Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply Pro-Choice Gaians
Why are Catholic hospitals allowed to deny medications? Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lord Setar

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:43 pm
Hospitals are obliged to care for any patient, no matter, what their problem is, so why are Catholic-run hospitals allowed to deny patients the morning after pill? That's like allowing a Christian Science person to be a doctor and deny treatment to people =/  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:24 pm
o__o Better stay the ******** away from THOSE hospitals.....
Are they church-funded or state-funded?  

pidgezero_one

Original Fatcat

10,775 Points
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Clambake 200

Reinna Astarel

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:54 pm
Because they're shpeshul like that.

It it's a privately own hospital, honestly, they can deny whatever the ******** they want, I believe. If I were lactose intolerant, and for whatever reason, opened a supermarket, I guess I could just refuse to sell milk or other dairy products to the general populace.

Pretty damn stupid to do so, though.

If it's a PUBLIC hospital, they should have their asses nailed.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:30 pm
Reinna Astarel
Because they're shpeshul like that.

It it's a privately own hospital, honestly, they can deny whatever the ******** they want, I believe. If I were lactose intolerant, and for whatever reason, opened a supermarket, I guess I could just refuse to sell milk or other dairy products to the general populace.

Pretty damn stupid to do so, though.

If it's a PUBLIC hospital, they should have their asses nailed.
Especially if your supermarket is the only one available to the public for miles and miles and there are infants in need of formula hence in need of milk. OH NOES!  

Talon-chan

Half Baked SF

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:46 pm
Because people seem to think it's okay to take a certain job despite morals getting in the way of it.

Does this mean I can start working in a maternity ward and refuse to deliver babies for moral reasons?  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:23 pm
Honestly, I REALLY want to convert to Buddhism and move down South. I would get a job in a supermarket and refuse to ring up people's meat purchases because I "morally object to the eating of animal flesh."  

Akhakhu

October Cross

Fluffy Conventioneer

5,300 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Flatterer 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:40 am
I should start sending people away from my night audit desk at the Hotel when they come in on the grounds that "I'm morally opposed to people paying to sleep."  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:57 pm
Because, regardless of what many Christians and conservatives want you to think, they still have the upper hand. At least, in America they do (I'm not going to speak for other countries because I don't live there and I never have). Christians have always had a special status.  

Deformography

Liberal Genius

2,950 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Wall Street 200

.[E]xplicit[R]esidue.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:54 pm
Because God says they can? Honestly I didn't even know there was such thing as a Catholic hospital. I thought they were just coincidently named after saints. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:06 pm
1. Christian Scientists would never be a doctor because it is against their beliefs.

2. Why are they obliged to be forced to do something that find to be morally wrong and would go to Hell because of it? If you think everything should be run by the ******** government then you're a communist.

Don't like the privately owned Catholic run hospital? Then go to a public hospital.  

SterileNeedles

PhaedraMcSpiffy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:48 pm
Stop using communist to insult people. Thr fifties are over, although a*****e conservatives may lead you to beleive otherwise.

If you can't dispense birth control and comprehensive sex education, you have no business working in the field of medicine. That'd be like me working at a butcher shop and refusing to sell meat.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:53 pm
PhaedraMcSpiffy
Stop using communist to insult people. Thr fifties are over, although a*****e conservatives may lead you to beleive otherwise.

If you can't dispense birth control and comprehensive sex education, you have no business working in the field of medicine. That'd be like me working at a butcher shop and refusing to sell meat.

I'm sorry I just fail to understand why liberal democrats think that everything should be run by the government, or why the government should regulate privately owned businesses. It sounds communist to me.

Obviously it goes against that hospital's moral beliefs and policies to give out something that they believe kills human beings (it is a Catholic owned and run hospital after all). So the people working there are not obligated to give out any kind of EC or BC. However if it did not go against their policies/morals and someone was refusing EC/BC to a patient the hospital has every right to fire said person.

Since it is a butcher's job to sell meat they should be selling meat, if they choose not to sell meat because of their own moral beliefs and it goes against the policy of the company they have every right to fire them.

Privately owned companies/businesses have every right to run their company the way they want to run it. They can deny certain services to anyone and can even deny certain services to certain people. But you also have a right to choose not to go to that place and boycott it. I don't understand why someone who hates Catholiscism and disagrees with what they are doing would go to this place at all to try and recieve EC or BC. It just seems stupid so why are you complaining? It's not like there aren't other places to go to, Planned Parenthood for one you can guarantee that they will give you what you need/want.  

SterileNeedles

PhaedraMcSpiffy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:42 pm
SterileNeedles
PhaedraMcSpiffy

I'm sorry I just fail to understand why liberal democrats think that everything should be run by the government, or why the government should regulate privately owned businesses. It sounds communist to me.

Obviously it goes against that hospital's moral beliefs and policies to give out something that they believe kills human beings (it is a Catholic owned and run hospital after all). So the people working there are not obligated to give out any kind of EC or BC. However if it did not go against their policies/morals and someone was refusing EC/BC to a patient the hospital has every right to fire said person.

Since it is a butcher's job to sell meat they should be selling meat, if they choose not to sell meat because of their own moral beliefs and it goes against the policy of the company they have every right to fire them.

Privately owned companies/businesses have every right to run their company the way they want to run it. They can deny certain services to anyone and can even deny certain services to certain people. But you also have a right to choose not to go to that place and boycott it. I don't understand why someone who hates Catholiscism and disagrees with what they are doing would go to this place at all to try and recieve EC or BC. It just seems stupid so why are you complaining? It's not like there aren't other places to go to, Planned Parenthood for one you can guarantee that they will give you what you need/want.

I don't want everything to be run by the government. That's not communist, that's totalitarian. And it scares the living s**t outta me. I do, however, think that there need to be some restrictions on how businesses are run. (Like controls on how much they pollute and other, more specific laws for safety and such.) But I do see your point. It's largely up to consumers to make decisions on the way businesses are run.

What I'm worried about is when people can't just go someplace else. What if you live in a rural area with only one hospital nearby?

There's also a huge shortage of Planned Parenthoods and other organizations of that nature.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:16 pm
PhaedraMcSpiffy
I don't want everything to be run by the government. That's not communist, that's totalitarian. And it scares the living s**t outta me. I do, however, think that there need to be some restrictions on how businesses are run. (Like controls on how much they pollute and other, more specific laws for safety and such.) But I do see your point. It's largely up to consumers to make decisions on the way businesses are run.

What I'm worried about is when people can't just go someplace else. What if you live in a rural area with only one hospital nearby?

There's also a huge shortage of Planned Parenthoods and other organizations of that nature.

Well yes of course, safety laws and such make perfect sense, as well as laws about pollution because those things can affect and/or harm other people.

Well if they are determined to get their emergency contraception then they may have to drive a bit. I myself drove way out in my state just to get EC because the closest clinic I could find was over on the other side of town. Their website even guaranteed that there would be no protestors and they were right! xd It was like a little hidden abortion clinic in between a few other small business buildings.

That's interesting to hear considering how many pro-choicers there are. Maybe people could work hard to help build public hospitals/other medical facilities for doctors in rural areas so that women can get the treatment they want. Like, pro-choicers could make a charity to fund for a non-religious hospital to be built in those areas.  

SterileNeedles

zawazawaii

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:08 pm
I honestly would be a bit afraid of a privately owned hospital.

Maybe its just me, but that still kinda creeps me out.

sweatdrop gonk

Pro-Choice Gaians

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces