View Results

Efstathios

Girl-Crazy Noob

3,050 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Clambake 200
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:56 pm
If I can find the article I'll post it, but homework is actually very bad.

It can, in fact, lead to lower test scores.

Teachers spend more time grading useless assignment than preparing lessons. They spend less time teaching because they rely on the homework to do the teaching. Now, independent study is cool for advanced classes in higher grades, but that is NOT how all teachers should teach. As was mentioned earlier many students have trouble teaching themselves and their parents can't always do it either, thus public education, which has been faling students more and more lately.

As a result homework makes kids and teachers into mindless automatons. Instead of actually learning, kids just memorize. Which was also stated earlier, no one understands any of it, they just memorize it so they can be done with it and promptly forget it.

So because kids usually have no idea what's going on they preform poorly on tests that test anything other than rote memorization and forget it the moment it's no longer needed. Also teachers, particularly where math is concerned, may grade an answer wrong when it is actually correct if the student reaches the answer in a different way than the teacher did. This is especially true if the students way is shorter or easier.

So it's bad for test scores and free-thinking evil  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:39 am
i believe homework is good.it helps us 2 understand the topic more n get a good knowledge abt the topic..but at the same time tooooo uch of homework is also stressfull.......so mayb time management is goin 2 help...  

niceniyati

Efstathios

Girl-Crazy Noob

3,050 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Clambake 200
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:53 pm
Homework in the form of independant research is an excellent way to learn and can even be fun.

repetative, monotonous tasks and dumb worksheets are not worth the time and effort for reasons I already stated.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:38 pm
Efstathios
Homework in the form of independant research is an excellent way to learn and can even be fun.

repetative, monotonous tasks and dumb worksheets are not worth the time and effort for reasons I already stated.

Exactly... which is why I hate my math class, it's just a whole lot of worksheets that we really don't need to do, and we have to take them home and if you miss one assignment it all gets backed up and then you miss sleep and then you fail the quiz...
But some times home work is good, it helps you think about the stuff outside of class, so you learn it better. Just as long as it's not... ridiculous.  

Accalia-Squirrel

Snowmaiden616

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 1:10 pm
I just have this to say.......

Homework is a b*$&# and the teachers are b*$&#e;s for assigning it.

Funny word assign

Mix the letters and you get.....
a** ing

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 9:41 pm
It depends on the type of homework that's given. If it is homework that efficiently has one practice the exact kinds of problems that will be on the test it can be helpful. If it makes the student think for themselves and isn't structured to where BS'ing is way too easy, then it can be helpful. For example, I remember having math homework. I didn't understand how to do the work. I would be stretched for time and the teacher only looked to see if the work "appeared" to be done so it was easy to have all my assignments "done" but it didn't help me whatsoever on the test. I would end up having to work with someone else when I got the chance to help me understand the math itself sweatdrop  

criffer

MsDevin92

Chatty Friend

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:41 pm
It's a pain in the neck, but sadly necessary.
The real problem is that too much of it is given out. That's what puts stress on students.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:18 pm
There was actually a study that showed students who weren't given so much homework did better. This was because the teacher had to actually teach rather than just pretend the homework was gonna teach the kids. Also they had more time to prepare their lessons because they weren't grading paper.
Homework is not necessary. It is actually detrimental.  

Efstathios

Girl-Crazy Noob

3,050 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Clambake 200

stryder106

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:58 pm
homework ruins grades i mean at my school its 60% of the grade and its to dificult i mean think about it if there was no homework i'd be less stressed for test and i wouldnt have that 60% to fail homework is pointless  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:37 pm
Well, I shall try to be fair to both sides. I am personally against having a lot of homework, as a student, and as someone who has seen some horrors of it. Please allow me to explain a little:

I go to a school for smart kids*, where we end up taking advanced classes and such, sometimes at a faster pace than normal classes. There tends to be a lot of over-achievers and perfectionists, and they do break down from the homework. Sometimes the work load is the same as at a normal school and it still takes forever to do, (I'm not a perfectionist nor an over-achiever), and in the end, you just lose the rest of your day and sometimes sleep. I've done that before I came to this school.

As for why I think it is bad, well it takes away from down time children (under-aged people) to just relax and let go of some stress. They still have work to worry about when the come home, and you if you don't care about it, you end up failing or getting really bad grades. The amount given now is just too much.

On the other hand, if you don't practice what you learn, you don't really remember it. So teachers have a reason for the work. The best thing to do, however, is not to overload students, but to give them say overall, homework that lasts for one to tone and a half hours. Total, all classes included. This would mean more discussion among the teachers, but it would save children.

*Note: I did take into consideration the kind of school I go to now (which happens to be public, so there are the same guidelines as the rest of the schools in my county, since it is made up of students from the 9 high schools), and I do remember how my early years of school were. I had the same amount of homework in middle school, at least most of the time, and it takes about the same amount of time.  

Dragonsoulj

minahakuba12345

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:10 pm
Homework. Speaking from a school - goers perspective, I say that it can raise a grade on a test, if given in the right amounts. Too much homework, as is often given, is too stressful, and can lower a score because a student will often speed though it. Too little, and the lesson will not sink in.

The right amount varies with a student's intelligence and age. A first grader should get 10 - 20 minutes of homework in total, equally distributed throughout subjects, a second grader 20 - 30 minutes, and so on. Too much homework, again is VERY stressful, and sometimes unhealthy.

For example, a student might come home with too much homework. They finish it, and then study. By then, the student might be too tired or stressed to go out, and just flop on their bed and lay there. hey will not burn any calories, and we all know what happens then. Even worse, many find no time to spend with friends, or to unwind. They might pull an all night-er to finish homework, and be too tired to function in the morning. Even now, as I write this, I know I have homework sitting in my bag, waiting to be done tomorrow. And I feel guilty for not finishing it. Even when I know I have time to do it, I have a bad feeling about it, and I know I shouldn't feel that, but I do. (Or maybe I'm just emo I don't know)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:36 pm
My response may be a little biased because of my dislike for homework, but I don't think it's necessary. Not in high school anyway, maybe in college where the real learning is done.
The concepts of the high school education are just so simple. There are some things that some people can't do well, I know this by experience, but they should only have to get help besides notes in those subjects.  

Count_Vladislos_Draculia

Count_Vladislos_Draculia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:38 pm
Firequeen133
Even now, as I write this, I know I have homework sitting in my bag, waiting to be done tomorrow. And I feel guilty for not finishing it. Even when I know I have time to do it, I have a bad feeling about it, and I know I shouldn't feel that, but I do. (Or maybe I'm just emo I don't know)

I know almost exactly what you mean.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:17 pm
Strix Varia
Does homework lead to a lower score on a test?

Does is cause too much stress?

How many mins/hours should the average highschool/college student spend on homework?

And finally, post anything else to support your speech.

I've never heard of homework leading to lower test scores.... I'll have to look it up sometime.

But apart from that, I fully support the idea that homework should be obliterated. Students are already in school for, on average, 7 hours a day. Why should they have to put in another couple of hours that night? Especially for students who are involved in sports, and etc.

At the same time, though, a lot of students at my school are incredibly stupid, especially when it comes to writing. Our school's scores were lowest when it came to writing. That's pathetic, in my opinion. It's the language you speak and write, how can you be bad at it?

I suppose now homework might be a good thing. I don't know now. Dammit. Now I'm confused on the topic. Now I'm rather torn between homework being good or bad....

Too much homework, as in, anything that takes over an hour to complete, is too much. A little homework could be good, though. However, I think overall, homework... would not help the intelligence of the student. Most of the homework I had was a matter of "here's the question, look up the answer and write it down". I can't say I learned anything from it. I learned more from in class discussions....

This is a rather complicated topic....
ninja  

Tasty Crayons

noob2deth

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:21 am
i think homework in highschool should be assigned but not madatory, so as to say that people who dont understand the topic as well as others will have a way to practice if they feel they must. and i feel furthermore that a student should be graded not only on tests but on how well they answer questions they might find in a real life situation; case in point geometry, a question phrased, "a dome shaped building that measures 40' across end by end, what is its volume?" applies real life value. a reasonable student would know to apply the equation (1/2)x(4/3(p*)r3**).

p*=pie
3**=cubed
anyway, i think i might have lost sight of my point so ill end it there.  
11: The Intelligent Cogitation: For the Master Debaters

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff