Reply Painting and Modelling Discussion
Taking Photos of Minatures Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

SkitsOverburn

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 10:35 am
Alright Kids, I am getting a bit irrated at seeing your beuatiful models, just a bit out of focuse, or worse.. not lit at all, so I have some Advice.

Frist, make sure your area is well lit, even if the camera has a flash, you still want to light the area around the models. This is extra special in the case of trying to get crisp photos. Darker shots are hard to tell where the "point of interest" is since you can't see.

Second, Placement. Models are not like people, and so most people as a tendency to get very very close to take the photo, thinking it will draw more attention to details. What it really does is confus the camera, which ends up being just too damn close to focus on anything. You want to keep your models about mnid-distance from you. Say 12 to 16 inches. Just about the same distance you would use when priming your models.

Third, backgrounds: You want to place at least a white piece of paper under the models you are photographing, and if you can you also want to place another as a back-drop. This makes sure the camera doesn't focus on anything weird in the background. Like that beer bottle behind your chapalin, or the router next to your monitor. Also this white back drop can be used to eliminate extra flashs from glass.

Fourth, Photoshop or another program. If you have it use it. What I mean is basically, TAKE BIG HIGH RESOLUTION PHOTOS. If the camera can take it, and you have anyway of cutting down the picture with photoshop or a simillar program, use it. This will get you that detail you really really want.. and you can be 2-3 feet away from the model.

Fifth, Number of Photos. Since most of these are Digital Camera shots, I know this one will be really easy. Take at least 3 photos of the same fig. This gives you a few to look through. This by the way is done my professionals all the time. A professional photographer will take the same picture or simillar pictures, sometime using up an entire roll of film, just to get one shot. This is even easier with Digital. I normally take 6-10 shots of each model I wish to show. Then I pick the one or the few that show the best angle, lighting, focus, and detail.

Lastly, Respect. Please try and resize your images. We have all been guilty of ot resizing at one point or another(me included). But please try to remeber even if the picture is SUPER GOOD. Waiting for a 1900 by 1200 wide screen picture of your WAGGGH boss to load can be a pain... and then I have to scroll through it to even see it.

Now I know some people will be unable to use this advice, as you are using web-cams, or maybe even older cameras. Reguardless some of this should still help. IE white back ground, Mid-distance(although with a Web cam I am not sure what it is.), and multiple shots.

I love looking at other peoples work, I love seeing the AWESOME paint jobs some of you do. BUT IT KILLS ME, when I can't see cause it is dark as hell or it looks like the model was running away when you took the picture.

smile

Ryan  
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 1:57 pm
I like this. I'll sticky it after I post this.

If you have a digital camera, you want to set it to SCENE*, and the flower icon that indicates that it's set to focus up close.

* Not scene but MACRO

NO, it is under scene, on the Nikons. Please don't edit my posts, whoever is guilty.  

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

Andreis

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:59 am
NOTE:
A white backround is not the best for every model.

Color plays a large part.
I set up a total white floor and backround for my avatar while he was half painted, I was testing paint schemes and wanted opinions, well I have yet to get a satisfactory picture due to how either dark the avatar himself is coming out, or how blury he is.

If the model is a dark color, than it is very possible that the camera will focus on the back ground rather than the model. Very frustrating. Somone suggested using a Grey instead of white, and I will try that next.

So dark models may need a darker than white backround to get proper focus on them.

NOTE 2:
I am not sure about everyone elses, but my camera takes smaller pictures when it uses the close up MACRO.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:55 pm
If you had time and spare pvc on your hands you might try this..

http://www.pbase.com/wlhuber/light_box_light_tent

I have one that I built for other small stuff I photograph, and it went together pretty easy.  

ecart

Painting and Modelling Discussion

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces