Welcome to Gaia! ::

*~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild

Back to Guilds

Reply *~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild
Online Bible study Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 17 18 19 20 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Izumi_Shaman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:48 pm
Faith Fairy
I think if we could start a new sticky on this topic, we could make the first post a list of all the Bible study threads we start. That way the thread could be updated so members could easily find the thread they are studying, and new members could browse through them and join the one (or however many they liked) Bible study group(s) they wanted. Ideally, either the person who started that thread would be someone who would be willing to check it nearly every day to update as needed, or a common mule for a group of Bible Study leaders, who would then be given access to the mule to be able to update their information as needed.

The first post list might look something like this:
[ linked title of Bible Study thread ] led by Xxxxxx is currently studying Ruth 1-3

etc.

and each Title would include how often the reading advances. ("One Chapter of Genesis Daily", or "Two Readings per Week", or "Reading The Whole Bible in Order, Daily" or "Discussion about Revelations and the End Times"). Well, you get the idea. And other threads could be added or completed ones deleted at the leaders' request.

I kind of like that idea too but also maybe a thread for all the studies put together for fellowship or something so everyone won't just stick with their little "group" but have contact with everyone. Maybe we could have like one sticky that has links to each bible session thread so that there isn't a whole bunch of stickies in a row like they did to clean up the forum.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 10:41 pm
Fushigi na Butterfly
That's a really good idea eek
I really like that idea, especially as we can follow our own plans and post in the related threads when we get there.
Izumi_Shaman
Maybe we could have like one sticky that has links to each bible session thread so that there isn't a whole bunch of stickies in a row like they did to clean up the forum.
i believe that a board for all the stickies and threads would be better. I can make whoever moderators, and then all you'd need to do here is update the first post of this sticky.

A sticky for all the stickies seems a bit counterintuitive, and it's unnecessary work to keep updating it...  

NewAgeLink

Fushigi na Butterfly

High-functioning Businesswoman

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:35 am
I really love all the great ideas you guys are coming up with (I feel bad that I didn't come up with them myself sweatdrop ). You guys are truly awesome and I am so grateful for all the help. Another idea for a reading plan (similar to something I suggested before), would be reading perhaps two or four chapters from the OT, and one or two from the NT (does this make sense?). So it would be two from OT and one from NT, or four from OT and two from NT (since the New Testament is much shorter than the Old Testament), or something like that. We might not finish it in a year (in fact, I'm almost positive we won't), but it's just a little suggestion, close to how I read my Bible alone.

By the way, NAL, I like the message board idea, that way we can help keep the guild clean and not clutter it with so many stickies.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 4:59 pm
i'm in favor  

Haven923

Aged Gaian

7,600 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200

NewAgeLink

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 5:13 pm
Fushigi na Butterfly
By the way, NAL, I like the message board idea, that way we can help keep the guild clean and not clutter it with so many stickies.
cool. if we do go with the message board, we might get a few more members, too. (one girl I know in OK might be interested, and she's told me she might persuade some of her friends to join (maybe some from her church), and they might be interested...)  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:39 pm
Sweet. My dad pointed out another really cool idea (he thinks it's so cool I'm trying to start an online Bible study ^^*): we could discuss lyrics from songs that are taken right out of the Bible. Take, for example, the song "Quiet You With My Love" by Rebecca St.James, the chorus lyrics of which are:

And I will quiet you with my love
Rejoice over you with my song.

This verse can be traced back to the Book of Zephaniah almost word for word:
"The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing." ~Zephaniah 3:17  

Fushigi na Butterfly

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200

NewAgeLink

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 7:35 pm
I don't see a point in discussing songs' lyrics that happen to be Bible verses... what's the point?

"These lyrics are from this Bible passage!"
"Why, yes. So they are."
"Yeah."
"... yeah."
"Just wanted to point that out."
"... okay. So...?"  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:32 pm
I guess the point is that because they're used in songs today ... urm ... something about relevance ... -_-; I had a good point for this earlier, but at 1:30 in the morning my brain cells must be sleeping. If I remember, I'll let you guys know. Until then, yeah, stupid idea sweatdrop  

Fushigi na Butterfly

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200

Faith Fairy

Crew

Blessed Fairy

9,025 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:35 am
We're just brainstorming here, so no idea is stupid. As for the "board" idea, I've never used one of those successfully (the one I do go to sometimes frequently goes "down" which is irritating).

My thought was a carefully constructed sticky thread that would link all Bible studies and discussion groups, which in turn would all be individual threads in the guild, not stickies. The first post could be just an introduction of the idea behind the Bible studies and who the leaders are (they start their respective threads and monitor their threads for relevance and movement). The second post could be links to each thread where Bible study is being conducted, and the third post could be links to discussion threads. After that folks could post questions like "Can I start a Bible Study thread about....?" or concerns like "Does anyone know any other resources about ....?" Only the first three posts would need updating regularly (weekly maybe?). It would take the place of this thread, so no more stickies would be there than before.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:02 pm
Faith Fairy
As for the "board" idea, I've never used one of those successfully (the one I do go to sometimes frequently goes "down" which is irritating).
You're using Gaia right now... and it goes down WAY more than my forums / that board will.
Faith Fairy
My thought was a carefully constructed sticky thread that would link all Bible studies and discussion groups, which in turn would all be individual threads in the guild, not stickies. The first post could be just an introduction of the idea behind the Bible studies and who the leaders are (they start their respective threads and monitor their threads for relevance and movement). The second post could be links to each thread where Bible study is being conducted, and the third post could be links to discussion threads. After that folks could post questions like "Can I start a Bible Study thread about....?" or concerns like "Does anyone know any other resources about ....?" Only the first three posts would need updating regularly (weekly maybe?). It would take the place of this thread, so no more stickies would be there than before.
But then you can't see how many replies a thread has, when the last post was, how many views the thread has, how popular the thread is, or when the last poster was, AND you have to go to that one sticky in order to see anything else, and it's still more work involved as the sticky would have to be updated continuously by one person (which, in order to do so, would require notification from others of the new development, again, more work.)  

NewAgeLink

HolyEssence

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:35 pm
The whole bible study thing sounds wicked awesome, but I'm afraid I can't join. Only cause schools starting back up real soon, and I won't have time to get on. I'll be on for only an hour a day, and I may have to use my hour to do this other online bible study I have going. Course there's still a lot to be done for my website and everything, so it won't start till september 1st.

But your online bible study thing sounds cool. When does it start exactly? If I can fit it into my time, I may join...  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:56 pm
So far we don't have an exact start date. We're still just brainstorming like FF said, and still trying to decide on a reading plan.  

Fushigi na Butterfly

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200

NewAgeLink

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:37 pm
In the meantime, I'm working on http://www.backtothebible.org/devotions/journey/readme.htm?level=chronological

I'm reading the daily passage, as well as starting from the beginning in January and working to catch up (because I started in Juneish.) I've made a thread about it: http://internets101.com/dan/viewtopic.php?t=18.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:58 pm
so what all's happened while I've been on vaca?  

~The Twilight Dusk~

vampy dave

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:33 pm
I like the forum the NAL posted. That would be much easier to use than trying to use this guild. That would proabably cause alot of clutter, which isn't good. And I take it we still have mo idea when this is going to start up right?  
*~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 17 18 19 20 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff