Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Maiira

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:04 pm
Kukushka
ChemicalSoiree
That's one of the reasons I'm thankful for abortion. If you don't want or aren't ready for a kid, you could mess their lives up so badly. Why bring a child into a world already so horrific just to give them a less than decent introduction to it all?

One thing that always bugs me, though, is that the people who are sensible enough to examine their lives and say "you know what, I'm just not ready for this" are probably the same people who would make things work and turn out pretty OK parents.

It's the ones who say "ZOMG MUST HAVE BEBES AT ALL COSTS AND TAKE ALL RIGHTS AWAY FROM EVERYONE MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA" who tend to end up with these crazy "lock child in the basement to protect him from sin" things.

I agree, actually.

Also, I heard another story about a family who literally kept their daughter locked in a cage from infancy 'till she was about thirteen. She never learned to speak, walk, read, or use the toilet. She was, in effect, a feral child. She'll never be able to speak, because the parts of the brain responsible for speech close up after a certain number of years if the child has not already learned how. She can now walk, and (I assume) use the toilet, but she'll never be a fully functioning member of society.

Just what in the hell would possess someone to do such a thing to a child? It's beyond appalling, it's absolutely horrific. I mean, Jesus, if you have a kid (and by "kid" I mean one that's already born, not a fetus) and don't want it, then for god's sake find someone else who does. Aren't there services at hospitals where you can drop off babies, no questions asked?

On an unrelated note...I'm a newbie in this guild and this is my first post! Hooray!  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:28 am
maiira
Also, I heard another story about a family who literally kept their daughter locked in a cage from infancy 'till she was about thirteen. She never learned to speak, walk, read, or use the toilet. She was, in effect, a feral child. She'll never be able to speak, because the parts of the brain responsible for speech close up after a certain number of years if the child has not already learned how. She can now walk, and (I assume) use the toilet, but she'll never be a fully functioning member of society.

I heard a very similar story, except that she died. Almost exactly the same in all other details, though.

Once puberty started, her body just shut down. Official cause of death was: failure to thrive. Her body was perfectly healthy, but because socialization hadn't occured before a certain point, the body terminated itself.

KP606 always argues against their being a "fate worse than death." And yet, failure to thrive syndrome is a clear example that nature (or God) obviously thinks there is - and that's absense of love.

maiira
Just what in the hell would possess someone to do such a thing to a child? It's beyond appalling, it's absolutely horrific. I mean, Jesus, if you have a kid (and by "kid" I mean one that's already born, not a fetus) and don't want it, then for god's sake find someone else who does. Aren't there services at hospitals where you can drop off babies, no questions asked?

I think they DO want the child. Often, in cases of this sort of child abuse, parents feel that they have a reason to do it. "There's to much sin in the world and I must protect my child" is a frequent one. In this girl's case, perhaps it daddy took some psychology courses in college and wanted to see if it would actually work? It's not unheard of for people to conduct psychology experiments on their children. That's actually how we have most of our developmental psychology. And don't forget how nice it is for people who have a punching bag around that they can beat whenever they want to.

maiira
On an unrelated note...I'm a newbie in this guild and this is my first post! Hooray!

And a damn fine first post it was too!

Welcome smile  

Akhakhu

Frog Juice

7,050 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:40 am
That article made my newspaper here in South Australia.

It left me feeling so appalled by the parents behaviour. I just kept thinking, "How could they do that to a child that trusts them completely? How can you do that to your own flesh and blood? Or any child for that matter?!" Why would anyone even have a child if they were going to treat it like that? It's not a pet (even though pets shouldn't even be treated like that), it's a human being.

It's disgusting to me that people think they're doing the correct thing. Have they never even read a parenting book? Had classes in the hospital when the child was born? I mean come on, there is no excuse for abusing a child like that. None whatso ever.

If you want to do a psychology experiment, go through the proper channels and ethics committees like smart, normal people do. Don't just think that because you read a book you can do what you want!

... Sorry about getting stirred up but child abuse really gets up my goat. I may not be ready right now to have one of my own, but nothing (humans or animals) deserves to be mistreated or abused.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:53 am
Frog Juice
Or any child for that matter?!" Why would anyone even have a child if they were going to treat it like that? It's not a pet (even though pets shouldn't even be treated like that), it's a human being.
On that I would justlike to say that sometimes it isn't planned, wanted, and they can't do anything about it except give it up for adoption but sometimes people are too stupid to do that.  

KoopaTroopa18

Dapper Gekko

5,100 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Miraculous Jorbee

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:08 am
SSBrosM
Frog Juice
Or any child for that matter?!" Why would anyone even have a child if they were going to treat it like that? It's not a pet (even though pets shouldn't even be treated like that), it's a human being.
On that I would justlike to say that sometimes it isn't planned, wanted, and they can't do anything about it except give it up for adoption but sometimes people are too stupid to do that.

Are you implying that people are stupid when they dont give up their kids in those situations? Even if I hated my child, I'd never allow it to be put in that god forsaken system.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:18 am
Lady Yazoo
SSBrosM
Frog Juice

Are you implying that people are stupid when they dont give up their kids in those situations? Even if I hated my child, I'd never allow it to be put in that god forsaken system.
No. I'm saying that sometimes, some people don't even think about it.

I'm not implying that you are stupid if you have a child you don't want and don't give it up for adoption. Don't assume anything about my posts until you ask questions about it. But that question just sounded... jerky? Sorry, but I do take posts personally especially when someone has quoted me.  

KoopaTroopa18

Dapper Gekko

5,100 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Prinsesse Maggie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:13 pm
SSBrosM
Lady Yazoo
SSBrosM
Frog Juice

No. I'm saying that sometimes, some people don't even think about it.

I'm not implying that you are stupid if you have a child you don't want and don't give it up for adoption. Don't assume anything about my posts until you ask questions about it. But that question just sounded... jerky? Sorry, but I do take posts personally especially when someone has quoted me.

How do you suggest one ask what you meant in a less jerky way? I don't read it as jerky at all and it asks the same question that I was thinking when I read your post.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:45 pm
SSBrosM
Frog Juice

Stupidity often has nothing to do with it. There is a HUGE social stigma attached to giving up a child for adoption. What do you say to all your coworkers when they ask "where the baby went"?

And having had to give up pets because I was unable to care for them, I can tell you what a painful process it is. There are a LOT of issues with adoption to consider and saying that they were just too "stupid" to think of it is oversimplifying, imo.  

Akhakhu

Pro-Choice Gaians

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces