Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply Pro-Choice Gaians
They always say that Britain is only 10 years behind America Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Shard Aerliss

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 2:51 pm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/south_yorkshire/6049750.stm

Pharmacist refuses woman the Morning After Pill... grrr  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:28 pm
Hm, I didn't know that not giving someone a morning-after pill was part of the Muslim belief.  

.[E]xplicit[R]esidue.

S. Shark

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:13 pm
I doubt it's against Muslim beliefs. It's probably just against the pharmacist's, and he's hiding behind his religion.

Damn us (U.S.), we are setting a bad example for the rest of the world.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:15 pm
Which is why I would try to stock up on it before-hand. Key word, TRY.  

KoopaTroopa18

Dapper Gekko

5,100 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

.[E]xplicit[R]esidue.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:24 pm
Mm, I can see it now. Headline news: Girl is found hoarding morning-after pills in her basement.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:26 pm
sybex Shark
I doubt it's against Muslim beliefs. It's probably just against the pharmacist's, and he's hiding behind his religion.

Unfortunately, I believe the article said the pharmacy allowed its workers to prohibit supplying medecines do to their religious beliefs, so he won't be fired. Funny how it was a male though.

I do believe we've been setting examples from day one, what with the American Revolution and all.

.[E]xplicit[R]esidue.

KoopaTroopa18

Dapper Gekko

5,100 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:32 pm
Enraged.-.Serenity
Mm, I can see it now. Headline news: Girl is found hoarding morning-after pills in her basement.
and this is the rest of it. "Apparently she was stocking them up and giving them to people who were refused the pills at pharmacies and hospitals. This is what she said to camera's when she was being arrested, 'Everyone should have the right to do what they want and not be forced into doing something like having a pregnancy.' She will be arrainged next week. In other news, Pro-lifers protested outside of her house saying that she should get the death penalty..."  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:49 pm
Enraged.-.Serenity
sybex Shark

Unfortunately, I believe the article said the pharmacy allowed its workers to prohibit supplying medecines do to their religious beliefs, so he won't be fired. Funny how it was a male though.

I do believe we've been setting examples from day one, what with the American Revolution and all.
Meh. Their loss. Personally, I think they should make people prove it's against their religion and not personal beliefs. If the Bible/Qu'ran/[insert holy book here] says such-and-such is wrong, well, shouldn't be that hard to prove, right?

And that's a bad example...?

S. Shark

GreenSouthpaw

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:32 pm
sybex Shark
Enraged.-.Serenity
sybex Shark

Meh. Their loss. Personally, I think they should make people prove it's against their religion and not personal beliefs. If the Bible/Qu'ran/[insert holy book here] says such-and-such is wrong, well, shouldn't be that hard to prove, right?

Yeah. They make you prove it's against your religion when you don't want to kill born people [Conscientious Objection] but not when you don't want people to cut off a potential potential person's nourishment...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:34 pm
Quote:
She said: "If I had not been able to get it and I had got pregnant, would an abortion have suited him better?
BRILLIANT.

If some lazy pharmacist decides to stop doing his job for me, I am using that line.  

Half Baked SF

.[E]xplicit[R]esidue.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:19 pm
sybex Shark
Enraged.-.Serenity
sybex Shark

Oh no, I never said it was, I'm just saying that America has been setting examples since it was first starting.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:22 pm
SSBrosM
Enraged.-.Serenity
and this is the rest of it. "Apparently she was stocking them up and giving them to people who were refused the pills at pharmacies and hospitals. This is what she said to camera's when she was being arrested, 'Everyone should have the right to do what they want and not be forced into doing something like having a pregnancy.' She will be arrainged next week. In other news, Pro-lifers protested outside of her house saying that she should get the death penalty..."

I'd be right next to those pro-lifers, bashing their heads in with their picket signs. Then I'd run up to a camera man, steal his camera, and have tons of fun taping the pro-lifers and aggresively interviewing them.  

.[E]xplicit[R]esidue.

Lord Setar

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:00 am
Enraged.-.Serenity
sybex Shark

You did. You made Britain accede to the demands of Canada and helped us usher in responsible government.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:48 am
Quote:
The Royal Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain's code allows a pharmacist to refuse to sell or dispense drugs because of their religious or moral beliefs.

Disgraceful. If they find that their religion and/or morals conflict with their job, then they should find another job, perhaps one that won't end up having serious consequences for any other person.

The stories are thankfully rare over here, but they're still ridiculous nontheless when they do crop up. It'd be like a vegetarian/vegan taking a job in somewhere like McDonalds, then refusing to serve burgers.  

unable sister

Shapeshifter

RMarques

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:38 am
Enraged.-.Serenity
Hm, I didn't know that not giving someone a morning-after pill was part of the Muslim belief.

It really isn't. Islam allows contraception if the couple can't afford the child, or there's a medical condition that would make the pregnancy dangerous, or the child would be born with birth defects. And since according to the Islamic belief, the soul only enters the egg 2 weeks after conception, really, that woman wasn't doing anything wrong, even acording to his belief.  
Pro-Choice Gaians

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff