If I see one more straw man set ablaze... Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Tenth Speed Writer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:07 pm
I'm going to vomit.

To anyone here: If it's within you to do it, please make honest arguments. Stop pulling out the worst-of-the-worst from the PL side, dressing them up as absolute idiots, and stating that their entire argument is based on this.

They do this, you shouldn't.

-.-... I've wanted to say that for weeks now.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:15 pm
The majority of us say this, but we do occasionally slip up. Granted, I haven't been around the past two months, so I don't really know we we've been up to.  

Sypherengel

MipsyKitten
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:35 am
Please point out to me where any anti-choicer has come out with any argument that doesn't have anything to do with religion, 'their mommy said so'. they're poor comprehension of the constitution, their blatent disregard for born women's lives, or thier own ignorance.

When they stop being complete morons, I'll stop treating them as such. That won't happen until they realise that their morals do not apply to my ******** uterus.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:51 am
Also bear in mind that, when we are talking to regulars, we often know their arguments inside and out. Someone who doesn't come into the abortion topic often may think that we are using strawmen, but we are actually responding to other views of the individual that he hasn't mentioned yet this session.  

Akhakhu

Tenth Speed Writer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:44 am
MipsyKitten
Please point out to me where any anti-choicer has come out with any argument that doesn't have anything to do with religion, 'their mommy said so'. they're poor comprehension of the constitution, their blatent disregard for born women's lives, or thier own ignorance.

When they stop being complete morons, I'll stop treating them as such. That won't happen until they realise that their morals do not apply to my ******** uterus.

Even if it's true in most cases, don't assume from the start they act this way, or for that matter, approach it so aggressively. I've probably done a lot more approaching PL'ers in a calm, collected manner and showing them facts linked from neutral resources than flaming them for oppresssing women.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:30 am
Define "flaming."

Pointing out that their logic is clearly founded on the opinion that women with sex drives deserve to be punished but men don't isn't flaming, imo. And considering that some of the latest "zomg! You woman-hater!" posts that I've seen have been aimed at people who have said that rape victims obviously deserved to be raped because they were too stupid not to get themselves into a dangerous situation - I'd say telling them that they are woman-haters is entirely justified.  

Akhakhu

Tenth Speed Writer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:40 pm
Kukushka
Define "flaming."

Pointing out that their logic is clearly founded on the opinion that women with sex drives deserve to be punished but men don't isn't flaming, imo. And considering that some of the latest "zomg! You woman-hater!" posts that I've seen have been aimed at people who have said that rape victims obviously deserved to be raped because they were too stupid not to get themselves into a dangerous situation - I'd say telling them that they are woman-haters is entirely justified.

And I would say that situationally this is acceptable, but approaching every argument with that attitude is only going to drive them further into their metaphorical holes.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:30 am
addseale2
MipsyKitten

Even if it's true in most cases, don't assume from the start they act this way, or for that matter, approach it so aggressively. I've probably done a lot more approaching PL'ers in a calm, collected manner and showing them facts linked from neutral resources than flaming them for oppresssing women.

Then you've obviously not been in the ED in a while. No one says anything about them opressing women unless they say somthing stupid first. For example, one person decided to tell someone they were partly at fault for their rape. Sorry, but that s**t doesn't fly.

I will not sugar coat my responces because it makes them feel threatened. I don't attack them personally. I go by what they post. If they post like a ******** moron, then I'll call them on it.

Again, the day they stop thinking their morals should be imposed on me, is the day I treat them with an ounce of the even lowest form of respect. Not a second sooner.  

MipsyKitten
Crew

Kristoya

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:30 pm
MipsyKitten

I completely agree. Being pro-life almost requires that you don't think about things (though there are exceptions). It IS possible to be pro-choice but against abortion. I know tons of people like that. And I believe Franklin was the one who said something along the lines of, I may not agree with what you're doing, but I'll defend to the death your right to do it. That statement completely applies to the abortion debate.
If the pro-lifers would THINK, they'd realize that they can't force their morals onto someone else, and that the right to choice cannot be taken away.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:36 pm
MipsyKitten

AMEN.

Pro-life is a disease easily cured with proper education, but easily contageous because the false propoganda is just so darned appealing to the intellectually dim witted. Very few pro-lifers are pro-life because after learning what abortion really is, after examining issues of rights, and after religious reflection it is something they still sincerely believe. KP, Iam, and a few others come to mind as being this rare sort (even if I disagree with what they believe). Random posters who scream about saline abortions, PBA abortions, and screaming babies at a 6 week abortion are the vast majority we encounter who need just a small dose of knowledge to cure their affliction.  

Talon-chan

October Cross

Fluffy Conventioneer

5,300 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Flatterer 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:18 pm
Talon-chan

Pro-life is a disease easily cured with proper education.

AMEN! QUOTED FOR UNDENIABLE TRUTH.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:37 pm
MipsyKitten
addseale2
MipsyKitten

Then you've obviously not been in the ED in a while. No one says anything about them opressing women unless they say somthing stupid first. For example, one person decided to tell someone they were partly at fault for their rape. Sorry, but that s**t doesn't fly.

IMHO, it is partly the person's fault for the rape.

Quote:
I will not sugar coat my responces because it makes them feel threatened. I don't attack them personally. I go by what they post. If they post like a ******** moron, then I'll call them on it.

A person could be bad at history but be ******** brilliant when it comes to math. You can't base a person's intelligence on one subject/opinion. Why do you think IQ tests, the SATs and other things of the sort cover more than one thing at a time?

Quote:
Again, the day they stop thinking their morals should be imposed on me, is the day I treat them with an ounce of the even lowest form of respect. Not a second sooner.

Yes.
How dare they have opinions.
We should crucify- better yet, burn them for their opinions.
Kinda like an inquisition of sorts?

[gossamer]!smile.

PhaedraMcSpiffy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:17 pm
[gossamer]!smile.

Quote:

Yes.
How dare they have opinions.
We should crucify- better yet, burn them for their opinions.
Kinda like an inquisition of sorts?

Idiot, it's not about their personal opinion. It's about them forcing their opinion on other people. Did you not read that post at all?

We don't care if they think it's wrong. What we're pissed about is the fact that they are trying to take our rights away just because we disagree with them.

Quote:

....................................Get out.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:24 pm
PhaedraMcSpiffy

Quote:

Actually, alot of people think that. My friend who was raped thinks that it is almost always partly the victim's fault, even in her own case. In case you want to know, she's an athiest and an anarchist.  

nobhdy

Tragic Christmas
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:13 pm
nobhdy
PhaedraMcSpiffy

Quote:

Actually, alot of people think that. My friend who was raped thinks that it is almost always partly the victim's fault, even in her own case. In case you want to know, she's an athiest and an anarchist.

So there are a lot of misogynists out there. Do they want a ******** cookie?

It's not uncommon for victims to have a skewed perspective of rape after their experience. They often do blame themselves, and it doesn't exactly help to have idiots reinforce that attitude.  
Pro-Choice Gaians

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff