Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

poll
  whore
View Results

Greencoatie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:23 pm

I say read what makes you happy.
This teacher doesn't sound like much of a teacher either. You should let her know this. Honestly, she should be encouraging you to read, not to make you feel ashamed of what you do read.
If this club isn't working out for you then start up a new one! Lure out all those closeted fantasy NERDS!

Me, if I'm called nerdy or geeky for loving fantasy novels, I smile happily.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:50 am
My parents absolutely love it that I read fantasy books, because they buy them and I read them more than once, making their payment of money stretch for a while.

The book club at my school is just the same. All they ever read is uninteresting crap, and when I suggested a really good book (The Golden Compass) against what the teacher had recommended, I was shot down with the remark of, "But, this could really happen to you." I actually came back with, "No, ma'am, it couldn't, because I am not a 9th grade GIRL." So, I took my personal copy of The Golden Compass, and I walked out of the book club, never to return, except on occasion to steal pizza.  

The Vorpal Tom

Crowlow

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:12 pm
Some ideas for come backs after someone disrespects your fantasy book

-4th level a*****e? OK who the hell gave you that spell?
-I bet my dragons bigger then yours!
-By the power of Grey skull, you look like like a sheman
-at least my book doesn't include gay sex!,(mine doesn't either) What ever you say (name of person here) what ever you say
-(why are you reading (name of book here))Because i figured if i didn't make eye contact You would shut the hell up and move away.
-Woah WOah WOAH! Dont come so close to me im afraid im gonna catch the siphilous from you
-i'm invisible(no your not) well at least I'm not in a closest like SOME people. ninja  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:22 pm
The sad thing is that many people forget the rich literary traditions that fantasy comes from; The Brother's Grimm, The Odyssy, Beowulf, A Midsummer Night's Dream, King Arthur, The oldest recorded book of all!; The Epic of Gilgamesh! People have forgotten that fantasy is what entertained people for ages, and just because we don't beleive in them anymore doesn't make them less meaningful. Why, look how well shakespeare did with the supernatural!

People just don't understand that fantasy is an artistic symbolization of reality, in which the hero carries a sword, who in real life would carry only a picket sign.  

Nomad of Nowhere

Dead Heresy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:22 pm
I think you should make your own book club if you can. It's stupid what your so called teacher is doing... it makes me think of my grade 10 and 11 English teacher (And unforunately I had that b***h twice in a row) who would only do things she thought were valuable and never once have the sense to keep an open mind to what the students wanted. (BTW MS. Salvatore, I still hold you in the upmost contempt for grading me one way and then visibly erasing the grade I got on a fantasy story I wrote for your class by dropping me down 4 points. WHAT kind of teacher pulls that? A stupid one.)

Teachers who are so closed-minded shouldn't be teaching and students who don't show up for meeting or are "honorary" members - their votes shouldn't count either. Anything can be escapism, but people always tag it onto the genre of Fantasy simply because of the idea that it's "makebelieve" when in reality any story - any genre - can do that.

The next time your teacher disses your genre, you should address what she has done as being insultive and talk to her about her false views. Sometimes they don't even realize they're doing it, but sometimes this never helps either. sad It can be really frustrating dealing with people who are so set in their ways that they can't even be approachable.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:39 am
Totally not!!! scream
When I meet your teacher she's gonna get it. it's not because you like to read books about sorcerers and stuff that you are different. I 'm convinced that I know more about the world than your teacher who reads the shopholic books. People who think like that don't understand the true meaning of books.
To entertain, fascinate and shock their readers.

ps. sorry for the spellfaults sweatdrop  

Rualeen

5,250 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200

Bun-Chan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:16 pm
That was rather cruel of the teacher. Some of the greatest authors and even people got riduculed before they became famous. But I digress. I think it's great for people just to read. Find a book that interests you and later you will expand to other books as well. People should not make fun of you just because you like fantasy. Some people get weird ideas that if they like a book the whole world should and that is all people read. But that is why they're libraries full of different genres. But anyway I'm ranting!! Sorry.

READ WHAT YOU LIKE!! And don't let anyone tell you otherwise!!
*Unless of course if it's your parents telling you it's not apporiate eek *  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:24 pm
Yes fantasy books are not respected and are discriminated simply because of their genre. A common example is Harry Potter. Many people judge the book by it's cover. They don't take a chance and read. If they did I am sure they would like just as well as others who take the risk. Yes we are all guilty of judging a book by the cover but if you get a recomendation by someone you trust then you should take not just brush it off like most. neutral  

jingle bear

Little Skana

Flip-Flopper

44,900 Points
  • SpoOOokie Cookie Camp Treat Hunter 50
  • Waffles! 25
  • Task Accomplished 100
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:21 pm
Please don't let your teacher discourage you from reading what you like. A well rounded person is interested in all types of books. With a generation of students who don't even want to open a book, much less discuss anything relating to a book, you should be proud of yourself. Please start a reading club where you can enjoy a good discussion about books you like. Try not to limit your self to fantasy only. There are so many good books out there on many subjects. A teacher who ridicules her students is not setting a good example for the other students since they are following her bad example. I for one am proud of you.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:21 am
Who cares if you read fanasty books or normal books. Who to say that Fanasty books are not real. To me I just believe in Magic.
heart rofl  

felicity_mills

CastleAlyts

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:48 am
The thing about books in the first place they are all a way to escape from reality. The same as the dreaded mind candy of TV. The problem with the fantasy is that there are those that have a hard time getting their mind around the concept of things that are "not real" such as dragons and mages and so forth. but those that read romance book's get to deal with the "not real" view of how romance and love is to be. I don't touch girl-fluff books, mainly cause I have yet to have one that interests me, nor have i had someone go around and tell me I should read the book. and a lot of the situations that happen in those books, will rarely happen to the general public.

Books are to entertain and to educate. and all books are able to do so.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:29 pm
i think that it's a great genre and people who think that they are not real books are missing out on a lot of really great perspectives on life. You kow what else sounds like a fantasy book the Bible so it's like hey fantasy can have a touch of reality or even morals and what not  

murphyad

Deadly Tea

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:25 am
I suppose so, by most people at least. I and one of my friends are completely fantasy lovers. But our school is againts the whole thing. In elementary school they banned all fantasy books. I think they thought that a simple fairie tale was going to sway our beliefs or something. Yea right! I think it's totally fine to go ahead and read fantasy books with your head held high. Declare it to the world!

By the way, I like your idea on the fantasy club. I wish they had something like that at my school. But no one reads except me and my friend....

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:35 am
NightIntent
Well, my mom has declared, on several occasions, that the books I read are not "real books." She wants me to read classics, which I would read... except she told me they're real books and that's the only reason I should read them. You know what books I think aren't "real books?" Romance novels. Most of the ones I've read (and yes, I have read a good few of them) have a token plot and mainly revolve around sex between the main character and the main love interest. Sometimes multiple love interests. Not to say I haven't found some really good romance books--I have. But still, the majority of the romance books I read are dumb. Do people make fun of romance readers publicly? Not really.

And that's why I don't join book clubs. Almost never do the people in book clubs read books that I would like.

I agree with you. My mum reads mills and broom books. I attempted to read one and failed.

@orignal poster. Start your own biggrin My idea of a good book is one that keeps your attention. Wht the hell is wrong with made up stories?  

Evinta

Dizzy_Dizo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:14 pm
exactly! i might do the same thing. and tell that teacher of yours to go jump off a cliff! all my pionts have been made and i don't want to be redundant, but next time you see that teacher, pull out a fantasy book and start reading it. and tell your friend that fantasy doesn't mean nerdy, it means having an imagination and you won't be depreesed all the time!  
Fantasy Books Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff