Do you remember that statistic?
  Yes - and here is the link:
  Yes - but not the link
  What are you talking about?
  A fish (for the surrealists)
View Results

WatersMoon110

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:51 am
So I'm in this debate on YouTube, and I was hoping that someone could give me the link (which was in the Debate a long while ago) about the number of people who get abortions but are morally opposed to abortion.

The comments on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/comment_servlet?all_comments&v=cDJX5onFX5o&fromurl=/watch?v=cDJX5onFX5o

Thank you!  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:00 am
http://www.prochoiceactionnetwork-canada.org/articles/anti-tales.shtml  

Nethilia

Liberal Member

3,450 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Person of Interest 200

WatersMoon110

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:06 am
I found this: http://mypage.direct.ca/w/writer/anti-tales.html article through Google. But any others would be loved!  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:08 am
Nethilia

Thanks! Same article, different site!

I found a nice one (somewhere) that stated that a lot of Catholics get abortions, but didn't directly talk about if those Catholics were Pro-Life or not.  

WatersMoon110

nobhdy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:31 pm
WatersMoon110
Nethilia

Thanks! Same article, different site!

I found a nice one (somewhere) that stated that a lot of Catholics get abortions, but didn't directly talk about if those Catholics were Pro-Life or not.

Interesting isn't it? Almost all Catholics I've ever met are democrats. They are all, as a rule, very liberal economically speaking. The only reason they go over to the republican side, ever, is because of moral issues that are made a big deal of out of the republican side.

Believe it or not, between pro-lifers and pro-choicers it is split down the middle, but they are almost all democrats.

(I am not speaking for every part of the country, just this one. I don't have any surveys, just hundreds upon hundreds of people that I know.)

Its probably because the priest here is very liberal, and they do what he says. That would account for the high numbers.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:28 pm
I'd love to be an abortionist. I'd deny those women abortions based on my "Moral belief that people should hold strong to their morals." then kick them out the door and shout at their little friends "THIS SLUT JUST ASKED FOR AN ABORTION!" -even if she was married or in a long term relationship. It's insane how that logic works. "My abortion is okay, but NO ONE ELSE DESERVES ONE."

Articles like that make me sad. Imagine the shame those women felt. I hope they were ashamed, hiding behind their signs, acting like they never exercised their own reproductive right.  

October Cross

Fluffy Conventioneer

5,300 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Flatterer 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

WatersMoon110

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:02 pm
October Cross
I'd love to be an abortionist. I'd deny those women abortions based on my "Moral belief that people should hold strong to their morals." then kick them out the door and shout at their little friends "THIS SLUT JUST ASKED FOR AN ABORTION!" -even if she was married or in a long term relationship. It's insane how that logic works. "My abortion is okay, but NO ONE ELSE DESERVES ONE."

Articles like that make me sad. Imagine the shame those women felt. I hope they were ashamed, hiding behind their signs, acting like they never exercised their own reproductive right.

Wow - that was angry.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:09 pm
There was an article about a woman like that in Seventeen a while ago. This girl got pregnant and her mom, who's very religious and pro-life, made her get an abortion. I was just like " . . . WTF?"  

Freedom Fire

Pandora Box

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:25 pm
There's also this article by a woman who was actively pro-life until she got pregnant, and she talks about herself and the other women like her.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:46 pm
http://atheism.about.com/b/a/252790.htm Biased site. The organization that did the study charges 30 bucks to read it. I can't find much information on the organization, but if it is worth its salt it describes in detail how the data was acquired which would legitimize it. I'm not about to pay 30 bucks to find out if they're worth their salt.  

Talon-chan

PhaedraMcSpiffy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:20 pm
Pandora Box
There's also this article by a woman who was actively pro-life until she got pregnant, and she talks about herself and the other women like her.

I hadn't read that one. Thank you for sharing it! That's a very powerful story.

And regarding Seventeen Magazine, they DID have that story. It really pissed me off that the girl was forced into it, had NO idea what was going on during the procedure (and was terrified), and that immediately after, she began to go back to being anti-choice. And she was obviously given nothing but abstinence-only "education". Gah.

So for this, and because of their disturbingly underinformative articles about real issues, like sex*, I'm very disappointed in Seventeen. They're good for the shallow stuff, and I suppose they do TRY to introduce important topics to girls, but they fail. It's probably because their audience is stupid teenaged girls, but still...

And their new Real Life Stories-type article this month is, I s**t you not:

"Lesbian Killers"

I'm serious. It's about a lesbian girl who killed her grandparents because they forbade her to see her girlfriend.

Great image you're spreading, Seventeen. Way to go. rolleyes

*Their sex articles are all "Don't do it, don't do it, you will die if you do, STDs are everywhere, it ruins your life, it's evil, every religion ever says not to, it's stupid, it's gross, (birthcontrol/stdprevention) it destroys your self esteem, it makes you depressed, don't do it, you're not ready yet, DON'T DO IT!"  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:01 pm
WatersMoon110
October Cross

Wow - that was angry.

Yeah. I felt the need to vent that one out to you guys. It really gets me going when women like that exercise their right to an abortion reguardless of the situation and then try to deny other women that same right. That'd be like me being able to recieve welfare but denying everyone else the same and calling them "Lazy a** unemployed jerks."  

October Cross

Fluffy Conventioneer

5,300 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Flatterer 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

WatersMoon110

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:52 pm
October Cross
WatersMoon110
October Cross

Wow - that was angry.

Yeah. I felt the need to vent that one out to you guys. It really gets me going when women like that exercise their right to an abortion reguardless of the situation and then try to deny other women that same right. That'd be like me being able to recieve welfare but denying everyone else the same and calling them "Lazy a** unemployed jerks."

Venting is healthy. It is far better that you vent in here about something that bugs you (and the "My Abortion is the ONLY Moral Abortion" Syndrom really bothers me also) than that you don't and eventually explode and kill some Pro-Lifer who gets an abortion then goes back to picketing the clinic that gave it to her, or run her down and take her sign even.

It sucks that there are some people who aren't willing to live up to the standards they hold everyone else up to. On a better note, I have a Pro-Life aquantence who got unexpectedly pregnant and is living by her morals (which actually rather suprised me, I never figured that she would in that situation - frankly I'm proud of her for doing so).  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:53 pm
PhaedraMcSpiffy
Pandora Box

I hadn't read that one. Thank you for sharing it! That's a very powerful story.

And regarding Seventeen Magazine, they DID have that story. It really pissed me off that the girl was forced into it, had NO idea what was going on during the procedure (and was terrified), and that immediately after, she began to go back to being anti-choice. And she was obviously given nothing but abstinence-only "education". Gah.

So for this, and because of their disturbingly underinformative articles about real issues, like sex*, I'm very disappointed in Seventeen. They're good for the shallow stuff, and I suppose they do TRY to introduce important topics to girls, but they fail. It's probably because their audience is stupid teenaged girls, but still...

And their new Real Life Stories-type article this month is, I s**t you not:

"Lesbian Killers"

I'm serious. It's about a lesbian girl who killed her grandparents because they forbade her to see her girlfriend.

Great image you're spreading, Seventeen. Way to go. rolleyes

*Their sex articles are all "Don't do it, don't do it, you will die if you do, STDs are everywhere, it ruins your life, it's evil, every religion ever says not to, it's stupid, it's gross, (birthcontrol/stdprevention) it destroys your self esteem, it makes you depressed, don't do it, you're not ready yet, DON'T DO IT!"

Personally, I think that most magazines for teen females are pretty stupid, and sometimes downright damaging. Actually, I have a low opinion of magazines in general. I like gardening catalogs, if that counts.  

WatersMoon110

October Cross

Fluffy Conventioneer

5,300 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Flatterer 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:54 am
WatersMoon110
October Cross
WatersMoon110
October Cross

Wow - that was angry.

Venting is healthy. It is far better that you vent in here about something that bugs you (and the "My Abortion is the ONLY Moral Abortion" Syndrom really bothers me also) than that you don't and eventually explode and kill some Pro-Lifer who gets an abortion then goes back to picketing the clinic that gave it to her, or run her down and take her sign even.

It sucks that there are some people who aren't willing to live up to the standards they hold everyone else up to. On a better note, I have a Pro-Life aquantence who got unexpectedly pregnant and is living by her morals (which actually rather suprised me, I never figured that she would in that situation - frankly I'm proud of her for doing so).

Give her a pair of baby booties from me. I'm proud of her too.

LOL @ the run down/sign steal thing. Are you talking about the youtube chick? Man was she angry. I felt bad, but not really that bad. I just wish she had something along the lines of "THIS IS NOT SOCIALLY ACCEPTABLE! HOW DARE THEY SHOW MUTILATED FETUSES TO PWESHUS LITTLE CHILDREN!!!"  
Pro-Choice Gaians

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff