Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

nobhdy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:41 pm
Tragic Christmas
nobhdy
PhaedraMcSpiffy

Quote:
IMHO, it is partly the person's fault for the rape.

....................................Get out.

Actually, alot of people think that. My friend who was raped thinks that it is almost always partly the victim's fault, even in her own case. In case you want to know, she's an athiest and an anarchist.

So there are a lot of misogynists out there. Do they want a ******** cookie?

It's not uncommon for victims to have a skewed perspective of rape after their experience. They often do blame themselves, and it doesn't exactly help to have idiots reinforce that attitude.

For the record, she felt that way before-hand, as well. I'd rather you didn't call her an idiot for thinking that way, thank you kindly.

Just because somebody doesn't think identically to you on every issue that comes up doesn't make them an evil, and it certainly doesn't make them an idiot.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:27 am
nobhdy
Tragic Christmas
nobhdy
PhaedraMcSpiffy

Quote:

....................................Get out.

Actually, alot of people think that. My friend who was raped thinks that it is almost always partly the victim's fault, even in her own case. In case you want to know, she's an athiest and an anarchist.

So there are a lot of misogynists out there. Do they want a ******** cookie?

It's not uncommon for victims to have a skewed perspective of rape after their experience. They often do blame themselves, and it doesn't exactly help to have idiots reinforce that attitude.

For the record, she felt that way before-hand, as well. I'd rather you didn't call her an idiot for thinking that way, thank you kindly.

Just because somebody doesn't think identically to you on every issue that comes up doesn't make them an evil, and it certainly doesn't make them an idiot.

She's still a ******** idiot, and if I met her in person, I'd tell her to her face.

It's no one's fault that they were raped. I know a man who was drugged, beaten and raped, then left for dead. He blames himself for letting himself get into that situation. By that, I mean go to a good friend's house when he was grieving, and accept a drink. He did nothing wrong. It does not mean it's his fault in any way, shape or form.  

MipsyKitten
Crew

Veled
Captain

Quotable Conventioneer

8,000 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:36 am
As long as we've dealing with rats in the nest . . . I would like to remind folk that a good PM sent to me or another of the PCG mod crew gets rid of these people just as well as bitching at them.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:48 am
Veled
As long as we've dealing with rats in the nest . . . I would like to remind folk that a good PM sent to me or another of the PCG mod crew gets rid of these people just as well as bitching at them.

If you ask me to leave the guild I will kindly leave. I apologize that my veiws and ideas do not correlate with everyone else's here. And if being a liberal democrat is a required trait to be in this guild then I probably should leave.

So just ask me in a PM Veled or anyone else and I will quietly leave.  

SterileNeedles

MipsyKitten
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:37 am
SterileNeedles
Veled

If you ask me to leave the guild I will kindly leave. I apologize that my veiws and ideas do not correlate with everyone else's here. And if being a liberal democrat is a required trait to be in this guild then I probably should leave.

So just ask me in a PM Veled or anyone else and I will quietly leave.

Then go if that's going to be your attitude from now on, because I'm not going to ban you and make you a martyr.

You know damn well that you don't have to have a set stance on anything. It's your attitude and the way you're quick to, "well SOOORRY if I have an opinion, I'll just sit here and try to make myself look like a damaged little puppy, knowing damn well I started it".  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:25 am
MipsyKitten
Then go if that's going to be your attitude from now on, because I'm not going to ban you and make you a martyr.

You know damn well that you don't have to have a set stance on anything. It's your attitude and the way you're quick to, "well SOOORRY if I have an opinion, I'll just sit here and try to make myself look like a damaged little puppy, knowing damn well I started it".

How on earth would she be a martyr? Would everybody else in the guild say, "oh! how dare you ban SterileNeedles?"

I simply do not think that this is the case.

As for me, I don't apologize for anything that I've said. I just would like you all to open your eyes to other, logical, perspectives. As far as "rats in the nest," I thought the only requirement for joining this guild was being pro-choice. I wholeheartedly agree with you on that, but I disagree with you on other issues.

If you guys really want me to leave, then I happily will. I just wanted to join you in intelligent debate on various issues. Possible to open your eyes to other rational perspectives that you hadn't heard. I didn't mean for it to degenerate into this mean-spirited debate that it currently is.

I will leave, but I won't apologize.  

nobhdy

Tragic Christmas
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:03 pm
nobhdy

I must've missed the memo where ignoring common sense suddenly didn't make someone an idiot. What kind of twisted and contrived reasoning do you have to use to claim that a victim is responsible for being savagely attacked? If one has to use the pathetic excuse that she was dressed or acting in a provocative manner, then it's obvious that the person is utterly incapable of understanding the concepts of exercising self-control and respecting human rights.

It no longer becomes an issue of simple disagreement when a collection of ignorant opinions fuel fire to an already stigmatized issue. Nice try.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:52 am
To clarify:

NOBODY is 'at fault' for being raped.

She did not have it coming because she dared to dress a certain way.
She did not ask to have sex forced on her because she bought a beer.
She did not deserve to get dragged into an alley for being out at night.

Once you begin to believe that women 'cause' their problems because they exercise certain rights of theirs, then it's a quick slippery slope to insisting that women deserve everything bad that happens to them for any imagined slights, from having sex to going to a mostly male college.

That's not what this place is about. ******** why it happened, we're here to help deal with the aftermath. Anything else is passing judgement on the 'sluts' of society, and to be quite frank, the word doesn't mean what it did 20 years ago.

We can always define a rape victim, or a pregnant woman, or a fetus, because there are standard criteria to define such things.
We cannot define a 'slut'. It is an opinion.

And ******** basing laws on opinions.  

Veled
Captain

Quotable Conventioneer

8,000 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300

The Velveteen Violinist

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:29 pm
I agree with Veled. Is it MY fault for being sexually harrassed because I seem quiet, petite and demure?

Then those that did that to me should not be blamed- no, it was MY fault, I had it coming! rolleyes  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:27 pm
gossamer!smile.

IMHO, ******** you.

When did it become "trendy" to accuse victims and defend aggressors?

I sincerely hope that your words never come back to haunt you. I hope that you will never be in a position where you are violated and someone uses your body against your will. I do, however, hope that you someday grow past this hateful and disgusting worldview.

gossamer!smile.
A person could be bad at history but be ******** brilliant when it comes to math. You can't base a person's intelligence on one subject/opinion. Why do you think IQ tests, the SATs and other things of the sort cover more than one thing at a time?

You may be good at history, but you are an idiot when it comes to realizing that victims do NOT need to be further victimized by assholes like you saying "well, you deserved it because it was your fault."

gossamer!smile.
Yes.
How dare they have opinions.
We should crucify- better yet, burn them for their opinions.
Kinda like an inquisition of sorts?

Yes.
We should all follow your example and take everything out of context!

Did you read what she said? Honestly? You may be a real whizz at math, but this post has shown you to be near brain-dead when it comes to reading and logical thinking.

Having an opinion is one thing. Having an opinion that is based on LIES, MISINFORMATION, and HATRED of a particular gender and then trying to FORCE everyone else to abide by that opinion, however, is something else entirely.  

Akhakhu

WatersMoon110

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:02 am
My PM
[gossamer]!smile.
WatersMoon110
gossamer!smile.

Why?

~AJ~

Well- first of realize what partly means.
Partly means that it's only a little their fault.
Most of the blame goes onto the rapist.
But, for instance, if a 12 year old girl decides to pose
as an 18 year old and hands out her house adress etc. etc.,
then gets raped because of it...well, that's partly her fault.
Yeah- sure the rapist should'nt have raped her, but still.
If she didn't give out her adress, it wouldn't have happend:
this it was partly her fault.

Now, this doesn't apply for everyone.
A woman walking to her house during day light
that gets knocked out, dragged off then raped has no blame.
But a woman that accepts a drink from a stranger at a bar,
then gets date raped...heh. Let's just say
"you shouldn't take candy from strangers" applies here.

Any other questions? comments? Feel free to give them.

When someone who has been raped considers it to be "their fault" (partially or completely) this often turns into "what they deserve" and they will put themself in situations where rape is possible again.

Saying that sometimes the victim of a rape made bad choices is acceptible. Assigning blame to them is not. The ENTIRE REASON that a rape occurs is because the rapist choose to rape someone. If he (or, on the rare occasion, she) had not chosen to do this, the rape would not have occured. Telling someone who has suffered because of someone else's bad choice that they are (partially) at fault is unhealthy both for them and for you.

No one "deserves" to be raped. If this is correct (as I will assert that it is), then it doesn't matter what the victim is doing, they do not deserve to be raped. Even if you were completely naked, laying in an alleyway, and holding a sign that said "PLEASE RAPE ME", you would not deserve to be raped.

There are bad choices that can lead to rape (or in other situations can lead to being grounded or lead to nothing at all). And sometimes the victim of rape must learn important lessons (like don't give out personal information on the internet). But assigning fault is not helpful. Even if someone made a (series of) bad choice(s), they do not deserve to be raped. Assigning any blame to a victim of rape IS saying that they partially deserved it.

And that is why, every time you (or some other person acting like a jerk) does this, you are going to be viciously attacked by people who believe that telling someone they (partially) deserved to be raped is very, very wrong.

~AJ~

Pro-Choice Gaians

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces