carried away and began speaking Tokeil more than English and now every once and a while I speak words with the wrong pronunciation and...yeah sounds pretty dumb lol. could be why people assume im an exchange student 0.o  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:00 pm
I don't think Yiwoyuwa-speakers would have an accent. Well, they might have an American one. =P

The 'r' is really really pronounced. xD

So, they wouldn't like to speak England English, but they could get along just peachy in the US. =)

The only thing would be that they'd probably have trouble with 'th', both voiced and unvoiced. Most likely they'd use a 'd' sound or something... I dunno. I don't think they'd have that difficult of a time adjusting.  

Goddess Rukus

Sparkly Gekko

absinthemourning

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:31 pm
The native speakers of Voshla would just sound as if they had a heavy Slavic accent. Nothing special.
Just as ForgeDawn said with his language, Voshla has no 'j' either, so it would be said with a 'zh' instead.
There is no 'w' so, words like 'witch' and 'weather' would have a 'v' instead to become 'vitch and 'veather'
Since no 'q' exists, the substitution would be 'кю' (kyu)
the 'th' may pose a slight inconvenience, but would be replaced with 'z' or 'd'

For the most part though, they would be understandable.  
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 7:02 pm
Mïz says...

Romaşa would sound something like a Spanish or Portuguese accent, with pretty strong rolled r's and some shortened vowels like Portuguese (mostly e's would be turned into schwas).

A speaker would not be able to pronounce either of the English th sounds (þ and ð), turned them into t and d, respectively. They also might have a few problems with English j, turning it into a ʒ.

... that's what Mïz said.

Mizenki

Shen Trey

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 5:56 pm
the speakers of my new Language would have a rather shy accent (meaning you would have to be trying to hear it)

practically they sound like a native Northern American Speaker, though they do throw in a few southern English terms once in a while. the only time you would know if they had an accent is because a few words would randomly be switched with the vowels (such as saying money, they would accidentally say moonies, or the word funny would be said like Foonay, sometimes they fix this while speaking but if you listen many random words will be messed up due to the vowel lacking problem (the language of my people have eleven vowels)

though also many consonants might have a harder sound, or maybe softer ye can hardly notice it however.  
The Constructed Languages Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff