Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply Pro-Choice Gaians
Scientific question: Is a Zygote an Organism?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The Velveteen Violinist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:29 pm
Well, here:

My Pschyology (sp?) Textbook

Zygote: A one-celled ORGANISM formed by the union of a sperm and egg.

Is a zygote an organism?

I mean, it's living and all, but I think there's a definition of organism that doesn't match...

Anyone remember it?  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:31 am
Google
a living thing that has (or can develop) the ability to act or function independently"
"a system considered analogous in structure or function to a living body; "the social organism"

In biology and ecology, an organism (in Greek organon = instrument) is an assembly of molecules that influence each other in such a way that they function as a more or less stable whole and have properties of life.

Source

Dictionary.com
"1. a form of life composed of mutually interdependent parts that maintain various vital processes.
2. a form of life considered as an entity; an animal, plant, fungus, protistan, or moneran.
3. any organized body or system conceived of as analogous to a living being: the governmental organism.
4. any complex thing or system having properties and functions determined not only by the properties and relations of its individual parts, but by the character of the whole that they compose and by the relations of the parts to the whole."

Source

Merriam Webster's Dictionary
"1 : a complex structure of interdependent and subordinate elements whose relations and properties are largely determined by their function in the whole
2 : an individual constituted to carry on the activities of life by means of organs separate in function but mutually dependent : a living being"

Source
There are other definitions at all of the sources, just didn't feel like listing 'em all.

Seems like if it's a living and functioning entity then it is an organism. Google's first definition up there says that it can develop the ability to act or function independently.

*shrugs* I really don't know enough about zygotes though to know if it's an organism or not. I fail at science xp  

SterileNeedles

Half Baked SF

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:27 am
I have a biology textbook sitting in front of me, but it doesn't even have a definition for organism confused  
Pro-Choice Gaians

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games