Welcome to Gaia! ::

Naruto: The Way of the Ninja

Back to Guilds

A Naruto role-playing guild using the d20 system, for semi-lit and above RPers. 

Tags: Naruto, roleplay, d20 system, semi-literate, literate 

Reply Crew Test Forum
Battle System FAQ Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 9 10 11 12 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

kouri-chan_xx
Vice Captain

Noob

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:10 pm
For some, the battle system can be tediously easy (especially if you're used to Diablo, D&D, d20s and all that) but for some it can be excruciatingly hard.

There is certainly no shortage of places here in the Way of the Ninja to ask about the Battle System. This is one of them~

I will not explain in depth about the Battle System since it's already in the Game System Forum. I will answer questions though.

Frequently Asked Questions:

Q: What the hell is d20?
A: A d20 is a dice with twenty sides, hence the name. A d6 will have 6 sides and a d100 will have 100 sides, etc. But we never use d100s.

Q: How do I roll d20s?
A: Simple. Go to Post Action>Roll Dice. Select the dice you want [in this case 20 sided] and put the number of dice you want to roll [usually 1].

Q: Random numbers?
A: If an opponent cannot dodge your jutsu you will have to determine damage. The jutsu list will have the damage of the jutsu [we shall use Gouken, 5~16]. To determine damage you go to Post Action>Random Number and put in, in this case, 5 in the lowest and 16 in the highest.

Q: Tell me about mods. [modifiers]
A: Mods are important in the Battle System since they affect a lot of things like Skills etc. To determine mods, you get your stat, take 10 away from it and divide the result by two, rounding down.
For example let's say your Intelligence is 25 and you want to determine the mod so you can see how many Skill Points you can get.
25 - 10 = 15
15/2 = 7.5
7.5 round down = 7
So your mod would be +7.

If those can't help you, ask the questions here. I'm happy to help. =)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:43 am
I've never played any sort of game concerning dice like this before, so it's really confusing. What is a 'check', or a 'save'? It might help if you had a tutorial, or some kind of basic walkthrough...  

l)i(l Inuzuka Mine l)i(l

kouri-chan_xx
Vice Captain

Noob

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:53 am
True that. There was supposed to be one in the Game System Forum but I guess it's just not finished yet. xd In the meantime I and other crew members will help.

Concerning your questions:

1) A 'check'.

Let's say someone levelled 5 with chakra stat 15 does Katon: Goukakyuu no jutsu on you.

On the Jutsu list it says: 'Reflex DC: 10 + Character level + chakra mod for half damage. Neutral 20 or surpassing the save by 10 means no damage.'

Basically DC = check. For jutsus like that which you dodge, you use your Reflex Save, which is your Base Save [10 + wisdom mod + dex mod] + your Dex mod. Makes sense, since you have to be quick on your feet.

All that mumbo jumbo above means that you do this:

10 + 5 [the guy's level] + 2 [the guy's chakra mod] = 17, get over that for half damage.

If you roll a 20, or get 17 + 10 = 27, no damage.

checks aren't only for jutsus though. They can also be used like when you're climbing a mountain, or trying to balance, or trying to seduce someone. You roll a d20 and add it to your Seduction Skill and that is the DC, or check, that your opponent has to break with his d20 and Sense Motive skill.

2) A save is when you're trying to avoid the effects of something, like poison or jutsus.

Three kinds of save: Fortitude, which is for poison, cold weather etc.
Reflex, which is for dodgeable stuff like needle traps, above mentioned Goukakyuu no Jutsu
and Will Save, which is for Genjutsu.

If you need me to elaborate just tell me... I'm kinda tired. Lmao. But I will still answer you.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:14 am
So... what you're saying is that if someone tries to hit me with some kind of attack, I roll to see if it hits or not?

Also, how does one apply to a village? I know you PM the respective Kage, but what do I include?  

l)i(l Inuzuka Mine l)i(l

kouri-chan_xx
Vice Captain

Noob

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:32 am
l)i(l Inuzuka Mine l)i(l
So... what you're saying is that if someone tries to hit me with some kind of attack, I roll to see if it hits or not?

Also, how does one apply to a village? I know you PM the respective Kage, but what do I include?

Yes. You roll to see if you dodge biggrin If you don't dodge it, then you roll a save. [for genjutsu]

About the PMing to the Kage, all you basically do is ask them and include character name and rank. I suppose it would be nice to have the profile done completely, but it's not a must to have it perfectly done.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:10 pm
So, I decided to do the whole profile first, but I'm stuck in the stats. This is what I have so far:

LV. 0
Hp:
Cp:
Strength: 7
Dexterity: 11
Constitution: 12
Intelligence: 10
Wisdom: 7
Charisma: 6
Chakra: 9
Dodge Bonus:

How do I figure out the HP, CP, and Dodge Bonus? Also, is it possible to have a negative modifier?  

l)i(l Inuzuka Mine l)i(l

-c4-cyberlink

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:52 am
to help kouri with some of her work (not that you can't handle it kouri, but i'm online ATM, so i can answer the question quicker)

i see you are just starting, so that makes it easy

to get things straight later, i'll answer the last question first,
yes, it is possible to have a negative modifier, if a stat is below 10, it would be for 8, 8-10--> -2, -2/2 = -1, for 6 it would be 6-10-->-4, -4/2=-2

your HP are, when you begin, 10+you constitution(con) modifier, so in your case, 10+1=11

your CP are, when you begin, 3 plus your chakra(chk) modifier, so in your case, 3-1=2
(9-10=-1, -1/2=-0.5, rounded down gets you -1)

your dodge bonus is 10+dexterity modifier+wisdom modifier, so in your case, 10+0-2=8

hope this clears things up for you biggrin  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:48 am
Thanks. ^^  

l)i(l Inuzuka Mine l)i(l

-c4-cyberlink

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:23 am
no problemo biggrin  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:18 pm
Thanks cyber, I need all the help I can get. xD And the quicker questions are answered the better~  

kouri-chan_xx
Vice Captain

Noob

-c4-cyberlink

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:18 am
just here to help biggrin  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:25 pm
Can you show me an example of someone fighting someone else? Please? So I can see first hand how it's done.

Say for example:

Bill attacks Bob.
Bill rolled his dice and it was 12 out of 20.
Bob rolled his dice and it was 15 out of 20.
Does it also depend on their attack power and their evasion stats?
Would Bill still hit Bob if his overall attack is higher than Bob's evasion points?
Please explain, i think i am confusing myself >_<  

Link3332

-c4-cyberlink

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:49 pm
allrighty, here goes then

Yoroi has a standard attack of 35, and rolls a 19
Tsurugi has a dodge bonus of 44 and rolls a 5
Yoroi hits Tsurugi because 54 is higher then 49

or when Yoroi had thrown a 12, he would have missed, 47 is lower then 49

hope this clears it up, if not, ask another question wink  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:06 am
ok thanks and then what about damage?  

Link3332

kouri-chan_xx generated a random number between 100 and 200 ... 170!

kouri-chan_xx
Vice Captain

Noob

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:35 am
Damage. Let's say you use Kaze no Yaiba, right? The damage is 100-200... so if your opponent fails to dodge, you do a random number between 100 and 200.  
Crew Test Forum

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 9 10 11 12 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff