Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply Pro-Choice Gaians
Hypocrisy of Religion: Priest ******** Nun, Nun aborts... twice Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Nethilia

Liberal Member

3,450 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:50 pm
Talon-chan
Nethilia
missy wyvern
Some of the talk in this thread is absolutely disgusting. I don't mind if you are not Christian or whatnot (I am not myself), but I would appreciate it if the religion is respected in here and the disgusting talk is kept out of this conversation.

Hear that? That's the sound of you being too sensitive.
I disagree.

How would you like it if people called you a "mud" or "jungle trash" or referred to black culture as "uncivilized" or referred to white people who like black people as having "jungle fever." What if a homosexual was called a f** or a dyke and told their culture is petty, superficial, and that any homosexual who gets AIDs deserved it for being so gosh darn promiscuous?

I don't mind the jokes, but I don't think someone who is insulted because their religion is being mocked, when they hold it very dear and it is as much a part of who they are as race is a part of who you are and sexual orientation is a part of all of us, is being over-sensitive.

Bigotry is bigotry no matter who it comes from or what it is held against.

I find a huge difference between "I think you are a lesser person and will take every measure to make you feel this way including invoking historical slurs" and people making fairly light hearted remarks at a ridiculous scenario and someone going "How dare you make any jokes about a religion whatsoever! How disgusting!" I'm pretty sure our light hearted jokes about religious dildoes are not going to lead to Christians becoming lesser creatures and losing rights and being labeled with over encompassing stereotypes that aren't questioned because they are not the dominate culture.

And BTW, I tend to lose respect for people who think that light humor at the expense of holiness in any way compares to the subjugation and dehumanizing of an entire race. That's a violation of Tubman's Law, in the same way that telling a Jewish person that religious humor compares to the Holocaust is a violation of Godwin's.

Do NOT throw my race in my face.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:13 pm
October Cross
It's not that I don't have respect for Christianity.

I just have no respect for the ones who seem to think it's a good excuse to impose every single literal translation that they make onto others and attempt to pass it as laws on a community that was founded on freedom from religious persecution, be it Satanists, Wiccans, Christians, or any other religion that tries to form intolerance and teaches YOUNG impressionable "PRECIOUS SACRED ALREADY ALIVE" children the same narrow minded views.

I enjoyed the New Testament and I really felt best when it was interpreted by the Liberal Methodist church near my home. They seemed to have this idea that expanding your mind to the differences people have is an important part of Christianity. A big stress point they made was that it is not our place to judge since we are biased sinners as well and that the only person with that right is the Lord himself.

This sort of reinstates my general feelings on the hate that breeds from extreme teachings of the bible:

I like this part
'These people honor me with their lips,
but their hearts are far from me.
9They worship me in vain;
their teachings are but rules taught by men.

I feel the same way. I dislike many of those people as well. They drive me absolutely nuts! It's like you walk into the ED and you see another 'h0m0sexauls R s1nners!!1!11' thread and you just wanna take a knife and stab that thread. >< Gah! Why are some people so stupid?

Oh and just so you all know I wasn't offended by the fact that people were poking fun at Christians/Catholics/whoever (I was amused by the d***o comment to be honest) just that some people are so hateful of the religion, Christianity, for what seems like the wrong reasons.  

SterileNeedles

Eshmasesh

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:56 pm
Kukushka
Talon-chan
Since sex is reserved for marriage only, that also means you can't ever have sex.

Or have sex with God?

Like... masturbate with a crucifix? I mean, technically, she'd be "having sexual relations with her [spiritual] husband."
Oh god xD
That reminds me of a thread that once existed in the psych subforum.
"What do you masturbate with?"
"I masturbate with my toothbrush."
"A fork."
"A Crucific."
A million and one lulz.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:07 pm
Nethilia
Talon-chan
Nethilia
missy wyvern
Some of the talk in this thread is absolutely disgusting. I don't mind if you are not Christian or whatnot (I am not myself), but I would appreciate it if the religion is respected in here and the disgusting talk is kept out of this conversation.

Hear that? That's the sound of you being too sensitive.
I disagree.

How would you like it if people called you a "mud" or "jungle trash" or referred to black culture as "uncivilized" or referred to white people who like black people as having "jungle fever." What if a homosexual was called a f** or a dyke and told their culture is petty, superficial, and that any homosexual who gets AIDs deserved it for being so gosh darn promiscuous?

I don't mind the jokes, but I don't think someone who is insulted because their religion is being mocked, when they hold it very dear and it is as much a part of who they are as race is a part of who you are and sexual orientation is a part of all of us, is being over-sensitive.

Bigotry is bigotry no matter who it comes from or what it is held against.

I find a huge difference between "I think you are a lesser person and will take every measure to make you feel this way including invoking historical slurs" and people making fairly light hearted remarks at a ridiculous scenario and someone going "How dare you make any jokes about a religion whatsoever! How disgusting!" I'm pretty sure our light hearted jokes about religious dildoes are not going to lead to Christians becoming lesser creatures and losing rights and being labeled with over encompassing stereotypes that aren't questioned because they are not the dominate culture.
I agree that there's a huge difference between intentional bigotry and unintentional bigotry, but the point still stands that someone who is insulted when something that is very much a part of them is belittled is not being "oversensitive." You may have intended the joke to be light-hearted, but that doesn't mean someone can't still be offended... unless religion is somehow an aspect of a person's being that is immune to degradation or that if one falls into the majority, being most numerous, can never legitimtely be offended.

Quote:
And BTW, I tend to lose respect for people who think that light humor at the expense of holiness in any way compares to the subjugation and dehumanizing of an entire race. That's a violation of Tubman's Law, in the same way that telling a Jewish person that religious humor compares to the Holocaust is a violation of Godwin's.

Do NOT throw my race in my face.

First: I did not compare the mocking of religion to the Holocaust or Slavery, but to modern day racism and sexism... so your "Tubman" is completely unwarrented and can kiss my a**. Your Tubman is about as meaningful as calling a Goodwin because I happen to mention modern day Germany and what anti-semitism that might still exist there today.

Mocking someone's religion is, actually, on par with mocking their race or mocking their sexual orientation. If one jokingly says something degrading about your race, my race, or about another's sexual orientation, it's the same as mocking their religion - all are deeply a part of an individual. You can't escape this "OMG! GOODWIN! TUBMAN! YOU LOSE!" especially considering that neither would actually be applicable based on what I actually said.

Also you brought up this Tubman thing of yours somewhere before and I told you then I don't really give a damn if your offended by a relevant example.

If the best historical example available to me to demonstrate an idea is racism then I'll use racism. If the best historical example of slavery available to me is American Slavery, then I'll use American slavery. If the best historical example of fascism with regard to anti-semitism is Nazi Germany, then I'll ******** use Nazi Germany. Internet "taboos" be damned, if there's a lesson to be learned from history and the example is relevant and not stretching things a bit much (omg you kicked a puppy hence you are worse than the Nazis, being an example of "a bit much") then it is complete bull s**t to say that it ought to be eliminated from intelligent discussion because one's delicate sensibilities might be offended.

And just so you know, I tend to lose respect for people that are uncaring for a whole segment of people because your ideologies disagree with theirs. Bigotry is bigotry no matter who it is coming from or how they attempt to justify it. Christians are not inherently bad. Religion is not inherently bad. The fact that Christians have the majority in the U.S. does not make them immune from slurs, at least no more than women, being the majority in the world, are immune from sexism, subjegation, and abuse... because the last time I checked, the number of people similar to you has nothing to do with how insulting an insult is to an individual.  

Talon-chan

Nethilia

Liberal Member

3,450 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:37 am
Talon, if you cannot understand why d***o jokes, masturbation, and polygamous nun snarks are not as mean hearted as calling a black person "jungle trash"--and the years of history behind one and not the other--then I will not discuss this topic with you any further. You know I don't hate Christians whatsoever and that I'm not trying to oppress them, and yet you still tried to claim such.

Other people weren't oppressed by the dominant culture to help you make points.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:24 am
Nethilia
Talon, if you cannot understand why d***o jokes, masturbation, and polygamous nun snarks are not as mean hearted as calling a black person "jungle trash"--and the years of history behind one and not the other--then I will not discuss this topic with you any further. You know I don't hate Christians whatsoever and that I'm not trying to oppress them, and yet you still tried to claim such.

Other people weren't oppressed by the dominant culture to help you make points.
I understand the difference, I don't think that difference matters when one is insulted by a light-hearted fun joke that mocks an integral part of who they are. If you don't understand that one is not over-sensitive when insulted by such a joke then I'm not interested in discussing it with you any further.  

Talon-chan

SKJC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:40 pm
So it's okay to be bigoted towards Christians because they aren't "oppressed by the dominant culture" - but being bigoted towards Jews and other religious groups isn't okay because they are or have been? Is that also why it's okay to also be racist against whites but no other race? I'm just trying to understand this reasoning since I see it demonstrated so often in real life.

Just accept that generalized bashing and bigotry towards an entire group of people, even if you do hate a vocal portion of that group for a legitimate reason, is never okay and move on. We're supposed to be the better, more mature, more intelligent, more reasonable side.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:35 pm
Political correctness is retarded.

We all have the freedom of speech, here. Why do the people who are most sensitive decide where that freedom ends?

My only problem is this:

John Stuart Mill once wrote that even though somebody might have the best argument in the world and cannot be refuted, if they cannot refute the opposite point or are not knowledgable on it, they have no business having any position in the matter

Just something to think about.

Oh, and about the title of this thread.

Judging an entire religion based on the empirical evidence that you did is the weakest of all inductive arguments.  

nobhdy

Pro-Choice Gaians

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces