Reply Debate and Discussion
transcendentalism Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

divineseraph

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:42 pm
i notice a few people in here thinking with their bibles, not their brains. not that anything is wrong with sticking to known texts. but Jesus himself has said that he is not in a book or between walls. He is everywhere, you just need to, as cliche as it may be, follow your heart.

i prefer to think for myself. if it seems like it would be a good idea, if it seems like it'd be cool with God, it usually is. if you need to make up excuses for yourself for why it would be ok, you should probably think a bit deeper about it.

now, i'm no heretic. but i am also not caught up in the fine print of the bible as to be shortsighted. to break off into a sub-debate, what is everyone's oppinion of judaism and islam? i believe thay all worship the same God as us, personally.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:50 pm
I don't see much to wrong with that, but doing things that are deliberetly against God is wrong no matter how you feel. I'm doing the same thing, but again, nothing straight out wrong. I'm debating to myself that having sex with no marrage would be ok, but one, God clearly states that he made sex for a man and a women who were in marrage, and two, I made a serious vow that I wouldn't.
Otherwise, things that have no real yes or no on, I believe what I think is right by my own feelings and what God has told me.
As for those other religions, I don't know what to say really. I have little to no knowledge on the subjects, but some other religions have the same God, just different rules.

Seority

Atarashi No Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:02 am
Christians base what they say on the Bible because it's God's word.

Islam and Judaism are religions. Christianity isn't about religion. It's simply about having a personal relationship with Christ (through prayer and reading God's word).  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:31 am
christ... yes... but i believe that in looking only at Jesus, we lose sight of YHWH, the real guy up top. the best imagery i'd have to offer would be like... if you have a dog, and you want it to look at something, you point at the thing with your finger. and sometimes the dumb dog will just stare at your finger. could it not be possible that jesus is God's finger, pointing us not to Jesus himself but to Jesus's message? and i know we can get that by looking at jesus, but i think God intended us to figure out life for ourselves, with Jesus as a guideline, not a rigid fence which never to pass.

basically, be LIKE jesus, not jesus.  

divineseraph

Seority

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:20 pm
That a good analagy. Jesus is God, but he his the finger that points to God.
Be like Jesus not be Jesus is also a good thing to remember. We are only human while Jesus was that and God, so it's impossible for us to be exactly like Jesus, but just try hard to do what God commands of us and to enjoy ourselves in him.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:25 pm
divineseraph
but Jesus himself has said that he is not in a book or between walls.

Scriptural references?

divineseraph
He is everywhere, you just need to, as cliche as it may be, follow your heart.

Jeremiah 17:9, "The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure. Who can understand it?"  

Pseudo-Onkelos

Adored Admirer

ioioouiouiouio

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:05 pm
divineseraph
christ... yes... but i believe that in looking only at Jesus, we lose sight of YHWH, the real guy up top.

But Jesus is YHWH. Remember, Christianity is a Triune religion. Christ, The Father, and The Holy Spirit are simple three aspects to the same diety.

As to my opinion on judeism and islam.

Judeism: To put it as brief as possible, 'that was then and this is now'. Yes, They worhsip God, howevr, they missed the bit about Christ being the Messiah and all that that entails. They still hold to the levitical law when Christ's forgiveness is there.

Islam: In all honesty, i believe that Islam is a religion created by either a very crazy man or a very crafty man. I believe that Islam was created as a way for Muhammed to gain power, wealth and wives.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:52 pm
Thinking for yourself is good. The problem is when you start confusing your thoughts with God's word. When you think and speak, be clear on whether it is coming from you, or from God.

Seority
I don't see much to wrong with that, but doing things that are deliberetly against God is wrong no matter how you feel. I'm doing the same thing, but again, nothing straight out wrong. I'm debating to myself that having sex with no marrage would be ok, but one, God clearly states that he made sex for a man and a women who were in marrage, and two, I made a serious vow that I wouldn't.

Actually, there is a great deal of scholarly debate on the issue of homosexuality. There are many biblical scholars who believe homosexuality is not a sin, and they can justify such a belief with reason and logic. Unless you feel you have a superior understanding of the Bible than them, it would be best if you refrain from saying, "God clearly states that he made sex for a man and a women who were in marrage."

Homosexuality and abortions are two issues where people tend to intermix their thoughts with God's word.  

zz1000zz

divineseraph

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:54 pm
however, mohammed was spoken to by an ANGEL, whose name was GABRIEL. ( a very nice name, maybe i'll have a child by that name some day) unless he was lying, this pretty much proves that he worships YHWH as well. it is not only a celestial being with wings, but it has the same name as the same type of creature who had carried an important message previously. plus, mohammed was chrisitan to begin with. he WAS human, a prophet yes, but still human. thus, some things the angel imparted may have been misinterpreted or missed. furthermore, they believe that abraham, moses and jesus were all prophets. and of course, i hope you realize that real muslims are not the brash extremists you see on the news. they are actuall a very devote religious group.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:25 pm
zz1000zz

Actually, there is a great deal of scholarly debate on the issue of homosexuality. There are many biblical scholars who believe homosexuality is not a sin, and they can justify such a belief with reason and logic. Unless you feel you have a superior understanding of the Bible than them, it would be best if you refrain from saying, "God clearly states that he made sex for a man and a women who were in marrage."

-x> >_<

"You shall not lie with a male as with a woman. It is an abomination."
Leviticus 18:22

Explain to me how this is unclear.
YES I have read the whole Homosexuality thread, but all I saw was wishy wasing on one stupid latin word. I found nothing that made this false.
My opinion still stands. Christians should not engage in homo relationships.
~Ex.Kin.Fin

Seority

fantrl

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:19 am
Bible+Sacred Apostolic Tradition+Magisterium=All of God's word.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:23 am
divineseraph
however, mohammed was spoken to by an ANGEL, whose name was GABRIEL.
No he wasn't. He was spoken to by a demon. Why else would the "angel" tell him things like Jesus isn't God, trinity is false, wage jihad on unbelievers, and lots of other fallacies? Muhammad wasn't a prophet, he was a false prophet. If Muhammad was a prophet, why aren't you a Muslim?  

fantrl

ioioouiouiouio

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:20 pm
divineseraph
however, mohammed was spoken to by an ANGEL, whose name was GABRIEL. ( a very nice name, maybe i'll have a child by that name some day) unless he was lying, this pretty much proves that he worships YHWH as well. it is not only a celestial being with wings, but it has the same name as the same type of creature who had carried an important message previously. plus, mohammed was chrisitan to begin with. he WAS human, a prophet yes, but still human. thus, some things the angel imparted may have been misinterpreted or missed. furthermore, they believe that abraham, moses and jesus were all prophets. and of course, i hope you realize that real muslims are not the brash extremists you see on the news. they are actuall a very devote religious group.

Well, the god of Christianity says that Jesus was The Messiah, while the god of Islam says that Jesus was a prophet and nothing more.

So, tell me again, how do those two go together?  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:24 am
fantrl
divineseraph
No he wasn't. He was spoken to by a demon. Why else would the "angel" tell him things like Jesus isn't God, trinity is false, wage jihad on unbelievers, and lots of other fallacies? Muhammad wasn't a prophet, he was a false prophet. If Muhammad was a prophet, why aren't you a Muslim?

he did at first believe that he was speaking to a demon. he was very shaken. and i honestly don't believe that jesus IS God, i think he is highly connected, but not the same guy. sort of like God's vice president, of sorts.  

divineseraph

fantrl

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:12 am
divineseraph
fantrl
divineseraph

he did at first believe that he was speaking to a demon. he was very shaken. and i honestly don't believe that jesus IS God, i think he is highly connected, but not the same guy. sort of like God's vice president, of sorts.
The Bible says otherwise.

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." John 1:1

A fundamental Christian belief is Trinity. The belief that there is one God, in three persons-the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.  
Debate and Discussion

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff