Reply Pro-Choice Gaians
Newspaper article for your entertainment/anger

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lelas

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:22 pm
I thought you all would enjoy reading this crazy article I found in my copy of the Birmingham News.

Kathleen Parker
Abortion Chic
http://www.townhall.com/columnists/KathleenParker/2006/10/06/abortion_chic

As public relations campaigns go, proudly proclaiming ``We Had Abortions'' probably isn't going to win any Addy awards.

Such is the gist of Ms. Magazine's current campaign to thwart trends toward curtailment of abortion. The Oct. 10 issue of the feminist magazine features a cover story titled ``We Had Abortions,'' as well as a petition signed by thousands of women who, well, have had abortions.

And who are not one bit sorry.

The campaign was organized to put a woman's face on abortion, as Ms. Magazine publisher Eleanor Smeal put it, and as a counterpunch to pro-life testimonials from women who regretted their abortions.

The fact that many women feel shame, guilt and loss -- and are willing to say so -- has created a snag in the fabric of pro-choice arguments that focus only on the technical aspect of abortion.

On Wednesday, Smeal told MSNBC's Tucker Carlson that abortion is ``a medical procedure, that's obvious.''

Actually, it's not obvious. Abortion certainly involves medical personnel and equipment, but the result is something more than merely medical. It is also human -- or more to the point -- inhuman.

To put an accurate face on abortion would require something that strict pro-choicers refuse to acknowledge: That abortion really has three faces -- that of the mother, the father, and that of the ... what do we call it? Fetus is so South Park these days. How about the quirky ``products of conception from your termination''?

That's how hospital administrators a few years ago in Glasgow, Scotland, labeled the post-abortion remains from Nicola McManus, who had induced the miscarriage of her nine-week-old ``baby,'' as I prefer to call it, upon taking the RU486 ``abortion pill.''

McManus was startled to discover the remains in a jar resting on a shelf in her hospital room. Her outrage at the careless hospital staff brought tears and the sort of statement Ms. & Co. prefer not to hear: ``Women need more counseling before abortions, not less,'' said McManus. ``I will never get over what happened to me.''

A nine-week-old fetus, for the record, has a heartbeat, a closed circulatory system, a respiratory system, eyes, ears and brain function. She can't go shopping yet, but she can squint, swallow, move her tongue and make a fist. She is not, in other words, ``just a clump of cells.''

The problem with petitions and ``I Had An Abortion'' T-shirts, such as those hawked by Planned Parenthood, is that they trivialize the deeply emotional and spiritual consequences many women suffer. They also deny girls and young women access to the nobler feminist position that knowledge is power.

We insist on informed consent for appendectomies or tooth extractions, but not abortions. As a result, American daughters now coming of age will see only the go-girl aspect of sexual freedom without the whoa-mama revelation of maternal awe.

The latter isn't learned from a textbook, but is experienced during that moment of personal reckoning when one realizes that a fetus is unequivocally a baby. My own transformative thinking -- from an unflinching pro-choicer to a disclaiming pro-lifer -- came with childbirth and motherhood.

After experiencing the humbling power of creation, it was impossible for me to view abortion as anything but the taking of a life. That is the truer lesson feminism should impart to its little sisters.

Now for the painful disclaimer I hinted at above. It begins with ``Nevertheless,'' and ends with ``I am reluctantly pro-choice.'' The very bottom line is that abortion ultimately is a personal decision. That said, I favor far stricter limits than most pro-choicers, beginning with ``six weeks and time's up.''

I figure 42 days is enough time for a gal to figure out whether she's up for motherhood. It's not a perfect solution, but it's a sane remedy to appalling recklessness.

As I differ with pro-choicers, I also differ with pro-lifers who insist that once abortion is outlawed, hearts and minds will follow. It is more likely that abortion will continue, but will become more dangerous and even more hideous.

Hearts and minds indeed must be changed, and feminists -- if they really care about women -- should lead the charge. By showing and telling the unfiltered truth, abortion eventually will die of natural causes.

Flaunting abortion on T-shirts and petitions may make for radical fashion, but the models and signatories aren't likely to sway people in the hoped-for way. For beneath the message is a callousness that merely reiterates the lack of empathy implicit in every abortion. Likely few will be inclined to award empathy in return.

Kathleen Parker is a popular syndicated columnist and director of the School of Written Expression at the Buckley School of Public Speaking and Persuasion in Camden, South Carolina.

*sigh*

Well, I wrote in to the editorials page late yesterday--I wasn't published today, but I might still have a chance. *crosses fingers* Anyway, I'd like ya'll to read what I wrote and reassure me that I left little out...or that it works...or at least that it's better than nothing. I hope it gets published...man...

I
Kathleen Parker, on Monday, you as good as accused pro-choicers of chanting "We had an abortion" at the fetal sacrifice altar. Far from it; this campaign is emotional support for women who have had abortions—protection from the fundamentalist segment of society that would have these women feeling guilt and loss for the rest of their lives.

You cannot in the same breath call for more lengthy consideration of the consequences of abortion, while shouting "six weeks and time's up!" 42 days is hardly time enough for a woman to make the biggest decision of her life, especially considering many don't know they're pregnant until fairly late term.

What exceptions would you make after 6 weeks, Ms. Parker? Life endangerment, rape, incest? Where does it end, who gets to decide? What about circumstances you can't predict or understand?

Instead of merely changing public opinion (read: turning the political climate weepy and factually ambiguous), you could also encourage abstinence along with birth control use. Preventing the need for abortion lets everyone win: the unborn, teen mothers, and taxpayers all.

Knowledge truly is power. Abortion is a personal decision, and that's true far longer than six weeks.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:24 pm
Scary article. I liked your response, though. This person calls themself pro-choice?  

PersephoneMediocris

The Velveteen Violinist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:38 pm
Hmph, that's pathetic. I think she's pro-life in disguise...  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:09 pm
WTF?

"By saying that some women don't experience guilt after an abortion, pro-choicers are denying the truth that some women do."

How the ******** does that make sense? Isn't SHE the one denying the truth? That some women DON'T?

Hypocrit.  

Akhakhu

Peppermint Schnapps

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:08 pm
She calls herself pro-choice, pfft. She's pro-youcanhaveanabortionunderthecircumstancesiseefit. This particular stance drives me insane.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:23 pm
I hate pro-choice-buts -- I really, really do. Only allowing abortions before six weeks of gestation? I am not entirely certain why she drew the line there, rather than the typical eight weeks.  

Asexual-Slut~Enya

Prinsesse Maggie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:45 am
By the time I found out I was pregnant, I had FAR fewer than 42 days to make any decision. That six weeks starts at ovulation, BEFORE you've even conceived much less had any reason to think you are pregnant! I had fortunately already made my decision, and called Planned Parenthood literally with the pregnancy test still in my hands. I made the first available appointment, and I was almost exactly at 6 weeks when it happened. So I guess anyone who actually has to think about it, and/or has to give notice at work before taking off a day to do it, and/or has a false negative test, and/or actually has a period the first month and doesn't have any reason to believe they are pregnant... is screwed.

I also fail to see how saying I don't regret my abortion trivializes anyone else's experience. There are certainly people who do regret their abortions, and there are people who regret giving their baby up for adoption, and people who regret keeping the baby, and people who regret all sorts of things. It's unfortunate, but the best thing we can do is give people choices. We can't guarantee everyone will make the best choice, but if there is no choice, you CAN guarantee it will not be the right option for everyone.

The only other thing I would have mentioned is that pro-choice has never been purely about the medical procedure. It's about the woman and her body. The fact that some people regret what they've done does not mean everyone will, and thus it should not negate bodily domain. There are even women out there who regret their own abortions but are still pro-choice because they are smart enough to know they don't represent everyone.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:29 am
I think you bring up a very good point. People regret decisions. This happens ALL the time. This happens with small things, like I regret that I ate too much for breakfast this morning and now I'm feeling like s**t. This can be with big things. For example, right after my mom bought her house, she discovered all this s**t wrong with it but it was too late and she'd already spent tons of money on it. This can also be with HUGE things like regretting having a child.

But just because some people regret their decisions doesn't mean that they shouldn't be allowed to make decisions. Just because it's generally accepted that eating fast foods and candy bars all the time is a bad choice doesn't mean that the government should ban everything except organically grown tofu.

That's even assuming that we all have the same chemistry and that no one will be allergic to tofu or that no one will need extra nutrition because of some deficiency and need something else.

It's assuming that there is a RIGHT answer for everyone. It's assuming that there is no variety.  

Akhakhu

Pro-Choice Gaians

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff