Reply Pro-Choice Gaians
You F*cking hypocrits. South Dakota Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

LemurOverlord

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:20 pm
There's an injunction against the ban, so, women in SD who need an abortion can get one still.
Its funny, the cry of South Dakota is the same as the cry of the Southern states in 1865 'States rights'. But instead of black slavery, its women's sexual and reproductive slavery.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:11 am
nobhdy
My second problem is this:

"Oh! Something isn't going my way, so I'm going to leave the country."

Congratulations, you have forsaken all the women who you've been so adamantly defending this entire time. You should be proud...
To be perfectly honest, I'm a ******** coward. The thought of living in a country where it's okay to deny me rights based on who and what I am terrifies me, and the thought of accepting life in a country NOT MY OWN that's run my hypocrites disgusts me.

The current law proposed bans abortion across the board. That includes rape victims. What happens to those women? What's going to happen when they're forced to carry and birth the child of a man who violated them? Do you know what it feels like to have your body used against your will? Do you? It's not fun. Even if it isn't "rape," it leaves scars, and the proposed law gives no out for women to escape the emotional trauma of rape.

So yes, I intend to leave the United States once I'm of age. And yes, I'm running away, because I'm afraid. But as it so happens, I'm British by upbringing. It wasn't until after I had started school that my family moved to the states. So it's not so much running away as it is going home, at least to me, but you obviously see it differently.  

Calixti

Lupine Pyrefly

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:25 am
I don't think that they'll actually get Roe vs. Wade overturned. All the same, it's pretty scary.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:50 pm
The Indubitable Katie-Kat
That ******** ban hasn't been overturned yet?!??!

WHAT. THE. ******** far are these people's heads up their asses that they can FAIL to see how much harm this is doing? Oh my god, I just lost all faith in my country.

That settles it. When I'm out of college, I'm ditching the US and going back to England. evil

Please, take me with you! gonk  

TheDemonNurse

LadyInWhite

3,800 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:23 pm
Stupid. Damn stupid. And people wonder why we hate antis with a vengence.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:58 pm
I can't believe the ban is still in effect. It's terrifying. And now the Patriot Act has been passed into law, taking away our rights protecting us against illegal searches and seizures and our right to privacy. If things keep going the way they're going now, we'll be living in a Nazi Germany-style US soon.  

Kristoya

Akhakhu

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:17 pm
nobhdy - I left the US because of this and other s**t (for example the lack of affordable medical care). You want to make something of it?

And I don't have to be wallowing in s**t streams to help women. I am registered to vote and I do vote at EVERY election. It's called an absentee ballot. I'd suggest you look it up before you pull this high and mighty s**t.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:30 pm
nobhdy
I strongly feel that that fear is unfounded. Being well-versed in constitutional law, I really don't think that it can be, regardless of people's personal beliefs. That is not grounds for overturning a supreme court precedent. Come on, can you imagine the majority opinion that they would write?

Chief Justice Roberts: "I am overturning Roe v Wade not on account of legal standards or even stare decisis, but rather strictly on the grounds that I believe it is wrong"

Goddamn. I wish people would stop saying that. They decide cases based on law, not on belief. Its the supreme court, for God's sake.

Okay, then there are some cases - off the top of my head - which really need to be explained to me if the Supreme Court doesn't overturn precedent based on belief, some of which are incredibly pertinent to this debate:

Casey v. Planned Parenthood
Lawrence v. Texas
Brown v. Board of Ed.
Bush v. Gore

Or, heck, why don't we just pick a case at random from the sordid history of 4th Amendment search and seizure jurisprudence. I'm trying to think of a single thing which the Rehnquist court didn't screw around with (and of course, a fair bit of what they were screwing around with was more-or-less created out of near-thin air under the Warren court).

And anyway, everybody knows that cases are rarely overturned out of the blue. SCOTUS almost always leads up to it through a series of cases which erode the undesired precedent's legal underpinnings before finally overturning the problematic case. That was how Roe was built up, and if they ever overturn it that's how it's going to be torn down.

The Supreme Court has always paid a lot of lip service to stare decisis, but I've rarely seen it hold people back when they wanted something overturned, and even when it did hold people back stare decisis usually rated only a concurrence.

I agree that they're probably not going to overturn Roe yet, but I disagree with the reason you've given. I think they're not going to overturn Roe because they don't need to overturn it - Roe was basically gutted by Casey, anyway. They just need to stick with Casey and keep determining that any of the various things states try to do don't create "undue burdens".  

Tahpenes

Quotable Shapeshifter

10,900 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Champion 300
  • Olympian 200

WatersMoon110

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:13 pm
LemurOverlord
Its funny, the cry of South Dakota is the same as the cry of the Southern states in 1865 'States rights'. But instead of black slavery, its women's sexual and reproductive slavery.

I do support states rights (like the right of Nevada to legalize prostitution, or the right of Vermont to have Gay Civil Unions, or the right of California to legalize medical marijuana), but using the idea to support denying rights to others is horrible.

Why is it that those who scream "states rights" the loudest are always trying to treat some group as less than human?  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:44 am
nobhdy

My second problem is this:

"Oh! Something isn't going my way, so I'm going to leave the country."

Congratulations, you have forsaken all the women who you've been so adamantly defending this entire time. You should be proud...

I don't have to be in a country to support the people that are oppressed there. People are oppressed in a lot of countries I'm not in, and I try to find ways to do what I can. Not everyone is in a position physically, emotionally, financially, etc. to put up with the oppression themselves. It's awesome if you can stick it out, and I have a lot of respect for that, but to put down those who can't honestly makes me sick. In fact, you might actually be able to help more from the outside BECAUSE you aren't oppressed where you are. Perhaps a woman who is not burdened with a pregnancy and the raising of an unwanted child, because she had the ability to get an abortion where she lives, has more time and energy to fight for the women who didn't get that choice....  

Prinsesse Maggie

Pro-Choice Gaians

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces