Submit

Everyone loves polls! :D
He he, I know. ^_^
100%
 100%  [ 30 ]
Total Votes : 30

Seority

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:01 am
What defines Christian music? Is it only from Christian singers, who are singing to God? Does it matter who sings the song? Does it matter if the lyrics sound odd?
Well, these questions, plus more, are buzzing around in my head. Now I'm not asking you to solve any of them. I would just like to hear your opinions on the subject. Discussing it would be even better.
Please, for my sake, don't say, "Oh I agree with him," and leave. I also don't want to see any one liners people. I would like you to post what you think and WHY you think so. Isn't this also specified in the rules? Well, I;m putting it in again just so you definetly know.

Okay. Time for my side of the story right?
I listen to music, (No, duh!) mostly rock. Any type of rock is fine with me, even if it's from a Christian band or not. I do, however, have standards. Most heavy metal is thrown out in my book because of the 'bad' topics they sing about. I do still listen to some of it since no type of music is truely bad nor good.
One night, at my dad's house, I was listening to my pathetic excuse for a MP3 player. I know that I like to listen to songs that remind me of Christ, along with other things such as love, adventure, slumber and many others, but lets focus on the Christ reason for now.
Now, I like the songs. I particularly don't care who sings it.
I listened to, for the 100th time, "Savin Me" by Nickelback. I truely think that's an awesome song. It was done playing, so the -randomizer- started playing the next song. It was "Savior" by Skillet (a Christian heavy rock band). That particular time, however, I listened to it as if I didn't believe in God. To put my thoughts into words, it just plain scared me. Well, enough of me blabing, here's the lyrics;

'Savin Me' by Nickelback

Prison gates won't open up for me
On these hands and knees I'm crawlin'
Oh, I reach for you
Well I'm terrified of these four walls
These iron bars can't hold my soul in
All I need is you
Come please I'm callin'
And oh I scream for you
Hurry I'm fallin', I'm fallin'

Show me what it's like
To be the last one standing
And teach me wrong from right
And I'll show you what I can be
Say it for me
Say it to me
And I'll leave this life behind me
Say it if it's worth saving me

Heaven's gates won't open up for me
With these broken wings I'm fallin'
And all I see is you
These city walls ain't got no love for me
I'm on the ledge of the eighteenth story
And oh I scream for you
Come please I'm callin'
And all I need from you

Show me what it's like
Say it for me
Say it to me
Hurry I'm fallin'

And all I need is you
Come please I'm callin'
And oh I scream for you

Show me what it's like
Say it for me
Say it to me
Hurry I'm fallin'

Say it for me
Say it to me

'Savior' by Skillet
I’m everything you’ve wanted
I am the one who’s haunting you
I am the eyes inside of you
Stare back at you

There’s nothing left to lose
There’s nothing left to prove
Surrender your love
It’s all you can do, yeah

What you got
What you want
What you need
Gonna be your savior
Everything’s gonna crash and break
But I know, yeah, I know
What you got
What you want
What you need
Gonna be your savior
Your savior

It’s time to redefine
Your deophobic mind
Don’t hesitate, no escape
From secrets on the inside

There’s nothing left to lose
There’s nothing left to prove
Surrender your love
It’s all you can do, yeah

What you got
What you want
What you need
Gonna be your savior
But I know, yeah, I know
What you got
What you want
What you need
Gonna be your savior
Your savior

I am the eyes inside
Staring back at you (2x)

You need, you need me, yeah

What you want
What you need
What you got
What you need

What you got
What you want
What you need
Gonna be your savior
But I know, yeah, I know
What you got
What you want
What you need
Gonna be your savior
Your savior

I’m watching you
Cause you need me
Yeah, yeah, cause you need me
I’m watching you

Now if you look into more of Nickelback songs, you can plainly see that he isn't Christian, but some of his songs do encapture what a Christian would feel towards them selves concerning God. (click here to see another Nickelback's song's lyrics)
There's also some people who confuse me. Have you heard of an Eric Clampton? Well the first song I heard him sing was "My Fathers Eyes", which sounded pretty good. Nice, sweet, kinda gospel, very Christian like. Well then there was "Cocaine". This made me wonder. ... sweatdrop

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:11 pm
Well, to me Christian music in simply music with a christian message. It doesn't matter who's singing it, whether or not they're christian, or even if the song was intended to be christian. As long as it has that meaning, it's a christian song.  

torrinne

LadyAmbrosia

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:23 pm
Well for me Christian music is music that has been annointed by God. I actually have that Nickleback albumn and I bought it because of the song 'Sav'n Me'. The rest of that albulm is very smutty, but I don't regret buying it because that song speaks to me. I don't think it matters that the writers of the song didn't mean the lyrics in a Christian way, God still used it to mean something very deep to me.

I also consider alot of Good Charolette songs to be annointed by God (but they all are Christians, even though alot of people don't consider them to be a "Christian band"). 'We Beleive" still makes me cry and 'Mountain' and 'In This World (Murder)', are really good too.

So yeah, I beleive God can use any song to speak to us, it doesn't matter if the band is Christian or not.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:26 pm
Yeah, I say the same with Evenecance. (Stupid spelling.)
I mean all her songs are quite Christian like right?
I even saw some local youth groups do plays with her music whee .
It's also nice to hear your comments and thank you. ^^

Seority

LadyAmbrosia

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:23 pm
Yeah, I have an EvanEssence cd too, and her songs definetly have Christian meaning for me... I'd like to get some all Christian cd's though... I just don't know any good Christian groups... oh well, lol  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:43 pm
Christian music is anything that can speak to a person's soul, and show them God's love, and by the way, Heavy metal has been used as a tool of christ, for christian metal is my favorite music.........bands like Stryper, underoath, demon hunter, As I lay Dying, Mortification, Antestor, Divine Symphony and Parakletos, these are all under the lord's command!  

Etherealemblem

tubbyflip

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:20 pm
i think the songs are ok but if they say cuss words or make me want to do bad stuff i shouldnt lisin to them  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:18 am
LadyAmbrosia
Yeah, I have an EvanEssence cd too, and her songs definetly have Christian meaning for me... I'd like to get some all Christian cd's though... I just don't know any good Christian groups... oh well, lol

Let's see. I like Sonicflood (yes they're old but who cares?)
Mute Math is my favorite.
Skillet is hard rock. Casting crowns is popular. Oh and you need to see the musical HERO. It combines most music generas with a present like style. It rules in the acting / dancing / singing / songs ^_^.

Seority

Seority

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:21 am
MagisterofJesusChrist
Christian music is anything that can speak to a person's soul, and show them God's love, and by the way, Heavy metal has been used as a tool of christ, for christian metal is my favorite music.........bands like Stryper, underoath, demon hunter, As I lay Dying, Mortification, Antestor, Divine Symphony and Parakletos, these are all under the lord's command!

I know not all of it is bad. Most of what I hear though. Kinda like present day rap. I have yet to hear a song that doesn't include drugs, sex, money, women, violence, ghettos and junk like that. It's really annoying to hear when you ride around with a person who likes that stuff. XP

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:41 am
Seority
LadyAmbrosia

Let's see. I like Sonicflood (yes they're old but who cares?)
Mute Math is my favorite.
Skillet is hard rock. Casting crowns is popular. Oh and you need to see the musical HERO. It combines most music generas with a present like style. It rules in the acting / dancing / singing / songs ^_^.

I'll have to check it out... it's so weird, I've considered myself a Christian for as long as I can remember, but i'm just waking up to what the walk can truely be, if nurtured.  

LadyAmbrosia

Etherealemblem

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:44 am
Seority
MagisterofJesusChrist

I know not all of it is bad. Most of what I hear though. Kinda like present day rap. I have yet to hear a song that doesn't include drugs, sex, money, women, violence, ghettos and junk like that. It's really annoying to hear when you ride around with a person who likes that stuff. XP

I'd headbang to it anyways.....just because Meaningless lyrics mean nothing to me, if it sounds good and not TOO satanic, then it's good enough for me........check out the bands I listed if you want to see TRUE metal.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:57 pm
LadyAmbrosia

I'll have to check it out... it's so weird, I've considered myself a Christian for as long as I can remember, but i'm just waking up to what the walk can truely be, if nurtured.

Yeah. I felt the same way a few years ago. Now I feel like I know it all and that's bad. ^^'

Seority

Seority

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:03 pm
MagisterofJesusChrist

I'd headbang to it anyways.....just because Meaningless lyrics mean nothing to me, if it sounds good and not TOO satanic, then it's good enough for me........check out the bands I listed if you want to see TRUE metal.

I used to do the same thing with System Of Down (not really heavy, but they do scream a lot! xd ) and I listened to them so much that I knew the words without really wanting to know them. So, there I was walking home with my friend one day and I started 'singing' "Bounce". My friend gave me a scared / weird look and said, "Do you know what they mean by 'bounce'?!?" and for the first time I thought like that and then was in shock. I sang that song all day at school. I thought about the people that heard me, who then must of thought badly of me, expessially the ones who I told that I was a Christian.
Yes, I do still listen to them from time to time, but not as much and I don't like singing their songs. (Even though 'Hypnotize' wasn't to bad.) That music makes me lose control and become seriously angry when I'm getting stressed out. Like playing Battlefeild and keep getting sniped stressed . Anyway, that's mostly why I don't listen to them to much.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:21 am
Seority
LadyAmbrosia

Yeah. I felt the same way a few years ago. Now I feel like I know it all and that's bad. ^^'

lol I'm just thrilled that God stuck around and waited for me to stop being a spoiled brat!  

LadyAmbrosia

Etherealemblem

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:37 pm
Seority
MagisterofJesusChrist

I used to do the same thing with System Of Down (not really heavy, but they do scream a lot! xd ) and I listened to them so much that I knew the words without really wanting to know them. So, there I was walking home with my friend one day and I started 'singing' "Bounce". My friend gave me a scared / weird look and said, "Do you know what they mean by 'bounce'?!?" and for the first time I thought like that and then was in shock. I sang that song all day at school. I thought about the people that heard me, who then must of thought badly of me, expessially the ones who I told that I was a Christian.
Yes, I do still listen to them from time to time, but not as much and I don't like singing their songs. (Even though 'Hypnotize' wasn't to bad.) That music makes me lose control and become seriously angry when I'm getting stressed out. Like playing Battlefeild and keep getting sniped stressed . Anyway, that's mostly why I don't listen to them to much.

if it becomes a problem, then yes it is bad, but I myself never get affected by secular songs...unless it's a GOOD influence....but that is me, not you or anyone else, people react different, plus I only remeber songs I like...  
Debate and Discussion

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff